Against Law to hold bible study? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by floweravalanche View Post
It's not that simple, some leave earlier then others, family emergencies, etc. Some probably do car pool I know I do sometimes, but some can't for emergency reasons etc
Of course it's not that simple. I'm mocking the fact that this shouldn't be news.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:53 PM
INDY, flower, did either of you actually read the article?

This is just one over zealous code enforcer, that's it, don't fall for this...

I'm hoping you are smarter than this.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:02 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Carpool. Problem solved.
Permit on-street parking only on certain residential streets. It's great to actually be able to park on your own street.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:23 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

The idea of not being able to park on a particular street is foreign to me.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:36 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: Where the streets have no name, In God's Country, wherever he takes me, currently Seattle, WA
Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
INDY, flower, did either of you actually read the article?

This is just one over zealous code enforcer, that's it, don't fall for this...

I'm hoping you are smarter than this.
I read it and was just stating a couple things nothing more nothing less.

but like I always say to each its own.

I wonder if I would get in trouble for have the wrong car parked in the wrong area because it cause traffic. HEY LOOK EVERYONE MY CAR IS PINK WITH POKA DOTS!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The idea of not being able to park on a particular street is foreign to me.
It was to me until I moved to an area bordering on an area which gets huge crowds at certain times a year. Not being able to park on your own street (or even more maddening -- being boxed in your own driveway by someone who just didn't want to pay to park in a lot) gets old really quick.

On the plus side, there are lots of fender-benders on these busy days to provide entertainment for the residents.

The permit only parking, which is actually only on a few of the most affected streets, and fairly aggressive ticketing/towing policy over the past couple of years has really helped the situation.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Quote:
I think it wouldn't have gotten into a realgouis attack if the officer didn't ask, do you say amen and do you say praise God, could of just ask can you please dont have so many people or have it somewhere else or something..
The article is very vague, and we're really only getting one side of the story. Perhaps the code enforcer needed to determine the difference between whether the gathering was a bible study or a full fledged church service. I'm sure there's some code against holding actual church services in a residential home... even if it were something as simple as a fire code. Again, it's not a specific religious issue, it's a zoning issue. A church is considered something of a business, and may not be allowed in a residential area. Just like I could get in trouble if I decided to open up a beauty parlor in my kitchen. The line between what is lawful could be determined simply by whether I was just doing nails, or if I was doing perms too. I might need a permit for one and not the other, but I wouldn't shout "hair discrimination!" over it if an official questioned me about it.

Quote:
Like I said before I go to bible studies at homes it's nothing more then a few friends getting together, reading their bible, etc. No different then a book club etc.
How big is a book club, usually? Five people? We don't know how many people are attending this bible study. It could be upwards of 20+. That's a lot of cars. I know I'd be pissed if I got home and found I couldn't park near my own home or pull into my own driveway because the street was packed with guests of a single neighbour... to me I wouldn't care whether they were praising God or frying a turkey in the back yard. They don't need to be parking their cars all over the place.

Quote:
There are two things going on here in my opinion personal attacks and a concern of safety because of the "traffic" but I never had problems when I went to bible studies. But yeah whatever.
I never had problems when I went to bible studies either... and these were large gatherings of people... but we weren't blocking residential streets. Parking was done in a single, large, private driveway.

Quote:
But we don't have to be having personal attacks in this fourm over it.
I wasn't referring to your panties, dear. I was referring to the people in the article.

Quote:
Of course it's not that simple. I'm mocking the fact that this shouldn't be news.
It's only news because people want something to complain about, and certain groups of people love to imagine they're being discriminated against.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Car pool. Unless there is a large amount of people, that should be a win/win.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:53 AM
If this was simply a parking problem, why the intrusive questions about whether or not attendees said "Amen" or "praise the Lord"?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:37 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
It was to me until I moved to an area bordering on an area which gets huge crowds at certain times a year. Not being able to park on your own street (or even more maddening -- being boxed in your own driveway by someone who just didn't want to pay to park in a lot) gets old really quick.

On the plus side, there are lots of fender-benders on these busy days to provide entertainment for the residents.

The permit only parking, which is actually only on a few of the most affected streets, and fairly aggressive ticketing/towing policy over the past couple of years has really helped the situation.
My only experience is dealing with all these fucking grad parties at this time of year. They're sell-outs, man.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
If this was simply a parking problem, why the intrusive questions about whether or not attendees said "Amen" or "praise the Lord"?
Something about figuring out what kind of gathering to file it under as. I'm sure it wasn't as intrusive as the "we're oppressed Christians!" types were making it out to be.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
Something about figuring out what kind of gathering to file it under as. I'm sure it wasn't as intrusive as the "we're oppressed Christians!" types were making it out to be.
Quote:
The written warning to Jones noted an “unlawful use of land” and ordered him to stop hosting “religious assemblies.”
Seems pretty obvious to me.