it's a red velvet cake, too.
You're sick!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Why is one woman's choice to "celebrate" her abortion disturbing to you? Maybe it is worthy of celebration in her view, and there's nothing wrong with that. Would it make you feel better if she'd suffered for her decision? Was she not sufficiently repentant for your liking?
No, it would not make me feel better if she was suffering, with tears rolling down her face. As I said, I am pro-choice, so she doesn't need to be "repentant" for my liking.

I just see abortion as sad, unfortunate decision to make. Some women who get abortions do so because they are too young, or don't have the money to raise a child. So when they choose to terminate the pregnancy, personally, I think that is sad, because an abortion really is the termination of a pregnancy - which ends the making of a life, even if it is a bunch of cells at that point. So, for a woman to throw a party with people dancing around to party music, all because she is going through a procedure that can be emotionally tolling for me, is disturbing to me. Throwing a party for an abortion, is like, "Yay! She's going to have the fetus suctioned right out of her! Hooray!"

I see nothing wrong with collecting money to pay for the abortion, btw. But throwing a celebration is bit much.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #33
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Nope. There are people on both sides of the issue who do things that make their side look bad.
That's a very mature and honest answer, thank you.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post

A few years ago, I was horrified to hear an anti-abortion ad on a fairly large rock radio station in this area that directly linked abortion with increased suicide. I contacted the station manager and requested that he pull the ad. In our communications over several days, he first refused to. Subsequently, I explained to him that his station ought to feel responsibility for spreading false information to its listeners, particularly ones as vulnerable as those who are experiencing unwanted pregnancies. I suggested he challenge the organization to provide proof that abortion does in fact cause an increase in suicides, and explained to him what to look for as far as reputable sources go, as opposed to anti-abortion group propaganda. He said he'd get back to me, then within a day or two, he contacted me to let me know they were unable to come up with anything, and as a result, the ad was being pulled. I hope I was able to prevent at least one girl or woman from feeling emotionally bullied by the spread of false information.

For fighting bullshit.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
No, it would not make me feel better if she was suffering, with tears rolling down her face. As I said, I am pro-choice, so she doesn't need to be "repentant" for my liking.

I just see abortion as sad, unfortunate decision to make. Some women who get abortions do so because they are too young, or don't have the money to raise a child. So when they choose to terminate the pregnancy, personally, I think that is sad, because an abortion really is the termination of a pregnancy - which ends the making of a life, even if it is a bunch of cells at that point. So, for a woman to throw a party with people dancing around to party music, all because she is going through a procedure that can be emotionally tolling for me, is disturbing to me. Throwing a party for an abortion, is like, "Yay! She's going to have the fetus suctioned right out of her! Hooray!"

I see nothing wrong with collecting money to pay for the abortion, btw. But throwing a celebration is bit much.
It's sad to you, but she obviously didn't feel that way - or maybe she did, and that was just her way of coping. Whatever the case, I'm not comfortable sitting in judgment of someone for the way they choose to react to a situation like this. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks BonosSaint, I was very happy with the result.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
You've neatly avoiding mentioning problems with depression, etc, that many women have to deal with after abortions.

there's postpartum depression as well.

i think you mean to ask: aren't there consequences when heterosexuals choose to have unprotected sex?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
this is an 'out take' from the Bruno movie.
You just read my mind.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Fabulously outrageous and sick.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:52 AM
If an abortion is a cause for relief or celebration in a particular woman's life, there are probably better ways of celebrating. Throwing a party with booze and makeshift wombs? Odd and in poor taste. Obviously we can't stop anyone from coping in their own personal way, but they can't stop us from seeing it as such. It's the ending of a life or cluster of cells that potentially are life, which is generally a cause for at least some degree of somber respect. I'd point out the idea of divorce parties for comparison. They're usually a positive, fun way of celebrating a likely sad ending to something, but there are no lives being terminated in the process, just lives moving forward.

There are surely more tasteful ways to support a woman who's dealing with having an abortion, though I doubt these parties are or will ever be the norm anyway. It seems abortion will always be a heavy issue for most women who make that choice. I do have to say, I have one friend who I'm quite sure would throw one of these parties if she ever had an abortion. She's absolutely set against having children and has absolutely no emotional attachment to the idea of a pregnancy. We've had a few discussions on the issue. We're completely opposite in our views, but we respect each other's views, nonetheless. I'd be interested in her opinion on this article..

Anyway, I don't think this is a pro-choice/pro-life issue necessarily, just a matter of personal opinion.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Nope. There are people on both sides of the issue who do things that make their side look bad.
Can't argue with that.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #41
Refugee

Quote:
On Facebook, Glamour magazine has a link to an article that discusses it becoming the norm for women planning to have an abortion through a party ahead of it. I found a link to the story, and here it is:

My First Abortion Party | Reproductive Justice and Gender | AlterNet

Although the article -written by a guy - mostly discusses a guy's role in an abortion, I posted this because I am shocked that abortion parties actually exist. While I do support a woman's right to choose, throwing a party sounds disturbing to me. Why not just simply ask money from friends, and get it done - not basically celebrate something that, I believe, is a sad thing to go through.

What do you think?
I agree with you.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #42
Refugee

Quote:

I think so too....
Old 07-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

"The norm"??? I've never heard of such a thing until this thread.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
there's postpartum depression as well.
Point.

I wouldn't personally abort a baby (unless it was destined to die anyway), but I do know people who have experienced such terrible postpartum depression that they simply couldn't have as many kids as they wanted, and even one coupled with such horrific pregnancies that a very early abortion would be considered.

But I agree with Kaf, it's not really a pro-life/choice issue. It's just plain weird.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
"The norm"??? I've never heard of such a thing until this thread.
Me either. Having worked at an OB/GYN clinic. The women seeking medical treatment to terminate a pregnancy, were not in a festive mood. They would have council with a therapist to make sure, it was the right decision for them. Then, if the following day, there was any doubt. The procedure would not be performed by the doctor.