2009 - The Year of the Idler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has Capitalism finally come to it's long awaited end?

Just one question though. I'm already an idler, so do I now do less less or do I do less more? :hmm:

Long Now Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Long Now Foundation, established in 1996, is a private organization that seeks to become the seed of a very long-term cultural institution. It aims to provide a counterpoint to what it views as today's "faster/cheaper" mindset and to promote "slower/better" thinking. The Long Now Foundation hopes to creatively foster responsibility in the framework of the next 10,000 years. To emphasize this horizon, the group writes years using five digits instead of four: 02009 instead of 2009.

“ When I was a child, people used to talk about what would happen by the year 02000. For the next thirty years they kept talking about what would happen by the year 02000, and now no one mentions a future date at all. The future has been shrinking by one year per year for my entire life. I think it is time for us to start a long-term project that gets people thinking past the mental barrier of an ever-shortening future. I would like to propose a large (think Stonehenge) mechanical clock, powered by seasonal temperature changes. It ticks once a year, bongs once a century, and the cuckoo comes out every millennium. ”
—Danny Hillis

Slow it down..beneath the noise, below the din...

Aesop came up recently, so why not....

The Tortoise and The Hare

There once was a speedy hare who bragged about how fast he could run. Tired of hearing him boast, Slow and Steady, the tortoise, challenged him to a race. All the animals in the forest gathered to watch.

Hare ran down the road for a while and then and paused to rest. He looked back at Slow and Steady and cried out, "How do you expect to win this race when you are walking along at your slow, slow pace?"

Hare stretched himself out alongside the road and fell asleep, thinking, "There is plenty of time to relax."

Slow and Steady walked and walked. He never, ever stopped until he came to the finish line.

The animals who were watching cheered so loudly for Tortoise, they woke up Hare.

Hare stretched and yawned and began to run again, but it was too late. Tortoise was over the line.

After that, Hare always reminded himself, "Don't brag about your lightning pace, for Slow and Steady won the race!"

I just ordered "The Idle Parent" from "The Idler" website. I never heard of any of this until I read this thread. So, thanks. I am looking forward to reading it. I had to order it in from The Idler website itself (since I could not find it on sale in the USA). Amazon.com (US) is not selling it yet.

The Long Now Foundation, established in 1996, is a private organization that seeks to become the seed of a very long-term cultural institution. It aims to provide a counterpoint to what it views as today's "faster/cheaper" mindset and to promote "slower/better" thinking. The Long Now Foundation hopes to creatively foster responsibility in the framework of the next 10,000 years. To emphasize this horizon, the group writes years using five digits instead of four: 02009 instead of 2009.

Shades of Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation' stories (love the idea, can't get through the boring writing). All around it was growing, we just gave it a name.

Back
Top Bottom