2008 Vice-Presidential Thread - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #346
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:27 PM
I found myself taken aback as I read the results of MSNBC.com's poll inquiring about their readers' opinion of the Biden pick last night, just an hour or two after the news had broken. I was taken aback by the comments of a handful of those who had voted that they thought Biden was the wrong choice. They were Hilary supporters, and each one, in one way or another, said that Biden was a bad choice and that Obama should have picked Hilary, and 'sorry but he[Obama] just lost my vote'.

I don't know how many of you are out there that share this viewpoint, but I beg of you, please, come to your senses!

Do you not understand that all the indications are that Senator Clinton did NOT. WANT. TO. BE. V. P.? And that the reason is that there are certain financial records that the Clintons don't want to give up? And that in all likelihood Senators Obama and Clinton agreed that it wasn't going to happen MONTHS ago, as Senator Clinton was preparing to concede? She didn't want it, and yet a staggering number of you are acting as if Senator Clinton was just waiting for Senator Obama's call, and Senator Obama just snubbed her. This is a fantasy that you have made up, perhaps in an attempt to justify your decision to vote for Senator McCain in November.

You are behaving like sore losers. That candidate that wins your heart doesn't always win the election. Some us are still infuriated about Al Gore's loss in 2000, but we eventually had to move on. And Senator Clinton didn't have an election stolen from her by a partisan Supreme Court either. She simply lost, fair and square - it's not as if there's any foul play to be pissed off about. When the candidate that wins your heart loses, you have to move on to the next best thing - the candidate that wins your mind even if not your heart. The broad strokes of Senator Obama's policies and Senator Clinton's policies are essentially identical for the most part. Yet you want to vote for the guy who stands for everything your own candidate was fighting and will continue to fight for?

I have searched and searched for a rational explanation for this, and I can only think of one: The majority of you are women, and you are afraid that you won't see another woman come along in your lifetime capable of winning the presidency of this country. It's possible that some of you have projected all of the hope you've ever had of women making it in a world of men onto Senator Clinton, and that when she was defeated, you felt it as not only a rejection of her, but a rejection of women in a world of men, period. Perhaps this is understandable. Perhaps, as a guy, it is impossible for me to really know what it's like to be a woman in a man's world. I accept that.

But can't you see that if Senator Obama, a black man, were to be elected president, that that would do more to clear a path for women to be elected in the future than anything else ever has in the history of this nation? It would be a historic, barrier-breaking declaration that you don't have to be a white male to be elected president anymore. It would be a turning point in our history, the point where we, as a people, started crossing out the superficial limitations of race and gender among others that have been pre-requisite to the highest office in the land for so long.

And you would rather Senator McCain win? So that not only will the country continue to be run on policy that contradicts everything your own candidate stands for, but also that we as a people will send the world the message that, even when a black man and a woman got this far, we STILL couldn't bring ourselves to do it, that we just elected yet another white man, and that, when we had the chance of a lifetime to shatter the so-called glass ceiling, we instead opted to call a repair man to come in and fix the cracks that Senators Obama and Clinton have worked so hard for the past year and a half to make? Is that REALLY what you want?

I don't think it is. My great fear is that just enough of you will go to the polls in November and with Senator Clinton's loss still stinging, vote for Senator McCain, thinking that not enough of you will vote for him to actually give him victory, and then at 3AM the next morning, when all the news networks are calling the election for Senator McCain, you will be staring at your TV with an unsatisfied, sinking feeling, as you slowly come to the realization of what you've done - that your bitterness and disappointment over Senator Clinton's loss will have led you to put a man in the Oval Office that will spend at least four years doing everything he can to move the country in the opposite direction of where Senator Clinton and Senator Obama would want to take it. And that two years later, you'll find yourselves pissed off at McCain's policies the same way you've been pissed off at George Bush's policies, and you'll be kicking yourself for not voting for Obama, only then, it'll be too late.

To vote McCain out of spite like that - to quote something Chris Matthews said a couple months ago - would be a ridiculous way to use the vote for which people fought and died.

Don't let that happen. I don't think you truly want to. So please, listen to what Senator and President Clinton say at the convention this week - their speeches will more than likely be primarily geared to give you their blessing and encouragement to vote for Senator Obama - and please, please, think, really think, about what you're doing long and hard before you go to the polls in November. The direction this country goes in may will depend on it.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:56 AM   #347
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 04:27 AM
i just find the whole fractured party thing mind boggling. To not vote for a candidate simply because you wanted another one running, but you still support the same ideas, is ludicrious. If McCain wins the election, the USA has something seriously rotten going on with its people.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:39 AM   #348
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I found myself taken aback as I read the results of MSNBC.com's poll
But can't you see that if Senator Obama, a black man, were to be elected president, that that would do more to clear a path for women to be elected in the future than anything else ever has in the history of this nation?
If one would like to see a woman President they should vote for McCain

In 2012 Hillary will be the odds on favorite.

That will not be the case if Obama is elected.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:10 AM   #349
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
If one would like to see a woman President they should vote for McCain

In 2012 Hillary will be the odds on favorite.

That will not be the case if Obama is elected.
No one can accurately predict that outcome. There are so many variables that could come into play between now and 2012 that could nullify this little scenario, that to vote in this election based on anticipating a Hillary win in 2012 is far too risky, and just plain foolish.

Excellent post, namkcuR.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:27 PM
So how about that Biden?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #351
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
So how about that Biden?

There will be at least one spin-off, don't worry

He had to pick Biden, don't think he had much of a choice there among those who were being considered. It's weird- I remember posting a long time ago about his comment about Obama being bright, clean, and articulate and all that. Now he's the VP. I wonder if McCain will actually dare to make an ad using that quote..

Also I watched some of Fox News' coverage of Biden, that Neil Cavuto kept harping over and over about Biden's "compound" and his "Hyde Parklike" driveway. They are so pathetic.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #352
ONE
love, blood, life

In my opinion -

The BEST CANDIDATE for the president would be Hillary Clinton. That would make her the best choice for VP. And I predicted a LONG LONG time ago, that this party would fracture based on the Hillary Obama race. This was another reason, she should have been the choice as she should have chosen him if she had won.

Maybe he next election they will not use proportional delegates to pick the candidate.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #353
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
In my opinion -

The BEST CANDIDATE for the president would be Hillary Clinton. That would make her the best choice for VP
You'd better run for your life after posting that here
Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #354
Blue Crack Addict

i loved ur post namkcuR... Well said.

I too, can't get over the fact that the Clinton supporters are so upset about their loss that they are going to vote for McCain just because their candidate lost. That's really supporting the democratic cause... not!
To me, it's childish and immature. My candidate lost so f-you i am gonna vote for the other party, so there...nanner, nanner, nanner... *sticks out tongue*

shit, I am a woman too and thought wow if Hillary were to become president what a amazing earth shattering historical event that would be. When she lost well, I was disappointed but hey, I didn't throw a fit and stamp my feet and say, well I am not voting for Obama then I am going to vote for a Republican whose policies, values and views go against everything that I believe in for the next four years.

I completely support Obama and will vote for him in Nov.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #355
Blue Crack Addict

Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #356
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Are we allowed to mention Joe Biden's middle name?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #357
ONE
love, blood, life

I have heard a weird rumor that McCain is contemplating picking Hillary.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #358
Blue Crack Addict

hah! yeah... that will so happen...^

not.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #359
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Are we allowed to mention Joe Biden's middle name?
I Googled it. It's "Robinette"
Old 08-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #360
She's the One

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Quote:
“She won millions of votes. But isn’t on his ticket. Why? For speaking the truth,” the narrator in the ad says.
That's funny coming from a Republican.