2008 U.S. Presidential Election: Vice-Presidential Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys are so partisan it's laughable. My friend, who is working for Obama in New York just emailed me and said Palin won the first 15 min and Biden is winning the second 15 min. At least he's not so partisan (even though he is) to laugh off everything she says. I'm listening on the computer (unable to watch unfortunately) and she sounds surprisingly astute compared to the t.v. interviews. It's kinda weird isn't it???

You guys are so partisan it's laughable. My friend, who is working for Obama in New York just emailed me and said Palin won the first 15 min and Biden is winning the second 15 min. At least he's not so partisan (even though he is) to laugh off everything she says. I'm listening on the computer (unable to watch unfortunately) and she sounds surprisingly astute compared to the t.v. interviews. It's kinda weird isn't it???

On another forum I browse, they're more or less calling it evens. Let's face it, we knew all along that the thread on FYM would be a 'Ohmigods, Palin's failin' shitefest.

Agreed. They're both doing a good job...I think this debate is actually better than the obama/mccain debate last friday

If you take expectation into play, she's winning.

Thats coming from a left leaning independent

I think most people hear what they want to hear in these debates. :shrug:

I'm about 15 minutes behind live, so this may be a little delayed...

She's coming across pretty darn well overall. However, many of her answers are, surprise, surprise, lacking substance, and showing a lack of understanding.

On the subject of McCain's support of deregulation, she says "well when it comes to rules and regulations, you know it's well known that John McCain is a maverick, like when it comes to tobacco laws..."

1. That shows very poor listening comprehension. Deregulation is not "rules and regulations," Sarah.
2. It completely dodges the question. Completely. She offered no rebuttal to Biden's claims.

Partisan opinion? She's not standing there drooling like an idiot. Some questions she's answering fairly well, but she's also dodging a heck of a lot of others. Biden just seems more direct and to the point to me. If that's partisan, so be it.

Can someone explain what the CNN graph of Ohio voters is supposed to be measuring?

The opinions of a small group of undecided Ohio voters split between Republicans, Dems and Independents, 32 altogether. It's in real time, whether they feel positively, neutral, or negatively about what the candidate is currently saying.

Was there any possible way for her to "win" this debate? What would she have to do? Even from the beginning?

Everyone is waiting for her to so much as stutter to put her down.

I'm about 15 minutes behind live, so this may be a little delayed...

She's coming across pretty darn well overall. However, many of her answers are, surprise, surprise, lacking substance, and showing a lack of understanding.

On the subject of McCain's support of deregulation, she says "well when it comes to rules and regulations, you know it's well known that John McCain is a maverick, like when it comes to tobacco laws..."

1. That shows very poor listening comprehension. Deregulation is not "rules and regulations," Sarah.
2. It completely dodges the question. Completely. She offered no rebuttal to Biden's claims.

Spot on. And the above applies to the 15 minutes you missed, too.

Listen, she's not bumbling like she did in all of her interviews. But is that the only qualification we're looking for to say that she's doing well?

Two-thirds of the questions she's responding to have not been met with answers. In the first 40 minutes, she dodged questions she didn't want to answer and instead gave canned responses to tangent topics. How many answers of hers started off with: "First, Gwen, let me go back and address...," only to never get to the question asked?

Was there any possible way for her to "win" this debate? What would she have to do? Even from the beginning?

Everyone is waiting for her to so much as stutter to put her down.

That's just it---if she doesn't stutter and bumble around, she'll be seen as "winning" by "not losing."

The opinions of a small group of undecided Ohio voters split between Republicans, Dems and Independents, 32 altogether. It's in real time, whether they feel positively, neutral, or negatively about what the candidate is currently saying.

But how do we tell if they're agreeing or disagreeing with Biden or Palin?

But how do we tell if they're agreeing or disagreeing with Biden or Palin?

The middle part of the graph is neutral. Up is positive, down is negative. Look at the very right side of it as they're speaking - that shows the impact of the current words. If the line goes up, the people agree, if it goes down, they disagree. And as you can see, it's split between men and women, men green, women orangey.

The very right side indicates the thoughts on the current words spoken, so, it's whoever's speaking at the time.

Dread,

I've been readin you for years now and respect your opinion.

Who's winning?

It is hard to call, because of the expectations.

Take that away, he has been more direct in answering questions. I think he is ahead.

I had such low expectations, I am trying to sort through in my mind, is she really doing better?

I am leaning Joe.

Back
Top Bottom