2008 U.S. Presidential Election: Vice-Presidential Debate - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #241
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
I think Palin did a good job, especially considering the beating that she has taken the past two weeks. Despite Biden's massive advantage in foreign policy experience she was able to get some good shots in that Biden could not rebut. He either avoided the point or repeated his prior response which so many people criticize Palin for doing.
And how do you think Palin did at responding to Biden's shots?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #242
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Are these internet polls? If so, no wonder. internet polls are never accurate.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #243
Refugee

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
And how do you think Palin did at responding to Biden's shots?
She responded better than she has in the recent interviews and blocked a few and scored against Joey in his "specialty".
Old 10-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #244
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Are these internet polls? If so, no wonder. internet polls are never accurate.

The Fox poll is from text messages, over a million so far with it being 86% Palin, 14% Biden.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:07 AM
I found her folksy, cutesy mannerisms quite fake actually.
It worked with Bush but at least he seemed genuinely folksy - or at least he did when debating Gore, appearing on Letterman, etc
Old 10-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #246
Blue Crack Supplier

i thought Joe Biden and Gwen Ifill had an interesting debate.

there was some other lady over in the corner who was talking less sense than the homeless people who talk to buildings or yell at trashcans. she did manage to put together some complete sentences, which is a massive victory for some folks, especially since there was no follow up questions that would make it clear that she has no actual grasp of any national or international issue.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #247
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Well, none of the comments here in little San Francisco are a surprise tonight.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #248
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
I hate folksiness.

totally. i hate words like "fixin's" or, really, any gerund where you drop the "g." totally stupid. i also hate phrases like "god bless 'em."

makes me insane with anger.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

I really liked this short article, hit the nail right on the head.

Quote:
Joe Biden did more for the equality of the sexes with his honest display of paternal emotion during the vice presidential debate than Sarah Palin's presence on the executive ticket has or will ever do.

Biden visibly teared up when he rebutted the idea that "just because I am a man" he didn't understand what it was like to wonder whether or not a child would "make it" in recovering from a life-threatening medical situation. At the time, he was likely recalling the tragic automobile accident that killed his wife and daughter and severely injured his two sons. It was an authentic, moving and powerful moment. It was, in fact, the strongest expression of real paternal love we have seen from a public official in recent memory and maybe ever.

By bringing that reality to a national political stage, Biden demonstrated that -- for all of us, not just feminists -- the personal is political, that women alone do not have the sole responsibility for caring about the future of our children and that the concern of fathers is a largely untapped pool of political energy. In his acceptance speech, Barack Obama paved the way for this when he talked about fighting for equal pay for equal work because he wants "my daughters to have the same opportunities as your sons" -- and said this while looking with protective ferocity straight into the camera. He has continued this message on the campaign trail with great impact.

Political equality for women will not come from the minimization or idealization of motherhood -- but rather from recognizing fatherhood as a significant factor in our culture and politics.

Thank you, Joe, for bringing us to the next level and keeping it real.
Leah McElrath Renna: Joe's Tears: the Political Power of Paternal Love
Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #250
Blue Crack Addict

I Joe.

My tshirt that I'm wearing says the same thing.

I Irvine too.

And vodka and cranberry juice as a celebration drink.

Yay I'm a happy democrat. Obama on saturday!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #251
Blue Crack Supplier

she dropped her "g's"!!!!

and if i had a sip of wine every time she said "also" ...
Old 10-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #252
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
The Fox poll is from text messages, over a million so far with it being 86% Palin, 14% Biden.
Still nowhere near an accurate measure of the actual debate, or the general population's take on it.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #253
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i thought Joe Biden and Gwen Ifill had an interesting debate.

there was some other lady over in the corner who was talking less sense than the homeless people who talk to buildings or yell at trashcans. she did manage to put together some complete sentences, which is a massive victory for some folks, especially since there was no follow up questions that would make it clear that she has no actual grasp of any national or international issue.
So many here have claimed that Joe Biden's performance was filled with specifics and substance. Joe Biden placed particular emphasis on one issue, claiming that

Quote:
Look, we have spent more money -- we spend more money in three weeks on combat in Iraq than we spent on the entirety of the last seven years that we have been in Afghanistan building that country.

Let me say that again. Three weeks in Iraq; seven years, seven years or six-and-a-half years in Afghanistan.

Well, Joey, lets take a look at the facts. The United States roughly spends about $10 Billion dollars a month on Iraq. According to you, that would mean the United States had only spent $7.5 Billion dollars in Afghanistan since 2001.

But just taking a look at the year 2007, the facts show that the United States spent an average of $10.3 Billion dollars a month in Iraq, but also spent $2 Billion dollars per month in Afghanistan. The United States spent $24 Billion dollars just in 2007, almost 4 times what Joe Biden claims the United States has spent in Afghanistan the past 7 years!

When it comes to "substance and specifics" Joey is on another planet.

Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation: U.S. Spending on Iraq and Afghanistan by Month, Week, Day, Hour, Minute, & Second
Old 10-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #254
ONE
love, blood, life

Biden was superb tonight. The VP/Cheney/Legislation thing, the tearing up a little while explaining that his being a man doesn't preclude him from worrying about his children, the multiple times he explained to Palin that when he and McCain both voted against spending bills for the troops, it was a disagreement about a timeline and not spending, his broad knowledge regarding the situations in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, and Iraq, and his articulation of how he would keep Obama's policies on course in the event that for any reason he would become president, were all huge. He started a little slow, but that was smart. He tested the waters, and adjusted his game as the debate went on. It showed flexibility, the ability to think, adjust, and speak on the fly, something Palin showed none of.

He managed to really sink his teeth into much of what she said without sinking his teeth into her. This is what separates great debaters from good debaters. Joe Biden is a great debater.

I would vote for this man for president. I truly would.

As an aside, I would like to express my appreciation of Rachel Maddow's admirable display of self-restraint when Pat Buchanan, sitting right next to her, explained that (paraphrasing) Biden spent too much time with statistics and facts and that Palin did a better job of relating to small-town America. In a situation that by all accounts warranted a response along the lines of "How can one spend TOO MUCH time on facts in a presidential campaign?! It should be ALL about facts, and not about trying to pander to the bizarre combination of ignorance and cultural narcism that is altogether too common in this country, you foolish, foolish man!", Maddow sat there calmly and let it slide without saying anything. Like I said, an admirable display of self-restraint.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:34 AM   #255
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:07 AM
Does it really count as a win if you're being celebrated only for not fucking up completely?

Naturally, I'm referring to the lunatics handing Palin the outright win.