2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it was more along the lines of national service in exchange for college tuition.
It is a question of consensuality, if there is voluntary service with perks that can be alright but if it is mandatory then there is an issue.

Obama taking a shot at Nancy Reagan was junvenile, he didn't have the gnads to mention Hillary similar actions:

Adviser downplays Hillary Clinton's conversations with Eleanor Roosevelt
June 24, 1996
Web posted at: 12:10 a.m. EDT

NEWARK, New Jersey (CNN) -- The woman described by Bob Woodward as a spiritual adviser to first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton disputed several of Woodward's published assertions Sunday night .

Jean Houston, interviewed at the Newark Airport by CNN, said that Mrs. Clinton did indeed have imaginary conversations with Eleanor Roosevelt at Houston's suggestion. (153K AIFF or WAV sound)

"(But) that was maybe four minutes out of hours and hours of conversation," she said.

In his new book "The Choice," Woodward wrote that Houston, co-director of the Foundation of Mind Research, urged Mrs. Clinton to write "It Takes a Village," and assisted extensively in rewrites. Houston said that she did help edit the book, but that Mrs. Clinton "wrote that book entirely."

Houston said she made the suggestion to hold the imaginary conversations with Mrs. Roosevelt and others "to focus her busy mind on issues that surrounded the book." (255K AIFF or WAV sound)

"That was it," Houston said. "No spooks. No seances. Nothing. She's the least psychic person I've known, and I'm a close second. ... I don't have a psychic bone in my body." (204K AIFF or WAV sound)

Mrs. Clinton wrote about her imaginary conversations with Eleanor Roosevelt in her June 10 syndicated column. She said she talked to Roosevelt about the role of a first lady.

"She usually responds by telling me to buck up, or at least to grow skin as thick as a rhinoceros," Mrs. Clinton wrote.

Houston responded to questions about her comparison to the astrologer who advised Nancy Reagan, saying the difference was "about 180 degrees."

"We (Houston and Mrs. Clinton) were just friends," she said. "Our friendship was one of ladies of a certain age, with similar experience, trying to see how the world is going."

"I hope it's just a two-day wonder," Houston added, about the media attention Woodward's book has given her. "I think [journalist H.L.] Mencken said 'today's tragedies are tomorrow's jokes.' I hope I become a joke fast." (77K AIFF or WAV sound)

The White House also defended Mrs. Clinton on Sunday, saying the revelations, which take up only a few pages of Woodward's book, were overblown.

"To describe it as a consultation with psychics, I think, is to try to .. put it in the wrong frame," White House Chief of Staff Leon Panetta said Sunday on CBS. (162K AIFF or WAV sound)

"This is not a mystic, this is not channeling," said Neel Lattimore, Mrs. Clinton's spokesman. "This is just her talking, especially at a time when she was working on her book."

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

"When you choose to serve -- whether it's your nation, your community or simply your neighborhood -- you are connected to that fundamental American ideal that we want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness not just for ourselves, but for all Americans. That's why it's called the American dream."
The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.
The page is cached on google

America Serves | Change.gov

Obama apologizes to Nancy Reagan for seance remark

Imagine that - someone with the gnads to admit to being wrong, and to apologize for it. Certain people around here could do with a dose of Obama's humility.

he's 0 for 1 at press conferences.

that it was politically expedient he apologized-good for him.

the larger point is that Hillary was the one talking to dead polictical figures, while Nancy only consulted Astologists.

the guy doesn't have his facts straight.

therefore 0 for 1 at press conferences.

<>

he's 0 for 1 at press conferences.

that it was politically expedient he apologized-good for him.

the larger point is that Hillary was the one talking to dead polictical figures, while Nancy only consulted Astologists.

the guy doesn't have his facts straight.

therefore 0 for 1 at press conferences.

<>

Yeah, so? A lot of times you don't have your facts straight either, and I don't hear apologies from you.

Therefore, 0 for 2,000 at posting.

My point stands.

I didn't care for the Nancy Reagan remark either, and I'm glad he apologized. As for the Hillary part, he likely didn't know she did it too. I mean, how many people have really read Hillary's book? Heck, I'd totally forgotten about all that stuff with Nancy myself.

There's a significant minority of white gay men who are fiscally and even to some degree socially conservative...perhaps compared to '04, that bloc perceived fewer potential adverse consequences for gay rights in voting Republican this time around. That's just speculation, but I'd think it'd have to be something like that to explain that significant a shift in an election where virtually every other demographic shifted in the opposite direction.

Depressing for many Southern progressives, heartening for Democrats everywhere else.

Or, alternatively, some gay white men are racists?

Yeah, so? A lot of times you don't have your facts straight either, and I don't hear apologies from you.

Therefore, 0 for 2,000 at posting.

My point stands.

Small difference to you, maybe. I look at it as being an issue of human decency and politeness. Obama's decent and polite. Others...not so much. :shrug:

QFT

BTW, did you even give a gracious "congratulations" to the new president elect at all? a la E. Hasselback?

:|

I wish we knew more about Obama too. I mean, all we have is information from his 2 autobiographies, his campaign website, his Senate voting records, and the the endless and extensive coverage of him we've heard on the news for the past 2 years.:rolleyes:

a. I didn't know about the Hillary/dead first ladies thing. Must not have been as big a story as Nancy Reagan's astrologist thing was back in the day.

b. While yes, it's not a good move to make cracks about former presidents or their wives just after you've become the president elect, you can't expect to consult astrologists in the White House and not be ridiculed for it, even 20 years later.

c. But it was nice that Obama called her to apologize personally.

I honestly didn't see anything offensive at all about the Nancy Reagan remark. And I'd say that even if it was John McCain up there yesterday who had said it as President Elect. It clearly wasn't meant in a derisive fashion. :shrug:

I must say that my high school curriculum was rather vigorous, and to be forced to volunteer for something that seems unimportant and even irrelevant to you isn't a good way of instilling the value of service. Instead, it just seems as though its the adults' way of getting someone to do something they don't want to do and for free.

I thought I had a good idea

Or, alternatively, some gay white men are racists?

you know what?

yes! there are some racist gays!

are we not to stop and consider that McCain's strongest supporters, and the GOP's strongest supporters, are white men.

and you know what else?

some gay people are also white, and are also men.

amazing, huh?

Back
Top Bottom