2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
What a speech! I will remember this forever!
me too!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:13 PM
I don't think I've ever been more proud to be an American/Virginian/Democrat all at the same time. This is so fantastic.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
Ok, Obama won and history was made.........what now?

When the euphoria of the election fades away, the world will still be the same as it was yesterday - Iran is still threatening the west (and my country above all), the Russian bear has woken up, the world's economy is in a shambles, there are millions of starving people in America and the world, global warming is still a real threat to the planet.......and so on (none of these are Bush's fault by the way).

America (and the free world) needs a strong leader - not only to tackle domestic problems at home but also to lead a very strong foreign policy that will show the bad guys who's boss (like Bush did).

Personally, I really wanted John McCain to win - unfortunately he shot himself in the foot by choosing Sarah Pallin as his running mate (a poor choice if ever there was one) and making a mockery of himself on "Saturday Night Live" in a vein attempt to gain the "young" vote.

Outgoing President Bush was one of the best presidents the United States ever had (am I the only person in the world who believes this?) and, truth be told, he will be SORELY missed (although not by the terrorists I'm sure.....).

So, good luck America and I wish President-Elect Obama all the luck in the world - he's DEFINITELY going to need it.
Well I agree with you on some areas except for Sarah Palin. Without Palin McCain would have been trounced. Liberman would force conservatives to not vote. Remember the media is not going to be nice with anyone that McCain picked anyways. Just seeing McCain go on the View and get suprised at the bias and stupidity of the questions made me surprised. What did he expect, a walk in the park? Even McCain's daughter woke up to how the media influences people despite her being a democrat at heart. When she saw her daddy get attacked then it clued in to her once one of your own got attacked.

Now that Obama is in the hot seat he will start to feel the heat of criticism, and if he moderates to the center he will be criticized by his own party as well. As you say there are threats that he will have to face so Republicans have an opportunity here to reenergize and try and find ways to better communicate their ideas and clean up the corruption that was part of the Republican party. Republicans made major mistakes, got involved in corruption and they deviated from their fiscal conservative values. Trying to fix that during an election is too late.

What Sank McCain by Byron York on National Review Online

This article sums up what McCain had to fight against and the popular vote he got was still outstanding. How many parties can deal with an unpopular president, war, and recession during a campaign and still win? It was an uphill battle.

Conservatives have to continue to convince people that their biggest obstacle to their success is themselves and that putting "hope" on leaders leads to disappointment. After the partying and pats on the back people still have to look in the mirror and face themselves and their foibles just the same as yesterday. America used to be the place where people put aside hope and moved to action to improve their circumstances. America wants to experiment with the left again to satisfy their curiosity, so let them.

I want to see what Obama will decide when he talks to Petraeus.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
an idea of what DC was like last night.

Emotional Day Ends in Jubilation for Some, Stoicism for Others - washingtonpost.com

truly, one of the most memorable nights of my life.
Amazing! Wish I'd been there! Wish I'd been at Times Square where there would have been similar scenes I'm sure!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:13 AM
ummm even with Palin McCain was trounced. Not even anywhere close with his win in the electorial college...
Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
I don't think I've ever been more proud to be an American/Virginian/Democrat all at the same time. This is so fantastic.

a black man decisively won the former seat of the Confederacy.

and you were a big part of that.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I want to see what Obama will decide when he talks to Petraeus.

he's already done that.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:13 PM

Quote:
America used to be the place where people put aside hope and moved to action to improve their circumstances.
One could argue that the American people did just that by voting in Obama.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #114
Refugee

Quote:
Well I agree with you on some areas except for Sarah Palin. Without Palin McCain would have been trounced.
Exit polls had 60% of voters saying Palin was unqualified. A more inclusive and qualified running mate would have shored up McCain's vote. The far right were never going to vote for Obama regardless of running mate, so he basically threw the undecided middle ground under the bus to shore up the Dobson and LDKKK bigot voter blocks. Big mistake. BIG FUCKING MISTAKE!!!

Here's to Palin in 2012, it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel !
Old 11-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #115
Refugee

Quote:
How many parties can deal with an unpopular president, war, and recession during a campaign and still win?
The Republicans of 2004.

Of course the Democrats shot themselves in the foot every step of the way.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #116
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Congratulations - I watched with great interest here in Oz - I hope Obama brings the change and the hope and the dignity he seems to possess and it seems all of America yearns for.
So impressed with his speech, his calm and grace - had tears in my eyes and a sense of hope in my heart.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #117
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
America used to be the place where people put aside hope and moved to action to improve their circumstances.
Well you're definately not talking about the last 8 years.

Quote:
America wants to experiment with the left again to satisfy their curiosity, so let them.
Is this your belief with every change in guard, or just when we vote Democrat? Is the left only an experiment, while the right is the norm?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #118
The Fly

All I can say is...

HALLELUJAH!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Old 11-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm so thrilled I got to vote this year. I became an American in 2000 (Mom is American, I'm Canadian by birth, and live here as well), and didn't get around to voting in '04, but this year I was determined to make my voice heard.

A friend of mine was at Grant Park last night, and seeing her pictures and videos gave me goosebumps.

Congratulations America on making the best decision you've made in a long time. It's thrilling to witness history being made!