2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovely press release. :up:

On the 36th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, we are reminded that this decision not only protects women’s health and reproductive freedom, but stands for a broader principle: that government should not intrude on our most private family matters. I remain committed to protecting a woman’s right to choose.

While this is a sensitive and often divisive issue, no matter what our views, we are united in our determination to prevent unintended pregnancies, reduce the need for abortion, and support women and families in the choices they make. To accomplish these goals, we must work to find common ground to expand access to affordable contraception, accurate health information, and preventative services.

On this anniversary, we must also recommit ourselves more broadly to ensuring that our daughters have the same rights and opportunities as our sons: the chance to attain a world-class education; to have fulfilling careers in any industry; to be treated fairly and paid equally for their work; and to have no limits on their dreams. That is what I want for women everywhere.

Timothy F. Geithne, Obama's Treasury secretary nominee is one of Obama's few poor selections.
He cut Bill Richardson, when that didn't work out.
I am thinking it might have been better to find another Treasury pick. This guy will be confirmed, but he will have a bumpy ride.

That's great, but I'll be more excited if/when Obama reverses Bush's ban on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research. He can't claim to want to give science its rightful place back and then not reverse the ban on funding for embryonic stem cell research, imo.

That's great, but I'll be more excited if/when Obama reverses Bush's ban on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research. He can't claim to want to give science its rightful place back and then not reverse the ban on funding for embryonic stem cell research, imo.

I just heard on NBC Nightly News a couple hours ago that he may reverse the stem cell order as early as next week. I really hope he does.:up:

I think that's obviously something that's coming in the very near future.

^I was over at one of my friends' houses during Christmas break. her dad is a medical researcher at the University of Michigan hospital, and he was talking a lot about much harm has been done because of the lack of stem cell research during the past 8 years. Her mom, who's a biology professor at U of M, just went into remission for uterine cancer last month, and they were both saying how vital it is that President Obama reverse Bush's stem cell orders ASAP and also do everything he can to get the research moving again.

Here is the current front cover of Hello (Canada) magazine. Not sure if this will be on the UK one as well as this week they have Lisa Marie Presley I think. I also don't know if the US imports the Cdn version, I know they do with the UK one. Great collectors item though!

2kr9y.jpg

barely two weeks in

and Obama has hit some real rough spots

Caroline Kennedy, his choice, went down in flames

He opposed Blaggo's appointment, could not stop it. :shrug:

Tom Daschle was a bad pick, if one just look past the sheen
this guy is knee deep in lobbyists' money

:applaud::applaud::love::applaud::applaud:

for the press release, and the refunding of embryonic stem cell research!!!

he may not do everything we hope/want him to do....

.....but he's made Great, Good Change ALREADY for Hundred's of Millions of Women :yes:, and therefore also for their families etc, and the now the research that can begin again here - that will benefit other millions, and more people, in the USA and around the world !!!
:yippie: :yippie:

He should start an illegal war to distract us.

Heh.

Ok, so if anything this has proven he's not untouchable, and the streets won't all be paved with gold like so many thought at first.

The fact that he admits he "screwed up" with the Dachsle pick was still admirable in a way, as you never would've heard those words from a certain former President.

Perhaps it speaks more to the fact that the talent pool of potential appointees is a cesspool and anyone wishing to manipulate decisions to suit a particular agenda will just expose whatever skeletons in the closet are convenient at any given time.

Tax evasion is the new sex scandal.

"I've got to own up to my mistake which is that ultimately it's important for this administration to send a message that there aren't two sets of rules," he told NBC news.
--President Obama
:up: Essential in times like these. Thanks for doing the right thing Mr President.

Perhaps it speaks more to the fact that the talent pool of potential appointees is a cesspool and anyone wishing to manipulate decisions to suit a particular agenda will just expose whatever skeletons in the closet are convenient at any given time.

Tax evasion is the new sex scandal.

auditing every member of congress would be such fun!! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom