Zoo TV Rig Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadcaster

Refugee
Hi All!

Bit quite here at the moment, so I figured I'd start a topic about my favorite tour. Zoo TV!

So please post photo's and discuss guitars, effects, amps etc.

Bradshaw switchers and Randall amps, very different looking rig to that which Edge uses today.

Hi

I have the layout of his bradshaw switchers from that era. Will ig the info out and post it.....

Courtesy of Custom Audio Electronics - Bob Bradshaw...

1206410184-e1a2c0d.jpg

1206410177-e1a2c0d.jpg

1206410168-e1a2c0d.jpg

1206410161-e1a2c0d.jpg

1206410191-e1a2c0d.jpg

Randall amps were used for the Zoo TV tour, apparently for a lot of the big "crunch" sounds. Your guess is as good as mine as to which sounds in particular.

The Randall's are the two zebra print amps in the middle ;)

I'm sure the rack stuff more than makes up for it, but I'm underwhelmed at his stomp-box usage.

When did Edge use randall amps??

He used them for Love Town, Zoo TV and Popmart tours.
They were gifts from Joe Elliot (Def Leppard), who has a home in Ireland. Guessing that is how they crossed paths.

You can see the Randall in the picture below, shots taken from Love Town tour program:
LoveTownRig-B.jpg

AND... another shot of the ZOOTV era rig:
1236449135_ZooTVrig.jpg

What I know of Randall is that their amps are mainly aimed at a hard rock/metal market place. However, was it always like this? Are these Randall amps intended for heavy music?

What sounds do we think they were for? Perhaps Zoo Station?

Once upon a time, my Rivera M100 was in the shop and I was borrowing a Randall head with a Marshall cab from a friend of my band's drummer. It had a really flimsy distortion sound that I didn't care for in the least. And that was the last time I played a solid-state amp.

See I doubt those Randall's of Edge's were SS. I would never play a SS seriously, they just don't sound as good!

Which sounds do you think those Randall's were for?

See I doubt those Randall's of Edge's were SS. I would never play a SS seriously, they just don't sound as good!

Which sounds do you think those Randall's were for?

Quadcaster: I'm pretty sure that the Randall RG80 IS solid state.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Randall/RG80-112+SC/10/1

* Randall RG 80-112 SC 1x12 guitar combo amp. Some had black tolex and some (Edge's) had custom Zebra cloth. [special order installed by Randall]. Solid state amplifier with (2) channels, which can be controlled by a footswitch. It is loaded with a single Celestion G12H-100 12 inch 8 Ohm 100 watt speaker. Amp puts out 80 watts @ 8 ohms, and 100 watts @ 4 Ohms. There is 2 speaker jacks on the back, so you can add another cabinet to sing along with the combo. There is also an effects send and return, plus a line out. *

230273862221-1.jpg

230273862221-2.jpg

These amps are definitely all solid state. It's a two channel amp. They do two sounds pretty well - one is a clean sound (cleaner than an AC30) and the other is an overdrive/crunch sound. But interestingly you can also blend the two channels. It has more bottom end than an AC30. When overdriven the amp sounds very much like the live version of "Last Night On Earth," to me at least. (I'd guess the Randall was used on that song.)

Back
Top Bottom