Where The Streets Have No Name Synths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealThing89

Babyface
I am wanting to do a cover of Where The Streets Have No Name and I'm just wondering if anyone knew what Synth was used for the intro? I currently use Cubase to record my Music and they have built in synths but not as good as Pro Tools and what not.

I am wanting to do a cover of Where The Streets Have No Name and I'm just wondering if anyone knew what Synth was used for the intro? I currently use Cubase to record my Music and they have built in synths but not as good as Pro Tools and what not.

Yamaha DX7 was THE keyboard of the mid-1980's. In that, it was cutting edge of the time and used by many. So there is a chance that might have been involved.

Propbably a few things layered.

It seems that "Beautiful Ghosts" has similar (if not the same) tone. Seems "Beautiful Ghost MAY have been a predecessor to "...Streets..."? Perhaps.

Although I think I read that the Yamaha Dx7 was used on Streets. I think.

There is a Hammond yes in the album version but the majority in later live versions is strings. When I was making my Streets track I found out that Edge liked Roland also and I used that. Ive gotten alot of compliments from other trib guys on it. It sounds almost identical to the live versions in Rattle N Hum onward.

If your going for the live sound, you also need to include a midi bass pad which on the JT tour Adam played via Moog Taurus bass pedals, and later was played by Lawless in the underworld. Those bass hits are crucial to the overall sound and they also occur during the song in various places.

I prefer the intro to the live version of WTSHNN than the Album version. What Chords did you use for the Strings into on the Joshua Tree tour?

The chords sound to me the same as the bass notes. That'd be D, G, B, A, C If I recall correctly. On the bass the last Cs go from a low one to an octave higher, and alternally the G,B and A are also an octave lower. But I think the synths are played on the higher scale.

Just listen to Rattle N Hum and you'll get the best frame of reference as on that tour they were using the full length intro. Later tours used shorter versions and Edge came in sooner, making it harder to pick out sounds. Make sure you're listening to the DVD, there are several wonky versions on Youtube that have the tuning dialed up to sound like the album, which is not actually how they did it on that tour. (why the idiots that posted them dialled up the tuning is beyond me, especially when the outtakes and the Denver bootleg clearly illustrate otherwise lmao..and it's multiple people that have done it, too. hilarious)

Check ZOOTV performances, the synth goes on for a while. The long synth intro practically makes the song for me.

Back
Top Bottom