Vox AC4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have the combo and it's an awesome amp with a great vox tone. i think the stack has a 12 inch speaker (mine has a 10 inch) so that could give you another sound i guess.
i think testing is the only option here.

either one you choose, great choice in this pricerange

Hi everybody,

I have the 10" combo as well.
Recently I used it as backup when one of my AC-30s broke.
The amp itself sounds amazing. Really close to a real AC-30 but the speaker
sounds blatant. Terrible at higher volumes. We worked half an hour with the mic to find a senseful position where the speaker sounds good...:sad:

I really consider to change the speaker to a Weber 10"
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/blue10a.htm

Have you had such experiences?

Alex

i only use the ac4 at home so volume is set low normally. i've heard more complaints about the speaker and i think the weber would be a good replacement.

Hi everybody,

I have the 10" combo as well.
Recently I used it as backup when one of my AC-30s broke.
The amp itself sounds amazing. Really close to a real AC-30 but the speaker
sounds blatant. Terrible at higher volumes. We worked half an hour with the mic to find a senseful position where the speaker sounds good...:sad:

I really consider to change the speaker to a Weber 10"
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/blue10a.htm

Have you had such experiences?

Alex

while i agree that the ac4 speakers have their limits, it's kind of comparing apples and oranges because the ac30 is a completely different beast and backing that up with an ac4 is impossible. you cant turn the ac30 above a quarter of volume and have already reached more output than a fully cranked ac4 would have (in which case it already sounds horribly distorted).

the ac4 doesnt have the same brilliance/crunchiness as the ac30 on half volume, i give you that (but again, it has a completely different headroom). but as a low volume speaker its great for cleans IMHO.

on a similar, yet unrelated note: has anyone actually ever dared cranking the volume on the ac30 to max? :) cuz methinks youd probably create a little tsunami in your neighborhood with that...

while i agree that the ac4 speakers have their limits, it's kind of comparing apples and oranges because the ac30 is a completely different beast and backing that up with an ac4 is impossible. you cant turn the ac30 above a quarter of volume and have already reached more output than a fully cranked ac4 would have (in which case it already sounds horribly distorted).

the ac4 doesnt have the same brilliance/crunchiness as the ac30 on half volume, i give you that (but again, it has a completely different headroom). but as a low volume speaker its great for cleans IMHO.

on a similar, yet unrelated note: has anyone actually ever dared cranking the volume on the ac30 to max? :) cuz methinks youd probably create a little tsunami in your neighborhood with that...

No, you missed my point.
I set the Volume of the AC-4 around 10 o'clock. Treble around 90 %.
The watt switch on 4 watt. This is still a fairly clean setting.
So I didn't kick the sh*t out of this amp.;)
Btw, I have this setting on my AC30 as well. Still a clean setting.
Anyway, you wouldn't believe how loud this little amp is at that stage.
And I think it sounds very good then with the right speaker.
The character is almost identical to a Vox AC-30 and that's why I still believe it's a good backup for a AC30.

If you play on really low level, let's say on 1/4 watt and 25% volume
then of course it doesn't matter. Its for home use then.

To answer you last question, I played several times with volume full up.
Not for u2 stuff but when I had a Queen session. Treble Booster in front
and the normal channel full up. Yes the windows are shaking then....:lol:

No, you missed my point.
I set the Volume of the AC-4 around 10 o'clock. Treble around 90 %.
The watt switch on 4 watt. This is still a fairly clean setting.
So I didn't kick the sh*t out of this amp.;)
Btw, I have this setting on my AC30 as well. Still a clean setting.
Anyway, you wouldn't believe how loud this little amp is at that stage.
And I think it sounds very good then with the right speaker.
The character is almost identical to a Vox AC-30 and that's why I still believe it's a good backup for a AC30.

If you play on really low level, let's say on 1/4 watt and 25% volume
then of course it doesn't matter. Its for home use then.

To answer you last question, I played several times with volume full up.
Not for u2 stuff but when I had a Queen session. Treble Booster in front
and the normal channel full up. Yes the windows are shaking then....:lol:

alright, got what you're sayin' now! :)

you either live in a soundproof basement (and are partly deaf ;) ) or live in a place, far far away from anyone else...because when i crank up my little "cute" ac4 to half volume, theres a SWAT team storming my apartment. cant imagine a full blown ac30!!!!?! :D

alright, got what you're sayin' now! :)

you either live in a soundproof basement (and are partly deaf ;) ) or live in a place, far far away from anyone else...because when i crank up my little "cute" ac4 to half volume, theres a SWAT team storming my apartment. cant imagine a full blown ac30!!!!?! :D

Haha, I know what you mean.
No I have my own house but honestly I find the AC4 still too loud for home use. Even on 1/4 watt if the kids are sleeping.

The AC-30s are only used in live situations or rehearsals.
Never at home. But they are just the best sounding beasts in the world.
Here is a short clip when we did a soundcheck before a gig.
I found it very impressing when the ampsound pumps through the PA...:drool:
If you stand in a large place the AC-30 isn't that brutal as in a small room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL6CFF_J6Vg

Back before I sold my Top Boost, I'd done that many times at band practice just to hear what it sounded like. Sounded amazing. Especially with a clean boost. It was super loud (not as loud as my previous 100 watt Rivera M100 had been, though). So I bought the Weber Mini-Mass, set it about halfway, and then would play with the amp about 75% up on the top boost channel with the bass in the middle and the treble and cut knobs facing each other. Such good tone! My only problem with it (and the reason I sold it) was the hiss and the general Vox noise at idle. Matchless doesn't have that and has just as good of tone, so I went that direction.

I have a question. Would the Pathfinder or the AC4TV be better for U2? I know the AC4 is a tube amp but would the Pathfinder be a good alternative?

Back
Top Bottom