The 'other' Cream Les Paul Custom- Not the auctioned one-The 1973 guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Edge15

The Fly
Hi,

Just watching Elevation 2001 from Boston, and remembered, The cream Les Paul custom used for 'The Fly' was not the auctioned one, it was the guitar that was not auctioned. To the best of my knowledge, I remember that the difference between the 1975 auctioned one and the 1973 guitar is that the 1975 LP has Gold volume and tone knobs, while the 1973 one has black knobs. Also, I remember hearing that the one with the black knobs was used in the video for 'The Fly'.

Anyone have any more info on the details of the guitar, when it was bought and when was it last used?

Correct me wrong, but as far as I know, the 1973 LP was not used on U2 360.

Hi,

Just watching Elevation 2001 from Boston, and remembered, The cream Les Paul custom used for 'The Fly' was not the auctioned one, it was the guitar that was not auctioned. To the best of my knowledge, I remember that the difference between the 1975 auctioned one and the 1973 guitar is that the 1975 LP has Gold volume and tone knobs, while the 1973 one has black knobs. Also, I remember hearing that the one with the black knobs was used in the video for 'The Fly'.

Anyone have any more info on the details of the guitar, when it was bought and when was it last used?

Correct me wrong, but as far as I know, the 1973 LP was not used on U2 360.

The LP used on 360 was a replica if you will of the LP he auctioned. Dallas has said the whole story of how he received the guitar and was trying to figure out why gibson would give it back turns out that Gibson made a exact replica to give to Edge as a gift for everything he did for Music Rising. But rumor has it it didn't quite sound the same so thats why we see him using more of the MS LP during 360.

The LP used on 360 was a replica if you will of the LP he auctioned. Dallas has said the whole story of how he received the guitar and was trying to figure out why gibson would give it back turns out that Gibson made a exact replica to give to Edge as a gift for everything he did for Music Rising. But rumor has it it didn't quite sound the same so thats why we see him using more of the MS LP during 360.

Not rumor. Dallas told me that when I talked to him in 2010 at Guitar Center. He mentioned that was why they were reluctant to make a 'signature' model. Gibson had approached them about the Explorer but Dallas said: They could get it to look the same but the wood… they wouldn't be able to get it to sound the same.

Your amazing E_O lol what would we do without you

I just happened to be lucky and at the right place at the right time, so I ran into Dallas that particular day.

He'd said the bit about Gibson wanted to work on a signature model. That might have been why they cloned the auctioned `75. Maybe they thought that would impress Edge and sway him into agreeing to work on one if they could duplicate the LP Custom.

Dallas was quick to point out the bit about the wood and really, Keith Richards and Ron Wood don't have signature models… and he named a few others that never have. Then he joked that some artists seem to have one out ever week.

Back
Top Bottom