SDD 3K Pedal Mod Demo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedgeu2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond th
I uploaded this last night and I'm gonna leave this video here in case anyone is interested in hearing the Mod section of the pedal. This forum is a little dead so I thought I'd post something. I had gotten the SDD 3K pedal about a month ago and been enjoying it. Used it for writing some new stuff as well as in quite a few live situations even.

I've grown to love this pedal. At first it seems a little overwhelming how much there is to play with on board this unit but eventually I got to better understand the many ways I can utilize it. There are a bunch of different delay types on board including the original SDD 3000 Delay Type, Analog (which was exclusively used in my video), Tape (very warm sounding, love it), Modern, Kosmic (shimmer type effect), Reverse, and Pitch.

In the video I showcased only the Analog delay because I felt this gave me the best U2-like sound. I constantly tweaked various parameters of the mod section to give you different flavors of modulation. I changed the waveform from Square to Triangle to Sine, then I played with the Frequency (which affects the mod speed) and tweaked the Intensity (controls the amount of mod). You can get very warm and subtle mod, like The Edge, and you can also get really out there with it.

Gear used:

- Squire Vintage Modified 70s Strat (black finish, used in several of my videos)
- Tube Screamer Mini at the front of the chain (for the random overdrive bits. I wanted to show the pedal with some OD)
- the TS Mini went into the SDD 3K Pedal
- the SDD then went into my Vox AC30 C2

I feel like Analong delay actually "feels" better when actually playing though digital delay's cleanness has some use. nice demo.

I always felt that since everybody was obsessed with warm sounding analog delays I should make clean pristine digital delays my thing. Just to stand out from the pack. :wink:

Nice vid! Now I want one even more. :drool::drool::drool:

I think why i live analog delay is because i have strats, though. if i were to have darker sending guitar then i think i will like digital delay.

I always felt that since everybody was obsessed with warm sounding analog delays I should make clean pristine digital delays my thing. Just to stand out from the pack. :wink:

look at these people raving about units that's not even made anymore and kinda ancient in terms of technology (i love these people, but I guess it's getting somewhat too obsessive here).

but I have seen tons of people who actually prefer digital delay because they won't add different texture (like overly bass-y repeats). I've heard Jeff Beck prefers digital delay. isn't that why MXR released "bright" Carbon Copy pedal because people thought original pedal is too "analog" sounding?

look at these people raving about units that's not even made anymore and kinda ancient in terms of technology (i love these people, but I guess it's getting somewhat too obsessive here).

Guitar players are probably the only people on the world who not only rave about 70 year old technology, they actually DEMAND it.

Part of the problem I think is we like to listen to all those classic recordings of classic bands that inspire us. And what do guitarists do who want to copy their heroes? They want the same sounds and gear! So they are automatically already preprogrammed to think all this stuff is superduper awesome.

but I have seen tons of people who actually prefer digital delay because they won't add different texture (like overly bass-y repeats). I've heard Jeff Beck prefers digital delay. isn't that why MXR released "bright" Carbon Copy pedal because people thought original pedal is too "analog" sounding?

I've heard the original Carbon Copy being described as 'darker then the Dark Lord of the Sith'. I find it interesting that an artist as Jeff Beck prefers digital delay, as he's actually from that generation that first started to use these tape echoes we now rave about. Which proves my point that we're wedded to it because its that classic sound we crave, whereas to him it was just a tool that he discarded when something better came along. Just like David Gilmour who ditched his Binson Echorec in favor of digital delays when they came along.

as far as I remember, Jeff now uses Aqua-Puss from Way Huge, which is analog delay but it won't color the repeat too much. I understand David using more modern units, though. at least i don't wanna tour with clunky delay unit with rotating magnetic drum. I'd take TC2290 or other more modern delay unit any day over them. I mean those modern units certainly have modulated delays anyway.

It is true that many are totally fine with new tools. Hey, even Edge ditched his original SDD3000 and TC2290 for IE tour, though they were "essential" for Edge sound.

oops, David Gilmour apparently uses Free the Tone delay (that one with very good TC2290 imitation, in terms of looks) or even Providence delays for current tour for his solo record. ok, I thought he uses TC2290 but apparently that was (mostly) only for Pulse tour.

but my point still holds, though. I don't know why up-and-coming blues guy (mostly young white guy) brings out actual tape unit while guy with more than 40 years of career is fine with just a pedal with tape/analog voice emulation. but i guess that's how the life goes.

Only possible benefit I can see in tape delay is that flutter that happens to repeats. I was listening to some songs off of Siamese Dreams and those delay sound with very wavy texture sounded amazing, and I remember they messed around with Roland Space Echo in that record.

Last edited:
Like I said, that guy with his 40 year old career is more interested in bringing out the sound that is in his head, whereas the up and coming guys are more interested in sounding like that guy with his 40 year old career, but probably as he did early on in that career. Because sadly enough, that is now the sound in their heads.

This is one of the things that is bothering me about modern rock music. Up until the 80's it was forward looking. Trying new things, exploring new sounds. Then came the 90's and rock musicians started to look more and more backwards. New gear and sounds became less interesting, vintage and old sounds became the rage instead. Is it any wonder that rock music has lost its dominance? Rock used to rule the world. Now its one of many musical directions that are just as big, if not bigger, like rap or dance. People now think that some guy who plays records/CD's/or just a damn playlist at a party is now a bonafide musician and pop star like the Beatles used to be! Whenever I come across young musicians who rave about the Beatles, I just want to smack them on the head. They shouldn't even be knowing who those old farts are. I'm supposed to be the old fart, complaining about how all the damn youngsters know nothing about how it used to be.

I remember someone saying that Eddie Van Halen once saying that you should never be satisfied by your tone. makes sense as his amps occasionally get upgrade and all that. yet some people are angry that he's not getting same sound as he did in 1979 (you know, time when he was using that self-assembled guitar with plexi). It is weird time.

I kinda love recent band who are somewhat trying to fuse dance element to rock like LCD Soundsystem. but they don't have guitar as predominant part of their song so theres that.

BTW, do you use different kinds of delay according to guitars or synergy with other gear? and do you know how Edge utilize different delay? in another world, is there any differentiating factors in his effect (basically TC2290-style one or SDD3000) for him to prefer certain delays in some songs?

Last edited:
Boost

Any goods demos of the boost from the SDD pedal?
That would be the main reason I would get one.

I remember someone saying that Eddie Van Halen once saying that you should never be satisfied by your tone. makes sense as his amps occasionally get upgrade and all that.

I'm a huge fan of Tom Morello's philosophy. He was also constantly trying to improve his tone, to get that tone in his head out but he just never could get it right. So one he day he said f*** it, this is as good as it will get, I'm not going to waste any more time and money on it. And his rig has remained pretty much constant ever since.

yet some people are angry that he's not getting same sound as he did in 1979 (you know, time when he was using that self-assembled guitar with plexi). It is weird time.

Yeah but for Eddie that classic tone that they love and try so hard to emulate was just one moment in time in a long road to improve his sound. And unless you're a tribute guitarist, in which case its forgiven to be so anal in copying a sound, nobody should be trying to copy someone elses sound. It can be a starting sound but like Eddie it should be a moment in time on a long road of tone development.

BTW, do you use different kinds of delay according to guitars or synergy with other gear? and do you know how Edge utilize different delay? in another world, is there any differentiating factors in his effect (basically TC2290-style one or SDD3000) for him to prefer certain delays in some songs?

Some delays work best with some sounds, others work better with other sounds. It's trial and error I'd say and whatever you think works best for you. Most people would simply use tap tempo to get something set to the beat of their song. But in Edge's case we shouldn't forget he's that princess who can feel a pea through several stacked mattresses. If he feels a delay tempo that is slightly off is called for he would do it.

Any goods demos of the boost from the SDD pedal?
That would be the main reason I would get one.

Then why not simply get the boost and be done for it?

https://aionelectronics.com/project/eclipse-korg-sdd-3000-preamp-pcb/

I never see the pure demo of Sdd pedal only using boost (some demo says that using delay with boost sounds sweet or whatever, but......). some people in the Axe-FX communities have been emulating Sdd boost with FET boost model, i think. but those works were done before that pedal came out.

I've seen SDD pedal in Peter Frampton's current rig. I guess it is catching on among pro players.

but funnily enough about Eddie, whatever he made through out 2000s (or since early 90s) kinda created modern metal tone. you know, 5150 amps are everywhere in metal guys' rig and some people are using Wolfgang.

I am actually considering buying Axis from Musicman (EVH model renamed after he left) as it looks pretty cool and versatile.

Tom's philosophy is beautiful; it saves money and time and I guess I need to complain about number of pedals i own (but seriously pedal companies should stop releasing pedals I want while I really cant afford them).

Last edited:
They will always release new stuff that looks new, shiny and interesting. You can either buy it, not buy and and be sad about it, or learn to work what you have to your advantage.

I once made a Tom Morello style pedal board. Wah -> Whammy -> Tremelo -> Phaser -> Delay -> EQ (set flat for boost only), all in the effects loop of a JCM800. A slightly different order then Tom, as he has the tremelo at the front and the phaser last in the chain. It's a surprisingly simple yet versatile setup. Because the wah is in the effects loop and not in front of the amp you do have to change a capacitor to compensate because it now acts more as a filter and less as a wah.

Though Tom has said that he hates recent versions of whammy, I wonder what he can do with those extra features of recent whammy like whammy DT.

it'll be funny if Edge suddenly stop using any effect and start playing Rory Gallagher esque blues. I mean he already has strat and vox with some boost pedal, he can technically do it.

Tom probably loves the glitchyness of the WH-1. Edge has said something similar to that. And the new ones are probably tracking too well for their tastes. The WH-4 however is just as glitchy, just a different kind. Plus you can't play Voice of the Voiceless on the WH-4, the preset knob warbles each time you turn it, on the WH-1 turning the knob gives a seamless change.

I don't think the Edge could play Rory Gallagher esque blues. It's just not his style. Blues is one of the hardest guitar styles to master as its really expressive. It calls for a lot of on the moment improvisations, whereas Edge doesn't do solo improvisation very well. There a few bootlegs where he has to improvise a lead and it really sounds like crap. Just compare the Rattle 'n Hum version of All Along the Watchtower, which they learned just 5 minutes before the gig, and the Lovetown version, for which he had adequate time to prepare. Blues doesn't play to Edge's strengths. Besides, there are millions of blues guitarists, there is only one Edge.

Just compare the Rattle 'n Hum version of All Along the Watchtower, which they learned just 5 minutes before the gig, and the Lovetown version, for which he had adequate time to prepare. Blues doesn't play to Edge's strengths. Besides, there are millions of blues guitarists, there is only one Edge.

Agreed and the Rattle and Hum had studio overdubs I believe and it's still rubbish ! :D But the Lovetown version is class :up:

Tom probably loves the glitchyness of the WH-1. Edge has said something similar to that. And the new ones are probably tracking too well for their tastes. The WH-4 however is just as glitchy, just a different kind. Plus you can't play Voice of the Voiceless on the WH-4, the preset knob warbles each time you turn it, on the WH-1 turning the knob gives a seamless change.

well the fact that lots of artists are replacing WH4 with WH5 or Whammy DT kinda shows that there is something sub-par (or not too practical live) about WH4. I believe it wasnt true bypass (as if it matters to anyone) and I've seen tons of people modding it to be true bypass

I remember Whammy DT had momentarily pitch shifting function where it pitch-shift while you're holding down the footwitch. I think Tom can do some insane stuff with that.

The bypass was indeed not very true bypass, and it was said that there was some tone sucking going on with the WH-4. But modding the WH-4 to true bypass isn't that difficult. A quick googlesearch and you can find the instructions. Other then that I find the WH-4 to be perfectly usable, and I have both the WH-1 and WH-4. And there's at least one advantage the WH-4 and later variants have over the WH-4, MIDI capability.

And while I'm sure that Tom Morello could do awesome things with the DT, I'll doubt he'll get one, if only on the account of his philosophy.

I think Im always swaying the topic of thread to totally different one every time.

BTW: if I boost the front end of good digital delay pedal, will it sound closer to SDD3000 with boost on?

Back
Top Bottom