One w/ Vox AC4 TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I learned most of it by ear but not all by ear. I used a combination of tab and ear for the lead part on the outro. I'd be glad to do a tutorial video but I'll have to film it after this week, I'm just finishing my album this week so I need time for that, but yeah a tutorial wouldn't be a problem. There's a lot of effects switching also. Well I did a lot of effects switching to get the various sounds.

I'm starting to feel bad for always criticizing w/out actually ever sharing my own work. :) So just for that, cudos to that.

The first and most important thing for "One" is the PU positions, which you didn't alter at all: Neck PU for the entire song except for the climax/coda in the end when you hit that very high D, there it's the bridge PU. Very essential to the tone.

Your rotary sounds great, I just love that effect on one. Your sound is very distorted, not sure if the camera adds to that but try a little less distortion. Also, the coda needs delay w/ one strong repeat.

The riffs: Most, especially the main riff, are different to what Edge plays, but since you learned by ear this is like the least thing to note. The 2nd part of the main riff for instance, you're just playing C variations w/ a power chord, which actually makes it more difficult because if you just play an open C all you need to do is move the ring finger around.

There, I did it again. :reject: Maybe if I'm back early enough on Monday I'll post a few secs of the intro and spare you the youtube stuff for good will ;)

PS: Make sure you upload some of the album online so we can give it a listen, curious to hear what sort of direction you're heading.

Haha no problem with the criticism. Thanks for the feedback mirrorballman. :) Always good to have some criticism. I will check into making some of those adjustments, maybe tonight if I get a chance. I was feeling like the sound was a bit off from how Edge has his sound for One, I was going through my setup in the middle of recording and thinking about the verse sound being a little off. Surprised you like the Rotary sound, I always haven't liked it but it's the only Rotary I have. You can tweak the parameters a bit, so there's some flexibility in tone I guess. The chorus and coda are fine with that much drive though right?

I'd be glad to share the album. Just not sure where I should post a link to it here. Track listing's been announced today on my Facebook Fan Page (link to it: Vincent Magnarella Facebook Page) and it's going to be going up on iTunes soon so if there's anything anyone likes then you can buy. I'm really excited about a song off the album called "Dizzy", so definitely watch out for that one.

Just wanted to pop in here and say that I was watching the Glasto stream yesterday and during "One" they did a super close up of Edge playing the main riff/chord thing/whatever (the chords during "Is it getting better...") and I noticed exactly how Edge was playing that part. It was kinda weird that they showed that super close up of Edge's fretboard.

There is a guy on YouTube that teaches the main riff perfectly, he plays the same way as Edge. If you are learning One watch his tutorial. I think his name is jaeger28 or something

Back
Top Bottom