HELP ME!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge6884

Babyface
Hi everyone!
I need some help: I'm trying to play the live version of "Love is Blindness", and was hoping for some advice about how to make it sound better. The real problem I have is with the solo: when I use my overdrive to make the notes sound really good for the beginning, it ends up sounding too raw later on (mainly on the high notes), and unless I adjust the effect (it's a Crate amp, with overdrive built in) half way through the solo (yeah right!) I end up with the beginning sounding weak or the end sounding way too distorted (it becomes pretty hard to even tell which notes I'm playing. It sounds an octave lower than it should). Well, I hope that makes some kind of sense. I've been trying to learn this song for some time, and it's one of my favorite U2 songs of all time, and I think it's by far Edge's shining solo (I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, but if you disagree tell me which solo is better!)
Any help that anyone can give me would be great!
Thanks everyone!
Take care,
Edge6884
P.S. if you could, please e-mail me whatever info you have: Will102953@aol.com

hey. here's what i know about that particular solo. edge often would use more than one of his ac30s when playing this solo, so recreating this exact sound would be difficult as each individual amp has different gain and equalization settings. but i've found that a good amount of overdrive will do fine. not too much however. too much overdrive will increase the harmonics of every not and you will lose individual note distinction (or something like that). second point. i think that delay is fairly essential here as well. it is not easy to tell that there is delay there but it is. the third thing that i noticed on the sydney concert is that right before the solo edge switches his pickup toggle to rythmn (neck pickup only) on his les paul custom. this results in a less brilliant sound so you won't pierce your eardrums (ow).

that's all the information i can offer on this one. hope it helps a bit.

Back
Top Bottom