FULL Vertigo guitar tab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
Okay, I've done the entire thing. It's definitely not 100% accurate (maybe The Edge can fix it? :wink:), but it's not awful either. I've included the rhythm you need for the muting sections, plus I attempted to do the lead part that plays over the final chorus. Attempted is the key word there, because it's difficult to hear.

View the tab here:

http://www.flickerandfade.org/vertigotab.txt

(I'd type it here, but the spacing gets screwed up)

I'm having trouble with the delay. So far, I'm using 360 ms for the "all of this can be yours" part. Still can't figure out the rest, though.

Anal said:
Gibby? Is that you? It's me...ANAL!!!

HOLYFUCKINGCRAPIT'SANAL!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

How're you?!! I haven't spoken to you since...forever!

That's pretty darn good. I was trying to figure out that Riff 2, but couldn't quite get it to sound right. Thanks for that. :up:

GibsonGirl said:

HOLYFUCKINGCRAPIT'SANAL!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

How're you?!! I haven't spoken to you since...forever!

GIBBY!!! It IS you!!! It HAS been forever! I'm great, thanks! How the hell have you been? What are you up to these days? How's school?

Gibsongirl, thanks for the tabs.
Looks great and will try them out later...
Joy to all

When is Edge going to visit "3 chords and the truth"...it's his domain

maro_chik said:
That's pretty darn good. I was trying to figure out that Riff 2, but couldn't quite get it to sound right. Thanks for that. :up:

My pleasure! :)

Anal said:

GIBBY!!! It IS you!!! It HAS been forever! I'm great, thanks! How the hell have you been? What are you up to these days? How's school?

YAY ANAL! I'm great, glad to hear you are too! Lately, all I'm doing is homework. :( My teachers are really trying to gear us up for university next year, so I have 5+ hours of homework every night (3 of which come from my two math courses, grr).

But it's so great to hear from you again! :D How's Beggar doing? Man, I missed you guys!

BTW, do you have a journal over at LiveJournal.com? If not, you should! Mine's here: http://dysprosium.livejournal.com

Last edited:
Oh, and to anyone trying to figure out the delay for "Vertigo":

Try about 230 ms. Sounds good, particularly on the solo/riff after the second chorus.

Thanks for this Gibson Girl! You deserve to be up on stage with the band this tour!

paulrg said:
You deserve to be up on stage with the band this tour!

Oh, wouldn't that be a dream come true... :drool: Hehehe, but I'd probably burst into tears and wouldn't be able to hold the guitar properly!

Ginsongirl, I keep messing up the strumming pattern:
think it's something like this?
Can you or someone else correct me.
thanks

u= up - d=down

Riff 1 (x4):
e|-----------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------|
G|-7/9-9\7-9-9-7/9-------------------|
D|-7/9-9\7-9-9-7/9-------------------|
A|-5/7-7\5-7-7-5/7---7-7-7-7-6-5-----|
E|-------------------5-5-5-5-4-3-----|
d u d u d d u d d d d u d u

Chorus
e|-------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------|
G|-9--7--12--14----9--7--4--6----|
D|-9--7--12--14----9--7--5--7----|
A|-7--5--10--12----7--5--5--7----|
E|-----------------------3--5----|
dd u d uudu dd u d uudu

can't get the d's and u's straight in the post, sorry and thanks again

Last edited:
silenus said:
Ginsongirl, I keep messing up the strumming pattern:
think it's something like this?
Can you or someone else correct me.
thanks

No problem. :wink: I had a bit of difficulty matching up the strumming pattern you put there (silly Interference screwing up the spacing for us tabbers!) so I just re-tabbed those sections you specified the way I play it. You can view it here:

http://www.flickerandfade.org/vertigostrum.txt

Now, there are a few general things to remember. When you're sliding up and down the fret board (as in Riff 1 where you see "/" and "\") you don't need to strum the second chord. Only the first one before the slide. Also, in certain places in the chorus, The Edge will play a chord very rapidly. I've indicated those spots by writing "fast" beneath the strum pattern. One other thing - there are quite a few rests in the chorus. When I first tried to play the song, it screwed me up royally! Even though they're only split-second breaks, they make a huge difference. If you listen closely to the song you'll see what I mean.

Hopefully that will help! :D

Oh, and here's an updated delay time for the bridge: around 400 - 410 ms.

Gibson Girl, thanks for the tab. A sign of the times-- I've got the tab and lyrics before I've heard the whole song. EXCELLENT WORK!! Keep rockin out.

Johnx said:
A sign of the times-- I've got the tab and lyrics before I've heard the whole song.

Ah, the wonders of the Internet. :wink:

Enjoy the tab!

during the 2nd verse (i can't stand the beat...) i can swear that edge plays harmonics!

e |<12>--------------------------------------|
B |-------<12>-------<12>--------<12>--|
G |---------------<7>---------<7>-----------|

GibsonGirl said:
Oh, and to anyone trying to figure out the delay for "Vertigo":

Try about 230 ms. Sounds good, particularly on the solo/riff after the second chorus.

thats so early 80s!!! awesome!

Last edited:
discothequeLP said:
during the 2nd verse (i can't stand the beat...) i can swear that edge plays harmonics!

e |<12>--------------------------------------|
B |-------<12>-------<12>--------<12>--|
G |---------------<7>---------<7>-----------|

Oh, it's entirely possible that those are harmonics. They sound like them. The thing that makes me question whether they are, though, is the fact that it's rather awkward to play. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I find it rather cumbersome switching between the harmonics on the 7th and 12th frets of the G and B strings, respectively. I do see where you're coming from though.

*wills The Edge to come in here and clear things up* :wink:

i know this is getting really, really nitpicky but....

during the bridge (all of this...) i think it goes like this:

e|----------19-----------17----------19-----------17------15--|
B|-----17-----------15-----------17----------15-------17------|
G|--0------------0-------------0-----------0--------------------|

Last edited:
Heh, no, it's not new. I think it came from a calendar last year. Check it out:

april.jpg

Back
Top Bottom