Edge's Overdrive Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karl Tully

Babyface
Does anyone have any tips as to how to achieve Edge's overdrive sound? Currently using BOSS multifx with COSM amp modelling. If anyone reading this has managed to get a decent Edge overdrive sound with BOSS Multifx gear could you post your settings, I'd be most grateful. Cheers, Karl.

Honestly I was shocked how close a Vintage Rat sounded for things like Sunday Bloody Sunday Gain 9oclock(ish) Filter 11oclock.. Roll back your guitar volume a hair and your pretty close.. A tube screamer or Boss Overdrive will get you there as well.. The rest is in the hands, and the mixing...

Vox AC30 + Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive pedal. The SD-1 has a beautiful distortion that retains a lot of the melody of a note and gives it just enough bite when you slam down a chord. Edge has one on top of the current rig, the yellow one.

What overdrive did edge use during the rattle and hum period. It was like a very bright overdrive tone.

Sweet! I am too! I've tried a number of settings to get an Edge overdrive sound and nothing seems to be working, I think it's my humbucker. Nevertheless, I'm hoping this thread could solve one or two issues.

You managed to get any other Edge style sounds, cleaner etc? Plus, what guitar are you using? sorry for so many questions.

Using a black 70's Fender Strat, it's the business!! Great for clean sounds with the Boss gear. (had the pickguard and pickup covers changed to black so it looks the part too!!)

Awesome! :D

I'm using a cream 80's Japanese strat (Jap Squier, on the same level as US Fenders of the day!) with a Seymour duncan HotRails pickup the previous owner put in which can be quite overwhelming at times with clean sounds but after a little tweaking sounds great, especially through an ME-50...[not that you asked :huh:]

I'm not sure about solos from the R&H era. However, I'm looking for a way to create a UTEOTW live sound on my Line 6 amp, with a Gibson Les Paul. Should my Vox setting have a clean tone with a Tube Screamer picking up the drive, or should the Vox's drive be up with the TS? And for a general question, with most of the Edge's songs what could his volume and tone controls be set at on his guitars?

Back
Top Bottom