Easiest song to learn on guitar for beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
acoustically and just on a rhythm basis, WOWY is fairly simple.
D, A, Bm, G

Another somewhat easy one is All I Want is You.
A, D for the verses
F#m, D for the prechorus, "all the promises you make from the cradle to the grave.."
A, D for the chorus, "when all I want is you"
A, D

really, if you break down a lot of U2 songs and take away the effects and just go to an acoustic rhythm, they're fairly simple, even a song like Where The Streets Have No Name, which is mostly D, Bm and G. What makes it so difficult is that Edge is not your basic rhythm guitarist. he uses a lot of staccato and tends to play within the chords note for note string for string instead of playing the usual coffee house rhythm..not to mention the heavy delays. what you'll find with his use of delay is that he plays to the delay. he doesn't just use delay to color what he's already written sans effect.
you should learn, in first position, as many of the chords as you can - you're within striking distance of the most commonly used chords in U2 songs -- you need to add A, Am, Bm, D, Dm, F and you'll have much covered.
once you get those down on the first position you'll be able to get down further the neck and play with the voicings Edge uses. Good luck!!

Oh wow! Thank you! :) This kind of brings me back to when I learned to play violin back in the day when I was about 8-9 years old. Start in first position and move your way down. oh geez... that sounded kind of dirty:doh::reject:

I would suggest going to a good local used bookstore- sometimes you can find U2 tab/chord books- I still have books for AB, JT, RandH and HTDAAB. The first chord book I ever got was for AB- I taught myself guitar with that book many moons ago.....

I saw a tab book for best of 1980-1990 in a guitar store once. I didn't buy because I knew almost all the songs listed in the book but I looked through and the tab books aren't a bad way to go. And welcome BC2009! Enjoy yourself here and don't post anything U2 related in "It's Official!":yes::lol:

I would suggest going to a good local used bookstore- sometimes you can find U2 tab/chord books- I still have books for AB, JT, RandH and HTDAAB. The first chord book I ever got was for AB- I taught myself guitar with that book many moons ago.....

+1 on that. I just found a "Best Of U2" bass book at a used bookstore in SAn Francisco. I made a playlist of the table of contents on my ipod and it's a nice wasy to play along and learn some songs Adam has probably forgotten how to play:wink: (like Surrender).

the old days

It's kind of interesting to compare Adam's bass playing from years ago to now- no more slapping the bass strings...when they played Gloria on the Vertigo tour, the little bass solo was replaced by a very simple, subdued note progression...although if you see video of some of the pre-360 gigs, Adam sure is getting into the songs!!!

It's kind of interesting to compare Adam's bass playing from years ago to now- no more slapping the bass strings...when they played Gloria on the Vertigo tour, the little bass solo was replaced by a very simple, subdued note progression...although if you see video of some of the pre-360 gigs, Adam sure is getting into the songs!!!

Same thing with the Electric Co. Outro during the Vertigo tour. It wasn't as "aggressive" as it used to be. His style has changed for sure. Well, he looks much chillier these days :)

Same thing with the Electric Co. Outro during the Vertigo tour. It wasn't as "aggressive" as it used to be. His style has changed for sure. Well, he looks much chillier these days :)

Not to steer this thread too far off track, but everything about Adam seems more relaxed these days, all green tea and seaside drives in France, but also very cool and self-assured. Good-bye slap bass, tinted glasses and afghan coat. I like it. I'm glad I finally decided to buy a bass just before NLOTH came out. It's definitely Adam's album.

All I Want Is You and Running To Stand Still is IMO the easiest songs U2 has made. All I Want Is You is simply A and D in the verses with F#M instead of A in the chorus (F#M is not an easy chord to play but there is an easy way to cheat by just strumming the first three strings so you don't need to hold your finger across all the strings).

Running To Stand Still is even simpler with D and G in the verses with A and G in the chorus throughout the song.

Edit: Oh, I saw that these two songs has already been mentioned and explained, but here they are again anyway! ^^

NLOTH- A bass player's album

Not to steer this thread too far off track, but everything about Adam seems more relaxed these days, all green tea and seaside drives in France, but also very cool and self-assured. I'm glad I finally decided to buy a bass just before NLOTH came out. It's definitely Adam's album.

I wholeheartedly agree....I think NLOTH has some of the best bass Adam's ever played...If you watch some of the promo tour material, you can REALLY see Adam getting into some of the songs. Watch Beautiful Day at Fordham for a good example....It's great to see the enthusiasm

Last edited:
Am i the only one who thinks Sunday Bloody Sunday is the best guitar riff of all time ?

Uh I guess just the chords to WOWY, D A B G.. Though I don't really recognise it this way. The first chord is definitely a D. 2nd looks like an A to me...

Im having problems with Barre chords so im looking for a version without the old Bm

Looks like Dsus2--Asus4--Bm(with just the root and third)--G. It's pretty much the same as the original, but it gets around that barre chord.

Fred Dirst said that it's Edge strumming that makes he's style not that easy. George Harrison was a great guitarist not because of his pompous solos but because he's style involved melody. It's far more difficult to play a melodic piece because it is more difficult to disguise when you play a wrong note. The journalist in The Times also said that Jonny Marr is a great guitar player in a similar vein to Harrison's style.

You're already trying out Boots, so I think you're past easy level :wink: But I remember learning Angel of Harlem on my own. It's super easy! I play it from time to time because I can play the chords so smoothly :giggle: It's an easy transition from the C-->F chord for the verses. But I'm sure you've figured that out by now!!

^pepokiss- I learned Bad as well :yes: Pretty simple!

I was trying boots i read tabs pretty good I just got a little upset cause my hands are small so I stopped playing but thinking I'll give it a shot again my Dad said he may help me learn Desire. But he said I cant strum cause I dont have rythem :lol: I do just take me awhile:reject:

We also discussed that it may be better for me to learn bass cause of my hands and the struming and what not. I think I have hard time with struming because Im not use to considering I played the volion since the 3rd grade

I get really pissed off when people say how easy AOH is. I know it is!!
But can i go smoothly from a C to an F? No!!!:lol:

I get really pissed off when people say how easy AOH is. I know it is!!
But can i go smoothly from a C to an F? No!!!:lol:

just move your pinky to d string 3rd fret and middle finger to g string 2nd fret and leave the others alone. i dont even worry about the high e string, just dont strum it.

it's soo easy :wink:

Back
Top Bottom