You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
The disparity of opinions on this song are amazing.

Can't wait for the album.

:wave:

I can't see where people find so much innovation in Boots. It's a ok song with some groove, fast spoken vocals and a different beat in the middle. But it's nothing like a breakthrough song. And many people believe that is loosely related to Vertigo, which i agree. This said, Boot is refreshing on one side and weak first single on another. It will not reinvent rock for U2 and it's repetitive at the same time.

I never actually said "innovation" now did I?

It has grown on me. I have come to enjoy it - finally. I gave it a 7/10 but now I'd give it a 7.5/10. 10 being U2's bestest ever song like Streets, WOWY, One, Sunday bloody sunday, Grace, etc.

:hmm: which one doesn't belong in the U2 Ultimate classics list.

Had a great weekend with the mates form soccer in a castle we rented. Music from every possible different style was played at a LOUD volume on a kickass soundsystem and it was great. We played GOYB once when we were drunk allready. In total of 19 people 1 liked it and it was turned off. :rockon:

The sad thing is, everyone LOVES this band so this for me is saying a lot. Knowing their musical taste, their "knowledge" of rock 'n rollhistory.

I am VERY curious about the new record. I am still completely positive without even knowing the songs, let's hope it stays this way.:wave:

i listened to zooropa (the entire album) last night. things like this don't help to like goyb. sorry, my mistake.

In total of 19 people 1 liked it and it was turned off. :rockon:

The sad thing is, everyone LOVES this band so this for me is saying a lot. Knowing their musical taste, their "knowledge" of rock 'n rollhistory.
I wonder whether any other cases are known where alcohol led to becoming pretentious :D

it's a fun rocking song that is over in about 3 mins
you'd have to run to the stereo to even be able turn it off before it's over

i listened to zooropa (the entire album) last night. things like this don't help to like goyb. sorry, my mistake.
now Zooropa is in my top 3 fav U2 albums
but surely Boots isn't a lesser song than Some days ... or Daddy's gonna pay ...

sure, it's no Lemon
but not many songs are

Had a great weekend with the mates form soccer in a castle we rented. Music from every possible different style was played at a LOUD volume on a kickass soundsystem and it was great. We played GOYB once when we were drunk allready. In total of 19 people 1 liked it and it was turned off.

Sorry man, but I have a feeling you are maybe exaggerating a bit on the reaction to GOYB... :wink: Sounds like a great weekend though!
I heard it played in two different nightclubs here over the weekend and in both cases the crowd were genuinely going nuts for it... It sounds fucking BRILLIANT in a party scenario...

Lived with GOYB for a week now...it is such a disappointment. The worst part about the song is that the first word I would use to describe it would be "silly."

My personal take is that comparing GOYB to previous singles is a non-starter for me. Discotheque was 12 years ago...the band was in a different place than where they are now.

Next we should compare GOYB to Out of Control.

His point was that Discotheque seemed every bit as superficially silly upon release.

My personal take is that comparing GOYB to previous singles is a non-starter for me. Discotheque was 12 years ago...the band was in a different place than where they are now.

Well you completely missed my point...

i love it again now...

i think it's because i finally bought it off itunes so am listening in the context of other music, rather than just streaming it cold off u2 dot com

and i'm not listening to it first thing in the morning when i'm not ready for it haha

WOW this song keeps on growing on me (which is a good sign). the lyrics are great, and it has something really really fresh. This grooove...completely different U2-style, still sounding like U2. It's rock and roll, and dancible. Some Fast Cars in it, some Elvis Costello. A Subterranean Homesick Blues likeness. I don't see any comparison with Vertigo as some do. the first 'beautiful'in the chorus sounds a little strange to me.

By the way, check 'wild wild west' from the Escape Club. sounds strange, but there is some similarity...

I've no problem with that. Ok...um. OoC and GOYB have pretty much nothing in common. Back to Discotheque. At the time of release the worldwide consensus and also the consensus of U2 fans was that Discotheque was a trite, stupid, too obvious song with idiotic lyrics
(you know you're chewin' bubble gum/you know what that is but you still want some/you just can't get enough of that lovi dovi stuff)

The amount of angst on the U2 community I was a member of (WIRE)
makes the discontent over GOYB seem like a tempest in a tea cup.

Years later and most U2 fans think Discotheque is an unimpeachable work of genius with "depth" and "layers".

GOYB vs Discotheque is a fair comparison.

I've no problem with that. Ok...um. OoC and GOYB have pretty much nothing in common. Back to Discotheque. At the time of release the worldwide consensus and also the consensus of U2 fans was that Discotheque was a trite, stupid, too obvious song with idiotic lyrics
(you know you're chewin' bubble gum/you know what that is but you still want some/you just can't get enough of that lovi dovi stuff)

The amount of angst on the U2 community I was a member of (WIRE)
makes the discontent over GOYB seem like a tempest in a tea cup.

Years later and most U2 fans think Discotheque is an unimpeachable work of genius with "depth" and "layers".

GOYB vs Discotheque is a fair comparison.

ah....the good ole days.... :D

I was listening to 'Viva La Vida' yesterday & got the notion that the strings 'riff' from "Yes" would sound cool either behind or after the "You don't know..." chorus. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom