Your least favourite song on NLOTH now that the album is sinking in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
White as Snow, from the first moment I've heard it I knew it I would never be able to like this.:yawn:
And Breathe. The way bono sings is terrible and it's a mediocre HTDAAB song imo.

The rest I totally love :love::hyper:

there are days I prefer SUC to Fez-BB exactly for this reason :up:

Huh. I actually like Fez-BB because it doesn't feel like music; it's...something more. Now SUC, listening to it sometimes feels like a labour of love (key word labour).

The big problem I have with MOS is the missed opportunity for the Edge. When the song kicks in I keep hearing this melody in my head similar to "Van Diemans Land" but fitting the tempo of the song.

What, did you want him to sing? =D I think Van Diemen's Land's melody was snitched from some Irish song anyway. I do think the song is a little underwhelming on the guitar front; hopefully it doesn't just turn into a giant, wandering mess live like If God Will Send His Angels and then be ditched.

As for me, White as Snow seems half-baked lyrically. It's a bit messy. At least it tries, I guess. But SUC is definitely the worst when judging all the songs equally. Nevermind if the words are messy (and they are); they never had much potential. I completely agree about an instrumental, the drumming is awesome...stale guitar though. Every single bit of Bono's phrasings I enjoy - just not what he's actually saying. :sigh: Oh well.

i actually find the "Soul rocking people" part to be Bono's best vocal moment of the song.

:up: The best moment of the song for me, all that precedes it is mostly bollocks.

Stand Up Comedy is easily the worst song on the album in my reckoning, though I think it works better in a "Linear" context.

Crazy Tonight is the second worst song on the album for me.

I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy Stand Up Comedy more than any of the songs on here.

What am I saying anyway? I don't feel all that comfortable bagging the tunes. I still find IGCIIDGCT and SUC better than most of the other songs around these days. Fair dinkum, I enjoy them, they just pale in comparison with most of U2's other output AND the other songs on this album.

Well, when I first heard the album, Crazy Tonight was my least favorite. Now it's grown on me and I love all the other songs so I honestly can't choose a least favorite. This might be the first U2 album where this has happened to me.

The one I listen to the least is Fez-BB but that's probably just because my commute to school ends about halfway through that song so I never get a chance to finish it. :lol:

Stand Up Comedy.

It had been Unknown Caller but it's beginning to grow on me. Boots is a great song.

So basically, the only songs that weren't singled out as worst by anyone are the title track and Magnificent.

Interesting.

I feel like the last two albums didn't have such divisive songs throughout, I can't imagine 9 of 11 of those all being considered worst by someone.

...which is part of the reason I think this album will have staying power in the years to come :)

Stand Up Comedy's the worst, though Unknown Caller gets the award for Most Blown Potential. And Worst Running Theme is that every solo is completely underwhelming, most notably on Magnificent and Stand Up Comedy.

Also, Magnificent is the most overrated. The intro and chorus are good, but the verses are kind of dull (mostly because the lyrics are bad) and the solo sucks.

It sounds like you're just anticipating a big bombastic solo and not getting it, and then calling the solo shitty as a result...try not thinking about it as a solo. Just listen to the music without any anticipation or expectations of what you want to hear. I think it would help :)

There may be several "worst" candidates but SUC is likely to get the "honour" over time. On second thought, I change my vote to Boots, too much "Vertigo wannabe" for me.

What's interesting is all the love Magnificent is getting across the board (top 10 U2 songs, best NLOTH song etc). I don't think any of the previous two albums had such a moment.

it's going well, how about you? Where are you now, India?

Yup!

Hi! :wink:

Zooooooooooots!

Good to have you back, man. You've been missed. And we need your input over in the R.E.M. Survivor we've got goin on in B&C.

:wave: I'll have to make it over there at some point.

Actually in hindsight, if forced for an answer I guess I would say that my least fav songs are Boots followed by Stand Up Comedy. Together with Unknown Caller they make up my bottom 3. I still don't hate the songs by any stretch of the imagination! In fact I quite enjoy the music on SUC, the catchy beat/rap of Boots and the guitar on UC. It's just they're up there with some tough competition. :drool:

White As Snow is kind of like Stateless, where it doesn't hit you at first, it may not even hit you months later, but then one day you :drool:

that is an interesting comparison. i really love WAS, and find stateless one of the most boring songs u2 has ever done. WAS seems to build to me, and is really great at the end. Stateless just plods along, and nothing ever happens. Its much like hands that built america, in that regard. those are two u2 songs i just don't get at all, they both put me to sleep- its a struggle to make it all the way through. they both sound like b-sides that very little time was spent on (much like wave of sorrow- it completes the trilogy of boring).

i also love cedars (one that gets called 'boring' on here), and see it as so much more interesting, and far superior to hands, and stateless.

Also, Magnificent is the most overrated. The intro and chorus are good, but the verses are kind of dull (mostly because the lyrics are bad) and the solo sucks.

i like the lyrics ok, but this is by far the most overrated u2 song in a long, long time. they have so many songs in this same vein that are so much better. i was shocked to see so many had in their top 10 u2 songs of all time. i would rate it maybe in the top 50, and its about 8 on nloth for me. i like the song, and think its still a good u2 song, i just don't get the raising into to classic type song so quickly.

what was the most praised Bomb song after the first couple of months? i feel like Miracle Drug was pretty well received, but i honestly can't remember that well now.

Cedars least Fav - just cant get my head round it yet.

I Love SUC but can see why some ppl dont like it could be considered cheesey but I think thats what i love about it :love:

White As Snow is a classic justs take a while to get into, its this albums Running to a standstill. Ppl if you dont like it now you well by the end if the tour. It will really come alive when played..

Boots is a good song but i feel does not fit the album and should never had been released as a single never mind the lead one.

Unknown caller - awesome

Probably Crazy Tonight for me. The lyrics and singing are just too much for me, along with the clipping in the mastering. The tone of Edge's guitar sounds nice, but what he's playing is a textbook case of phoning in a 3-note arpeggio. It's exactly what Edge-detractors are talking about when they are taking shots at him.

I like most of the music of Stand Up Comedy and can do an ok job of ignoring the lyrics in that one too.

Boots doesn't bother me anymore. It's an ok 3-minute interlude.

I like all the other songs.

The tone of Edge's guitar sounds nice, but what he's playing is a textbook case of phoning in a 3-note arpeggio. It's exactly what Edge-detractors are talking about when they are taking shots at him.
even the truly great guitar players have a signature sound, so I don't get this criticism
now, if Edge had incoporated this in Cedars of Lebanon then I could understand your objection but it just goes very well with Crazy Tonight

even the truly great guitar players have a signature sound, so I don't get this criticism
now, if Edge had incoporated this in Cedars of Lebanon then I could understand your objection but it just goes very well with Crazy Tonight

I wouldn't even say that a 3-note arpeggio is his signature sound. It's more of a parody of his signature sound. If you pick up any electric guitar, turn on a delay, and play a 3-note arpeggio, it instantly sounds like "ha, that's all it takes to make a U2 song!"

I'm not saying that Edge should not be Edge, but to me the guitar bits in Crazy Tonight are the very definition of "phoning it in."

I wouldn't even say that a 3-note arpeggio is his signature sound. It's more of a parody of his signature sound. If you pick up any electric guitar, turn on a delay, and play a 3-note arpeggio, it instantly sounds like "ha, that's all it takes to make a U2 song!"

I'm not saying that Edge should not be Edge, but to me the guitar bits in Crazy Tonight are the very definition of "phoning it in."

so The Edge should strive to sound like someone other than himself?

Back
Top Bottom