wild speculation: could U2 unveil new songs at inauguration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure hope not. It'd be a mistake for them to join. Believe it or not, not everyone likes Barack Obama.

Get out! I thought everyone understood he is the Messiah.

/Being in the DC area I'm thinking of leaving town on the 20th - it's going to be insane around here!

I hope they don't play that. Obama will have enough celebrities sucking his ass once he gets in, heck he already does now.

image.jpg

:up:

Uncalled for, especially because he is most likely correct. Anything they played would likely need to be thematically/sonically in keeping with the event.

Oh, he most likely is correct, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a royal douchebag. He just enjoys trampling on all our fun, all our speculating. :sad: And he never, EVER, smiles. If that's not a douchebag, I don't know what is. :shrug: I call 'em like I see 'em.

Oh, he most likely is correct, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a royal douchebag. He just enjoys trampling on all our fun, all our speculating. :sad: And he never, EVER, smiles. If that's not a douchebag, I don't know what is. :shrug: I call 'em like I see 'em.

But speculating that something won't happen is still speculating.

Yeah. Run as far away from history being made as you can. It's a scary thing.
:wink:

History being made? I still don't get that. We are getting another president. We've had 43 before. OOOhhh.. it's because he's *black*. :doh: I thought were were trying to get over the whole race thing.

Whatever.

Well, when you consider how 50 years ago, there were separate drinking fountains, restaurants, and seating sections for blacks, it's pretty important that now our president is black.

Well, when you consider how 50 years ago, there were separate drinking fountains, restaurants, and seating sections for blacks, it's pretty important that now our president is black.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's fantastic - I just wish it wasn't all about him being black. How about him as a great leader? A great commander in chief? Or whatever... I don't think a person's skin color should be their defining characteristic - it's insulting.

How would you feel if you got some great new job, and someone said "that's SO great you got that job, because you're white!" (I don't know if you're white or what, but just for example). I would rather someone be proud and happy and want to celebrate my job because I'm qualified for it!

Just sayin'...

History being made? I still don't get that. We are getting another president. We've had 43 before. OOOhhh.. it's because he's *black*. :doh: I thought were were trying to get over the whole race thing.

Whatever.

We are trying to get over the race thing — that's why this is historic.

Yes, we've had 43 other presidents . . . but they've all been white. And no, that's not the only thing that's worth being there for. The change in leadership is always significant for our country.

Well, I for one don't like the fact that race is such a focus on him being a politician, but I definitely think it's worth celebrating that he is the first black president in our country's history. After that, I'd like to think that we can put the race issue with him to bed.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's fantastic - I just wish it wasn't all about him being black. How about him as a great leader? A great commander in chief? Or whatever... I don't think a person's skin color should be their defining characteristic - it's insulting.

How would you feel if you got some great new job, and someone said "that's SO great you got that job, because you're white!" (I don't know if you're white or what, but just for example). I would rather someone be proud and happy and want to celebrate my job because I'm qualified for it!

Just sayin'...

Well, it's not like that though. He didn't get the job because he's black — it's the fact that someone who's black got the job.

Just sayin'...

Right. At some point, talk about his race needs to stop. "The first black president" isn't going to do anything. I want to see if Barack Obama can do anything.

Right. At some point, talk about his race needs to stop. "The first black president" isn't going to do anything. I want to see if Barack Obama can do anything.

That's true, but that doesn't take away from the historic significance of Jan. 20, 2009.

Just sayin'...

Let me take a wild guess: you're white?

Let me take a wild guess: you're white?

No, I'm purple. Honestly, what does it matter?

All I'm saying is I want Obama to be celebrated as a president because he can do great things, not just because he is the "first black president". Is this such a wild request? I think the media is doing a great disservice by focusing on how everything is so historical because he's black. Let's GET PAST THAT and talk about how he's going to run the country!

/that is all

All I'm saying is I want Obama to be celebrated as a president because he can do great things, not just because he is the "first black president". Is this such a wild request? I think the media is doing a great disservice by focusing on how everything is so historical because he's black. Let's GET PAST THAT and talk about how he's going to run the country!

/that is all

You act like it's an "either, or" thing. One does not preclude the other. It's not a zero sum game.

And its a very big deal, which you should know even if you are purple.

/that is all

And he will be celebrated as a great president once he starts working, but for now it's history in the making.

This country has been run by white mainly protestant men. So any woman, minority, etc would have been celebrated... When you are the first in your family to go to college, it's celebrated, first man on the moon is celebrated, FIRSTS are celebrated, that's life.

Period, end of story. So let's get past the whole this isn't important thing and understand the actual importance of this...

You act like it's an "either, or" thing. One does not preclude the other. It's not a zero sum game.

And its a very big deal, which you should know even if you are purple.

Ok, you're right. It's a huge deal. Historical.

Now then, back on topic: I doubt U2 will be playing, but maybe they'll make a surprise appearance and play some new tunes like the Man Ray club thing before ATYCLB. That was a pretty cool way to try out some new songs!

Ok, you're right. It's a huge deal. Historical.

Now then, back on topic: I doubt U2 will be playing, but maybe they'll make a surprise appearance and play some new tunes like the Man Ray club thing before ATYCLB. That was a pretty cool way to try out some new songs!

That would be pretty awesome. Given the rumored single release date...it almost makes sense for them to show up, at least from a buzz-generating perspective.

Seriously, single on the 19th! It's almost *too* perfect... ;)

Maybe that's the real reason why they postponed. :hmm:

They are a band that likes to collect historic performances/accomplishments for their legacy. This would be a great one.

I still don't see it really happening.

"Get On Your Boots" might match up with the theme of the inauguration: a lot of fun, and a lot of work to do, too... the rumors are that Bruce Springsteen will be playing, and given that U2 (well, at least Adam and Larry) have played an inauguration before, it at least seems plausible. Especially given the timing, and the fact that U2 is basically the most political band ever. And the Will.I.Am connection... :hmm:

:FansTheFlamesOfWildSpeculation:

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom