White as Snow Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Haunting" is the first word that comes to mind about this song. I'm growing to really love this song. Very different for them

For me, this is up there with Your Blue Room and The First Time.... The french horns gave me shivers the first time I heard the song. :applaud:

Emerson Lake and Palmer's Lucky man comes to mind when I hear this...I think of a soldier who always wanted to do the right thing...best intentions...good intentions...lying mortally wounded...wondering...do I know God? is there a God? does He know me? doubts abound...then tries to hold on to something that has been real to him...his memories...this song kills me more I hear it.

I love the sonic complexities they can come up with, but its the devasting simple beauty and raw emotion they can put into tracks like this (and the emotion they can supply to all their songs) that makes me love U2 so much, MOS fits into this category as well but WAS is even simpler, and a great rebirth to a traditional song.

These are the best lyrics Bono has written in a long, long time.

I wonder if there is a chance they will play it on Letterman, because I can't wait to hear it live.

Ok, this song has done a 180 on me. It was the one track that did nothing for me, but now it's giving me chills. It's like a folksy lullaby my dad would've sung to me as a child :nostalgia:

If they could make an entire album with songs that have the same vibe and atmosphere as White as Snow I would be in heaven.

Hey guys--the voice singing the falsetto over Bono during the 2nd verse--is that Lanois? It doesn't sound like Edge to me.

lovin it more and more...the line the road refuses strangers (land mine?) reminiscent of please: sermons from the boot of a car (car bomb)

yer man seems tae be in fine form on this track. lyrically and vocally.

When I was imagining this album, especially after hearing GOYB, I really hoped there would be a song like this on the album. I never listened to any Beach Clips or thirty second previews so I had no expectations. But I knew that I wanted at least one song that was quiet, beautiful, haunting and "White as Snow" nailed it.

The interesting thing is that it was the second listen where it really hit me. I don't give it much thought the first time through, but boy that second listen it came home. A lot of U2 songs have been like that for me. They seep into your consciousness and one day you wake up and realize they've become a part of you.

Hey guys--the voice singing the falsetto over Bono during the 2nd verse--is that Lanois? It doesn't sound like Edge to me.

Was trying to figure it out myself, listening to it on some studio headphones this morning- I think they switch off, Danny sings in the first verse, and the falsetto part- sounds like his voice from the Here Is What Is soundtrack; Edge during the last verse; and then sing harmonies together during the outro- Danny panned left and Edge right.

Really, this song is fantastic. I know it's based on an established song, but the song's accompaniment is really interesting. Love the instrumentation. Of all the material on NLOTH, "White as Snow" is the one that always creeps up on me - it's so good, but for some strange reason, I sometimes forget it's there :shrug:

I'm glad you brought up the "O Come O Come Emmanuel" reference. I was digging through my lapsed Catholic brain. Beautiful song and nice incorporation into WAS.

Back
Top Bottom