When Do You Think The New Album Will Be Released?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When Do You Think The New Album WIll Be Released?

• Before The 2010 Tour (May/June)

Votes: 46 28.6%
  • After The 2010 Tour (November/December)

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • Spring/Summer 2011

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • Fall/Winter 2011

Votes: 43 26.7%

• Total voters
anyone else considering this an "epic fail" if U2 doesn't release the album by the beginning of the tour?

I don't know what to think. i get a bit tired knowing they have to make everything they do as perfect as possible.

I think they could really put out some interesting music if they'd go with a few more instincts, rather than overcooking the song (and i know overcooking can work out as well, WTSHNN being the most famous example).

I just don't get their mentality with the BIG SINGLE. The only reason Vertigo broke open was because of the iPod commercial. This time around they didn't have that type of promotion, and GOYB didn't go off like they thought it would (and i do love the song, but maybe MAG or NLOTH would have done better?). At least those songs wouldn't have been thought of as Vertigo 2.0

I don't see U2 getting played on the radio without doing some sort of commercial tie-in. And you know what, I'm OK with that. Times have changed, Radio isn't what it used to be...and as long as the product isn't something extremely stupid, we all want to see U2 sell loads of albums.

but back to the point, I'm afraid if they don't have that big single to sell, they will hold off.

Honestly, no. If they do, it's a bonus, but if they don't, so what? Other tours have stretched over two years without the release of new material.

I guess the difference is that they told us a long time ago that they have an album, and a lead single, and a title, and a theme.

If they don't release an album in 2010, it kinda is cowardly..... :(

Honestly, no. If they do, it's a bonus, but if they don't, so what? Other tours have stretched over two years without the release of new material.

see, i would normally agree. but this time is different. the band gave us an album title, a first single, and a release date of late 2009, and now it's looking like it might not even see the light of day in 2010.

i'm normally very patient with U2 and i understand that Bono blows a lot of smoke, but i guess i'm just at the end of the rope with them at the moment...

It's the (presumed) reason why it wouldn't be getting released that would categorize it as 'epic fail'--not simply the fact that they don't release an album. We know (or at least very strongly suspect) that the material is there, and the question is really going to boil down to whether or not they have the balls to release an album that isn't the THRICE A DECADE BIG U2 ALBUM WITH POTENTIALLY HUGE HIT SINGLES. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt they'll release the less mainstream material that they were all considering--at one point or another--for NLOTH (let alone for a follow-up album). I want to hear that stuff even if the only single-worthy song is Every Breaking Wave.

I guess my way of seeing it is that we're in a special category of uber fans who obsess and hang onto their every word, where the general public and their more normal category of fans probably has no idea that another release was being considered.

I really do think that the reception to NLOTH is what has swayed them against releasing it (if that's actually what's happening right now, I'm not fully convinced it is). So, should they learn to stfu until they have more solid information? Probably. But they were all guilty of talking about it at one time or another, it wasn't just Bono. And I still get the feeling that if it were up to Bono, it'd be released. He seems to be one of the least conservative, creatively.

I guess my way of seeing it is that we're in a special category of uber fans who obsess and hang onto their every word, where the general public and their more normal category of fans probably has no idea that another release was being considered.

I really do think that the reception to NLOTH is what has swayed them against releasing it (if that's actually what's happening right now, I'm not fully convinced it is). So, should they learn to stfu until they have more solid information? Probably. But they were all guilty of talking about it at one time or another, it wasn't just Bono. And I still get the feeling that if it were up to Bono, it'd be released. He seems to be one of the least conservative, creatively.

I completely agree that the reception of NLOTH is what is/could be making them nervous about releasing it. But that's precisely why it would be so devastating if we don't get the album.

I don't know what to think. i get a bit tired knowing they have to make everything they do as perfect as possible.

I think they could really put out some interesting music if they'd go with a few more instincts, rather than overcooking the song (and i know overcooking can work out as well, WTSHNN being the most famous example).

I just don't get their mentality with the BIG SINGLE. The only reason Vertigo broke open was because of the iPod commercial. This time around they didn't have that type of promotion, and GOYB didn't go off like they thought it would (and i do love the song, but maybe MAG or NLOTH would have done better?). At least those songs wouldn't have been thought of as Vertigo 2.0

I don't see U2 getting played on the radio without doing some sort of commercial tie-in. And you know what, I'm OK with that. Times have changed, Radio isn't what it used to be...and as long as the product isn't something extremely stupid, we all want to see U2 sell loads of albums.

but back to the point, I'm afraid if they don't have that big single to sell, they will hold off.

:up:

I guess the good thing about NLOTH is this: U2 now knows that a hit first single is the most (only?) important factor in having a good quality album blow up in the mainstream. If Every Breaking Wave is really all that, U2 should be fine with putting the album out there--even if they don't have any other obvious singles on SOA.

agreed.....though it does seem that the new album hype reached audiences further than the die-hards this time, especially since Paul McGuiness told an Irish newspaper that the album was likely to come out in June.

I guess I just find it hard to believe at this point that we won't get anything. I think an EP is looking more and more likely. It'll allow them to release and play some of their new material without the pressure of a Giant Hyped U2 Album Release, and then they won't run the risk of the inevitable "two shit albums and we're out" discussions. Not that I think NLOTH was shit, it's anything but, I'm more thinking of the way they're perceiving it, via the sales numbers.

I can't see them just playing new material with no release. The vast majority of people at shows are casual to moderate fans, and unknown songs would be definite bathroom break material for them.

I guess I just find it hard to believe at this point that we won't get anything. I think an EP is looking more and more likely. It'll allow them to release and play some of their new material without the pressure of a Giant Hyped U2 Album Release, and then they won't run the risk of the inevitable "two shit albums and we're out" discussions. Not that I think NLOTH was shit, it's anything but, I'm more thinking of the way they're perceiving it, via the sales numbers.

I can't see them just playing new material with no release. The vast majority of people at shows are casual to moderate fans, and unknown songs would be definite bathroom break material for them.

I don't believe in U2 doing things half-way. I expect either an album or just a single, but not an EP. It seems to be the unhappy medium...

It's the (presumed) reason why it wouldn't be getting released that would categorize it as 'epic fail'--not simply the fact that they don't release an album. We know (or at least very strongly suspect) that the material is there, and the question is really going to boil down to whether or not they have the balls to release an album that isn't the THRICE A DECADE BIG U2 ALBUM WITH POTENTIALLY HUGE HIT SINGLES.

Exactly. If they hadn't given the name of album, the lead single, release date and keep hopes up it wouldn't be seen as an 'epic fail'. They did though and the discussion of SOA began almost immediately after the release of NLOTH. People here were in some cases even more excited about SOA than the album that was just released. The band created this excitement and expectation. They could have ended it or severally pulled back on the hype far earlier but they didn't. There is teasing a fanbase and not following through. However, to lay out so many details while giving the impression that they have the songs and then to not follow through is a far greater disappointment. So yeah, knowing what we know or what we think we know would make this an epic fail.

I don't believe in U2 doing things half-way. I expect either an album or just a single, but not an EP. It seems to be the unhappy medium...
I can't see U2 releasing an EP.
But I can perfectly see U2 re-releasing NLOTH as The Horizon Prospekt's Monster before the tour restarts with a bonus EP with NLOTH's outtakes like "Winter", EBW, Kingdom and maybe one or two made-to-be-hit songs. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what the boys' gonna do.

But I can perfectly see U2 re-releasing NLOTH as The Horizon Prospekt's Monster before the tour restarts with a bonus EP with NLOTH's outtakes like "Winter", EBW, Kingdom and maybe one or two made-to-be-hit songs. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what the boys' gonna do.

I cannot see that, and when I say that I cannot see that, I mean that I will reach in and pull out my eyeballs before I allow myself to see it! :O

I just got a fantastic album from them.. I love No Line on the Horizon. been loving the 360 songs.

I 'd be happy just to hear new songs now. an EP, a NLOTH tag-on, whatever.. band's in a great place.

Exactly. If they hadn't given the name of album, the lead single, release date and keep hopes up it wouldn't be seen as an 'epic fail'. They did though and the discussion of SOA began almost immediately after the release of NLOTH. People here were in some cases even more excited about SOA than the album that was just released. The band created this excitement and expectation. They could have ended it or severally pulled back on the hype far earlier but they didn't. There is teasing a fanbase and not following through. However, to lay out so many details while giving the impression that they have the songs and then to not follow through is a far greater disappointment. So yeah, knowing what we know or what we think we know would make this an epic fail.

It's the same thing after every album, however. If anyone still honestly expects an album before 2012 at the earliest (more likely 2013 or 2014), then I would say they aren't hardcore fans and probably wouldn't have heard such rumors to begin with.

I don't see why only the next 2 years are an option on this poll. It makes 100% of the predictions incorrect, lol.

It's the same thing after every album, however. If anyone still honestly expects an album before 2012 at the earliest (more likely 2013 or 2014), then I would say they aren't hardcore fans and probably wouldn't have heard such rumors to begin with.

I don't see why only the next 2 years are an option on this poll. It makes 100% of the predictions incorrect, lol.

With respect, you haven't been paying attention. The situation after the last 2 albums was nothing like it currently is.

see, i would normally agree. but this time is different. the band gave us an album title, a first single, and a release date of late 2009, and now it's looking like it might not even see the light of day in 2010.

i'm normally very patient with U2 and i understand that Bono blows a lot of smoke, but i guess i'm just at the end of the rope with them at the moment...

Completely agree with you!

It was them who were telling everywhere a NLOTH-follow up album would come soon. They made a lot of buzz on SOA, possible new songs. So in that case, it's indeed an epic fail. I don't believe it will see the light this year.

It's whether they have the guts to do it or not. They are too much obsessed with the idea that they need to bring out the best selling album with the biggest hits all the time...They feel disappointed about the (according to them) disappointing success of NLOTH. They don't see that from a creative point of view, NLOTH is far better than the better-selling HTDAAB. They want to be the biggest band in the world, not the best.

I hope they don't do this, but it's more likely than an EP.

The thing that really bums me out about the possibility of SOA not being released (because if doesn't happen this year then I think we can be pretty sure that whatever we get next will have little of that original stuff) is that it would/will likely be such a great addition to the U2 catalog. Something to turn to instead of Million Dollar Hotel, Captive, or Passengers when we're looking for something transportive...but in a dreamier, less propulsive way. Something (most) hardcore fans would really treasure. Sigh.

The thing that really bums me out about the possibility of SOA not being released (because if doesn't happen this year then I think we can be pretty sure that whatever we get next will have little of that original stuff) is that it would/will likely be such a great addition to the U2 catalog. Something to turn to instead of Million Dollar Hotel, Captive, or Passengers when we're looking for something transportive...but in a dreamier, less propulsive way. Something (most) hardcore fans would really treasure. Sigh.

See, this is part of the problem. Bono gave us just enough detail that we all think we know SOA already. We've imagined the album. Any album which is not what we imagined a year ago will disappoint.....

See, this is part of the problem. Bono gave us just enough detail that we all think we know SOA already. We've imagined the album. Any album which is not what we imagined a year ago will disappoint.....

That's been a problem with every recent release, though. NLOTH was supposed to be a huge departure. HTDAAB was supposed to be molten metal from Mars, or whatever the phrase floating around at the time was.

I really try not to have any expectations. I might listen to beach clips once or twice, and then by the time the album is released, I've fortunately forgotten how they sounded. That's probably as much a result of my frustration with actually hearing anything on them though, as it is my desire not to raise expectations which, at that stage of the game, probably won't be fulfilled, anyway. I read your descriptions of them, and I honestly think you're (the general you're, not you specifically, Niceman) projecting what you want to hear onto them.

Bleh. Still trying to remain optimistic. It's not easy though. You're all a bunch of downers. :wink:

That's been a problem with every recent release, though. NLOTH was supposed to be a huge departure. HTDAAB was supposed to be molten metal from Mars, or whatever the phrase floating around at the time was.

I really try not to have any expectations. I might listen to beach clips once or twice, and then by the time the album is released, I've fortunately forgotten how they sounded. That's probably as much a result of my frustration with actually hearing anything on them though, as it is my desire not to raise expectations which, at that stage of the game, probably won't be fulfilled, anyway. I read your descriptions of them, and I honestly think you're (the general you're, not you specifically, Niceman) projecting what you want to hear onto them.

Bleh. Still trying to remain optimistic. It's not easy though. You're all a bunch of downers. :wink:

Well, if it helps, U2 claim to have recently written some very happy songs! :D
(Irony!)

It's not us that are downers, it's U2 :)

I just never understood a band that is very much proud of technology, in fact boasts about how they want to be on the cutting edge of technology.....keeps it's fans in the dark as much as they do in regards to the music.

LOL, punk rock on Venus outrage.

I still think we will get new material before the end of 360 tour (that is, including 2011 S. American/Australian dates). And I really hope it's more than a measly single or a crummy EP.

Back
Top Bottom