What do we know so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Just thought I would make this thread so everyone is the same level in regards to the new album. I really don't have a clue, it just takes so very long to pick through the numerous 10, 15, 20+ etc page threads.

Just a note, this is what we know, not what we assume

I'll kcik us off. We know:

- Rick Rubin is producing the album

COBL_04 said:
Just thought I would make this thread so everyone is the same level in regards to the new album. I really don't have a clue, it just takes so very long to pick through the numerous 10, 15, 20+ etc page threads.

Just a note, this is what we know, not what we assume

I'll kcik us off. We know:

- Rick Rubin is producing the album

We dont know that. Its an assumption/good possibility. Neither U2 or Rubin have said he is producing the next album for sure. Its been discussed, thats it. I think that is where they are leaning at this stage but I dont think its set in stone by either party. The Rolling Stone comment about it was all based on assumption speculation based on what both parties have said. If you read what they have actually said about it (the band and Rubin) its pretty vague at this stage.

Interesting, then, Edge (who I assume was aware Rolling Stone said in the article they're working with Rubin) didn't say something like "we don't have a producer yet" or "no, we're not working with Rubin".

U2girl said:
Interesting, then, Edge (who I assume was aware Rolling Stone said in the article they're working with Rubin) didn't say something like "we don't have a producer yet" or "no, we're not working with Rubin".

Interesting in that he didnt say he was definately the producer either.

Why is it you have to contradict just about everything I post most of the time? I notice you do that to a few other people as well.

Like I have said and did say in this thread. Rubin is a very good possibility and I think that is what they are leaning towards at this point. They also confirmed that Chris Thomas was producing Bomb. Bottom line is we do not know until they go into the studio and Rubin is there with them. Even then, it could all fall through and they could go a different way. Its happened before.

Rubin probably told them to come back to him when they had some demos of some actual songs to work on. So that's probably the stage they're in, just writing songs... bunches of songs. Then when they have them fairly well done, they'll go back to Rubin and he will help them construct all these demos into a concept, theme, overall sound and turn it into an album.

U2girl said:

He wouldn't have said they weren't working with Rubin because they have worked with Rubin at Abbey Road and I would presume they are probably in contact with Rubin probably sending recordings for him to hear, but they have not officially signed any contracts for the production of the next album so until that point nothing is set in stone. The Abbey road sessions were a trial to see if they could work with Rubin and they have tentatively said that things went well. However, Bono seemed slightly sarcastic when he commented at one point about Rubin wanting them to have songs ready before going in to the studio so I'm not sure the band is really psyched about working with him. Usually when they like someone they tend to rave on a bit and they have been fairly reserved in their comments about Rubin. Also Edge's comment about working with Eno and Lanois again maybe happening sooner than you might think could be a tip off that they may be trying to get them to come in on the next project. Obviously they are not going to burn bridges with Rubin unless they come up with a better prospect. Bono commented that Rubin doesn't say much in the studio but it is a loud silence, but they may have reservations about how that style would work with them for an entire album since they tend to be a very verbal bunch. U2 needs a producer who can push them around when necessary and Bono is definitely the type to want to really thrash things out so it could be a matter of deciding whether Rubin's style really works with them.

In any case what we know is that Rubin is being considered to produce the next album but until they sign on the dotted line anything can happen. And of course looking at what happened with Bomb that's still no guarantee. It's actually looking to me like Lillywhite is the only one really willing to kick their ass in the studio, or maybe they should get Flood back in and give him the spikey hat again.

Dana

Having read this thread (and some of the others) I can only conclude...we know nothing!:|

Headache in a Suitcase said:
half the people here will love it, half will hate it, half will be indifferent.

No, EVERYONE will love it when it leaks, and when its released, and about a year after everyones overplayed all the songs, and Analyzed them to the nearest decimal point, everyone (or most) will hate it.

The cycle continues :wink:

It's going to be their best album.
The Edge will be doing some extraordinary work.
All tracks on the album could be singles.

And so on and so on...

rihannsu said:

He wouldn't have said they weren't working with Rubin because they have worked with Rubin at Abbey Road and I would presume they are probably in contact with Rubin probably sending recordings for him to hear, but they have not officially signed any contracts for the production of the next album so until that point nothing is set in stone. The Abbey road sessions were a trial to see if they could work with Rubin and they have tentatively said that things went well.

That was my impression too.

There wasn't anything official on U2.com - but that doesn't mean they aren't in contact with Rubin anyway, and that he isn't providing feedback while they're writing songs. And to me, until and unless they announce Rubin isn't producing, I won't assume otherwise. It's possible that Rubin is busy working on Metallica and Linkin Park albums (and anything else he may have planned for 2007), yes, but I don't think he's out of the picture yet.

we know that the last album came out in november of 2004, so we know that the earliest we'll see a new full U2 album will be november of 2008

Numb1075 said:
we know that the last album came out in november of 2004, so we know that the earliest we'll see a new full U2 album will be november of 2008

This is poor logic caused by the spread of incorrect information.

LemonMelon said:

It only took them 4 years to finish an album ONCE. ONCE, DAMMIT. :banghead: And that was only because they changed producers halfway through the sessions and tossed what they had. :| I don't know how this incorrect information is lodged in so many member's heads now.

Zooropa--->PASSENGERS--->Pop 2 years between each
Pop--->ATYCLB 3 1/2 years
ATYCLB--->HTDAAB 4 years

The average length between U2 albums is 2.083 years. Look it up.

^ Don't feel too bad, I've had to copy and paste this at least twice so far at different times.

LemonMelon said:

And you're using U2.com for what reason, exactly? :eyebrow:

They get the news 6 months after we do. :tsk:

I say U2.com because they're the official site. Under "official" read also PM statements, U2 member interviews, though no doubt well informed sites will be on top of things. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

It only took them 4 years to finish an album ONCE. ONCE, DAMMIT. And that was only because they changed producers halfway through the sessions and tossed what they had. I don't know how this incorrect information is lodged in so many member's heads now.

Zooropa--->PASSENGERS--->Pop 2 years between each
ATYCLB--->HTDAAB 4 years

Don't feel too bad, I've had to copy and paste this at least twice so far at different times.

But Passengers isn't a U2 album. It's a collaborative side project.

Zooropa--->Pop 4 years
ATYCLB--->HTDAAB 4 years
HTDAAB--->new album probably 4 years

Surely if you were to class the Passengers album as a U2 album, then you'd also need to include Million Dollar Hotel as a U2 album? They each have an equal contribution of external vocalists and instrumentalists.

chocky said:

Surely if you were to class the Passengers album as a U2 album, then you'd also need to include Million Dollar Hotel as a U2 album? They each have an equal contribution of external vocalists and instrumentalists.

Passengers was meant to be a U2 album and might have been released as one if not for its exotic sound. As for MDH, there were only a couple tracks by the band which hardly could be considered an album. LemonMelon is deadline on.

Screwtape2 said:

Passengers was meant to be a U2 album and might have been released as one if not for its exotic sound. As for MDH, there were only a couple tracks by the band which hardly could be considered an album. LemonMelon is deadline on.

:up:

as usual screwtape2 is dead on!

LemonMelon said:

sure, if that is what you believe.

Point being, I'd be shocked if a new full album came out before fall of 2008.

chocky said:

:eyebrow: It took up U2's time in the studio. They weren't hanging around on a beach for 2 extra years or attempting to save the world. They were making this. Two of the songs ended up on a greatest hits; it counts.

advance copies of the new album will be reviewed by fans and will be rated on the standard known as "phaser stars"

and i have no earthly idea what that means but i remember reading that 2.5 years ago.

LemonMelon said:

:eyebrow: It took up U2's time in the studio. They weren't hanging around on a beach for 2 extra years or attempting to save the world. They were making this. Two of the songs ended up on a greatest hits; it counts.

yes it counts as a collaborative side project

you gonna count spiderman the musical as a u2 album too?

Chizip said:

yes it counts as a collaborative side project

you gonna count spiderman the musical as a u2 album too?

Songs from the Spiderman musical aren't going to be on Best of 2000-2010 and played live on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom