What do we know so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jphelmet said:

please tell me that one conference calls are not spent talking about what u2 are doing in the studio.

i'm sure bono is going to take that time to fill in the one staff on what u2's next move will be.

the point is: she works with people who know Bono very well. she has heard that something will probably happen in 2008. $30m is going to be spent by the ONE Campaign over the next year.

take it for what you will, but do the math.

I don't see how ONE spending $30mil in an election year has anything to do with U2. :shrug: In fact, I think it's to be expected of the organization to do just that--if not more. They need to make their issues something that people care about so that they become campaign topics, and that costs money.

I can see U2 performing at an awareness concert--at the most, maybe even a short string of shows a la Conspiracy of Hope, where they play a few songs as a part of a lineup. But I don't really see them having their own tour just for ONE, nor any release greater than a charity single. Realistically, I think the biggest we'll see is Bono organizing a charity/awareness concert with U2 as one of the guests. But even that's kind of doubtful---what with Live8, LiveEarth, and a few other charity concerts in recent years, I think the world has grown as sick of charity concerts as they have of rubber wristbands.

Last edited:
Utoo said:
I don't see how ONE spending $30mil in an election year has anything to do with U2. :shrug: In fact, I think it's to be expected of the organization to do just that--if not more. They need to make their issues something that people care about so that they become campaign topics, and that costs money.

ONE has many, many members precisely because of the texting done before streets during the Vertigo Tour. it just makes sense to me that Bono is going to do all he can to get his issues -- which are ONE's issues -- to be part of the debate next summer/fall, and there's no better way to do that than to make it an issue when you're on tour. $30m is a lot of money. i take that to mean simply that they are very serious about what they are about to do.

Irvine511 said:

ONE has many, many members precisely because of the texting done before streets during the Vertigo Tour. it just makes sense to me that Bono is going to do all he can to get his issues -- which are ONE's issues -- to be part of the debate next summer/fall, and there's no better way to do that than to make it an issue when you're on tour. $30m is a lot of money. i take that to mean simply that they are very serious about what they are about to do.

I hope your right, and this would be cool, BUT I would say the odds of U2 doing any type of tour next year is slim to none. Odds are we will see a new album at the end of 2008, and a world tour starting of March '09.

I would be shocked if they toured just to be involved with one / election- and I don't see from what they are saying lately there is anyway they have an album out in time to tour in '08.

Irvine511 said:

ONE is going to spend a good $30m to get their issues on the table and part of the debate. no partisanship.

Oh ok. I thought ONE was going to support the Democrats (Democrat candidate).

U2girl said:

Oh ok. I thought ONE was going to support the Democrats (Democrat candidate).

no. it is explicitly bipartisan, and there were Republicans and Democrats at the launch party. and Bono can't credibly take sides -- like he sort of did in 1992 -- because, firstly, he's not an American, and because it would undermine his effectiveness as an activist.

for all of Bush's unspeakable awfulness, he has done more for Africa -- at least in monitary terms -- than any other president in history.

and for ONE, I think it would really help if Barack Obama gets ellected... after all, he's part Kenyan... it could, it should be a MUST for him

Hillary... I don't know... she gives me the creeps :|

Edge has taken sides. He went to a Hillary fundraiser last year.

I would prefer if ONE stays bipartisan. i'm not interested in candidates from either party right now, it's way too early.

silvrlvr said:
Edge has taken sides. He went to a Hillary fundraiser last year.

I would prefer if ONE stays bipartisan. i'm not interested in candidates from either party right now, it's way too early.

That might be more a case of Morleigh taking sides because she would be the one who could vote and if she and her family are supporting Hillary then Edge would be along for the ride unless he had serious moral issues with her.

Dana

Two new song titles (from http://www.telquel-online.com/277/arts1_277.shtml):

For Your Love

One Bird

- Bono says they've recorded ten songs---mostly unfinished---while in Fez.

- Local musicians were used at times

- Edge introduced Bono to the music....perhaps insinuating that Edge really got into the style

- Bono said the music influenced his style of singing

U2girl said:
Bon and they're certainly very sneaky and top secret if we're getting a U2 album this year and tour the next.

.......ZOOTV indoor in Europe was top secret. Tourdate here in Holland was announced the moment it went on sale.....
You can never tell....

The elevation dates sold in one day, but there was no big media hype around it. I bought tickets for show 1, got in line again for tickets for show 2 and got in line again for a ticket for show 3.

This wasn't the case with the Vertigo dates. Vertigo dates were hyped with ads covering the entire page of the paper a few dates before the ticket sales started... everybody knew about it..

Why should U2 hype the news that they're recording a new album in Fez? They could easily doing it low-profile and releasing the album and tour dates at the same time... It really depends on what U2 want, I guess....

Anyways, it's fun daydreaming about a U2 tour in 2008, but personally I think it will be 2009.

wtonis said:

They could easily doing it low-profile and releasing the album and tour dates at the same time... It really depends on what U2 want, I guess....

Anything possible, but they haven't done anything low profile in a long time.

True, but now they are finally getting into their music and I think it may only get better. Bono has said two things which can be a little confusing.

He said:

"We are still a Band but the Rock may have to go"

BUT he said shortly afterwards, "maybe the Rock has to get harder."

Now that was a weird turnaround sentence 4 me but then he said (Either after or before this) "I am into music that gets more involved around th Voice" or something like that, meaning U2 may do an "Acoustic Album", if they are then, this will be a first (If you don't count a few of their previous Acoustic songs within other Albums). I dunno what to make of it if they do chose the "Acoustic Side", then again...it could be the very thing what they are missing within their current Discography. Whatever the style they will be choosing for their next Album, I am definately buying it. I do believe that they may come up with a "Song of the Century", what I mean is that they may make a song so beautiful, so meaningful, that it may take the world be storm and become a Number 1 across both sides of the Atlantic, and I really do hope for them for once, to get a Number 1 that lasts more then just a week, they truely deserve it as they work so hard to give the fans what they want for 30 years. U2, I salute you! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom