U2 needs to look up the word 'horizon'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, it's a title from a man who also penned a song called "where the streets have no name"

and Running To Stand Still. :wink: you can't run and stand still at the same time! gosh! Bono sucked in 1987 too!

At last you woke up to it??? Don't you know that the real U2 was kidnapped after Pop and there's imposters running the show right now? Pretty much like a tribute band.

I've applied that theory to Weezer's past few albums, and it really seems to fit.

ho·ri·zon:
The visible line at which the sky and Earth appear to meet.
The apparent junction of earth and sky.

Given this definition, the title 'NO LINE on the Horizon' is the latest evidence that points to Bono's seriously declining songwriting skills.

Oh, fart-knocker, I've been taking this title literally all along. I thought the album was going to be about an old, 1980's style Plymouth Horizon without pinstripes on it. Now I'll definitely be thinking about the line at the apparent junction of the Earth and sky. I wonder how they'll get that to disappear for the album???

Ahh, nice to see the conversation is still going. Very healthy.

So maybe this horizon debate is the dumbest thread going for a while, but the point I was trying to make is that it'll be interesting to see if Bono will finally fulfill his promise to write better lyrics than "I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tears down the walls that hold me inside." So far, not so good. Bono admitted that writing lyrics is the most boring part of the process. If he treats it so lightly, why should you fans put so much faith in his songwriting skills?

I know. One of you is going to say that I shouldn't take his "lyric writing is boring" confession literally. :down:

here's my take:

I think "No Line On The Horizon" is meant to come off as ominous and dark sounding, yet when you think about it for more than 2 seconds, it is revealed as an optimistic viewpoint. No line on the horizon means having no limits...life is endless...anything is possible...blah blah blah.

Another thought: I like this title because it A) Isn't cheesy...and B) Isn't amazing

It's like in the middle somewhere...it doesn't piss you off or fill u with extreme excitement. It just exists...like a horizon HAHAHAHAHAHAHA wow I've done a complete 360.

Ahh, nice to see the conversation is still going. Very healthy.

So maybe this horizon debate is the dumbest thread going for a while, but the point I was trying to make is that it'll be interesting to see if Bono will finally fulfill his promise to write better lyrics than "I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tears down the walls that hold me inside." So far, not so good. Bono admitted that writing lyrics is the most boring part of the process. If he treats it so lightly, why should you fans put so much faith in his songwriting skills?

umm...what do you mean? ....write better lyrics than the opening to Streets? What are you talking about? And can you tell me where/when Bono said writing lyrics is the most boring part of the process?

So maybe this horizon debate is the dumbest thread going for a while,

:yes:

but the point I was trying to make is that it'll be interesting to see if Bono will finally fulfill his promise to write better lyrics than "I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tears down the walls that hold me inside."

Oh, so that was the point of this thread? Really, so now we're judging lyric writing by titles?

So do you consider that opening line a good lyric?

So far, not so good. Bono admitted that writing lyrics is the most boring part of the process. If he treats it so lightly, why should you fans put so much faith in his songwriting skills?

I know. One of you is going to say that I shouldn't take his "lyric writing is boring" confession literally. :down:

So far, not so good? Do you mean so far from what you've read of the new liner notes of the album that hasn't been released yet, or since 1987?

here's my take:

I think "No Line On The Horizon" is meant to come off as ominous and dark sounding, yet when you think about it for more than 2 seconds, it is revealed as an optimistic viewpoint. No line on the horizon means having no limits...life is endless...anything is possible...blah blah blah.

Another thought: I like this title because it A) Isn't cheesy...and B) Isn't amazing

It's like in the middle somewhere...it doesn't piss you off or fill u with extreme excitement. It just exists...like a horizon HAHAHAHAHAHAHA wow I've done a complete 360.

Wow, someone's been over analyzing...

But I have to ask about your theory that it's "meant to come off as ominous and dark sounding, yet when you think about it for more than 2 seconds, it is revealed as an optimistic viewpoint", first off I'm not sure why you think that's obvious, but secondly given your tone what is wrong with optimism?

Wow, someone's been over analyzing...

But I have to ask about your theory that it's "meant to come off as ominous and dark sounding, yet when you think about it for more than 2 seconds, it is revealed as an optimistic viewpoint", first off I'm not sure why you think that's obvious, but secondly given your tone what is wrong with optimism?

Wow...u have completely misread me. I said "I like the title" because it is clever in the way it sounds kinda ominous...at least to me it does. "No Line On The Horizon"..to me it sounds like danger is in the air or something to that effect. But...when you think about it and look at the title more closely, it reveals itself to be quite positive...meaning "no line on the horizon" can translate to "no limits" - which i guess could be dark as well, but this is U2 were talking about, the band of hope, so from my POV it translates to "life is limitless, anything is possible".

Sorry if i'm analyzing. Lyrics tend to have that effect on people.

Maybe my original post came off as sarcastic, but it wasn't sarcasm i was aiming for. I am actually sincere, i think it's a fine title for an album. It isn't amazing, it doesn't suck, it's just a solid title.

Thanks for clarifying. The "blah blah blah" made it seem like you were disappointed Bono was going to try for another optimistic route.

To add even more to the confusion, when I first heard the (potential) title "No Line On The Horizon" I didn't think it's a positive, optimistic title. Why? Because there is a saying in my language: There's a line on the horizon, which means: There is light at the end of the tunnel, there are better days coming, solutions for a long problem, etc. So "No Line" would mean the opposite of that.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine wrote me an e-mail today because I just moved to a new apartment and living between boxes now and cannot find anything, everything is just super-chaotic. I told her about some of the progress I'm making and she replied: See, there's a line on the horizon.

Thus, the phrase can mean something totally different than what's been discussed here.

To add even more to the confusion, when I first heard the (potential) title "No Line On The Horizon" I didn't think it's a positive, optimistic title. Why? Because there is a saying in my language: There's a line on the horizon, which means: There is light at the end of the tunnel, there are better days coming, solutions for a long problem, etc. So "No Line" would mean the opposite of that.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine wrote me an e-mail today because I just moved to a new apartment and living between boxes now and cannot find anything, everything is just super-chaotic. I told her about some of the progress I'm making and she replied: See, there's a line on the horizon.

Thus, the phrase can mean something totally different than what's been discussed here.

Maybe Bono was moving some more of His possessions from Dublin to France, and because He has so much stuff, He said there was "no line on the horizon"!?!

Surely NLOTH refers to the band not seeing a destination point, believing that they are just going to keep going and going, reassuring the fans that they won't be getting off the train any time soon? U2 are the Tans-Siberian Express of rock & roll bands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom