The real reason U2 isn't releasing any of this material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edge keeps losing the CDs which is why they haven't released anything.

Actually, that would be a good sign of something coming up.

I am amazed people was expecting a new album in May, especially since the lyrics, the songs and what not haven't been misplaced stolen or accidently erased. When THAT happens, I will be optimistic. ;)

U2 currently has at least 4 unfinished album projects - possibly upto 8 depending upon how you look at it.

But they don't seem to be releasing the new material commercially.

Why is this?

It seems they suffer from perfectionism and ego! And perfectionism is form of procrastination.

Ity's good to have high levels of work doesn't it? Sloppiness just wouldn't do. Must try your hardest or not at all. Slopppiness is bad. I'll also say the same thing for concerts. No one pays money to watch a half-arsed performance. That means, stop drinking in between concerts.

They're striving to create hit singles that will top the global mainstream* charts yet realise the material won't hit the mark and consequentially not release it commerically... Well, till they feel they really have to

NLOTH was a niche album. It's better to maintain dignity rather than lowering yourself to a mainstream audience who spend most of their time listening to music that sound like a buzzing fly trapped in a paper cup!

An unfortunate circumstance for a band who once claimed not to care what the mainstream thought...

Well, they do change their minds like yoyo's. One minute Bono says this and does the oppsite. Make up your mind!

They're scared, they have OCD, they're hoarders, they're perfectionists, they're insecure...

Oh that's fantastic news! When I'm sitting watching telly, Ihave to ensure that my books on the coffee table are all 100% perfectly lined up. I cannot bloody rest until they are so. There's no point doing anything unless you're striving for 100% perfection. It's take it time (it takes me 5 minutes at least to perfect my pile of books) but if you don't do this, you have pent up anxiety.

If that was the case we wouldn't have gotten any new albums after 1992

Yeah but the "Demos" comment from Edge shows otherwise. They probably could have "finished" it by May if there were no Spiderman problems, but it was a flop so they've got they're hands full. Also NLOTH was another delayed album so it's not surprising that they would want to do it again.

Of course it could all be a smokescreen and the album is coming out next month. :wink:

wut b kind of swing dis new jenk spose ta have, any of dis jenk on da torent yet like to prevu da sounds, mayb inovate sum would be best if not sure bout da direction,

Ity's good to have high levels of work doesn't it? Sloppiness just wouldn't do. Must try your hardest or not at all. Slopppiness is bad.
Perhaps you're being facetious with your responses but I'll address them seriously.

You're definitely right, sloppiness just wouldn't do, but there's a point where a creative project doesn't improve no matter how much work is done to it. It doesn't improve in quality, it just changes.

Thats what I meant by perfectionism is a form procrastination.

NLOTH was a niche album. It's better to maintain dignity rather than lowering yourself to a mainstream audience who spend most of their time listening to music that sound like a buzzing fly trapped in a paper cup!
If U2 weren't lowering themself to a mainstream audience why did they bother to shove three "over produced" tracks in the middle of No Line On the Horizon?

Maybe "over produced" is just my opinion, but to me it sounds like NLOTH was a niche album until some bright spark decided to add some mainstream friendly tracks, which coincidentially were also released as singles.

Yet one of the alleged "mainstream singles" songs was completely reworked for the live shows, and one of them was never a single, or even played live. And we all know how well things went for the lead single from NLOTH...

This "shove singles down the middle" theory isn't really convincing, since 1/3 failed at the job, 1/3 was completely reworked and 1/3 has yet to be played live, and was never a single.

wut b kind of swing dis new jenk spose ta have, any of dis jenk on da torent yet like to prevu da sounds, mayb inovate sum would be best if not sure bout da direction,

yo yo no one has herd the new sounds yet non of the jenk is on da torentz. Them dawgs are holdn them phat sounds mad tight.

This "shove singles down the middle" theory isn't really convincing, since 1/3 failed at the job, 1/3 was completely reworked and 1/3 has yet to be played live, and was never a single.
And that's exactly my point!

Brian Eno said in an interview after NLOTH was released U2 spent all this additional time trying to perfect their singles [sic], but for the reasons you've highlighted the original intention didn't come into fruition. So the time spent was just procrastion.

Wasn't it officially announced there were going to 4 singles from NLOTH? Surely the fourth was going to be Stand Up Comedy? It sounds over produced like it was engineered to appease the mainstream, but after the album didn't perform as well as expected the fourth single was dropped.

Ok, that's my speculation but SUP to me sounds more in the vein of the tracks released as mainstream singles, rather than something that belongs on a "niche album".

There is no Album! ONLY ZUUUUUL!

(sorry again).

vince_clortho.jpg

Bono will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Gloria , the Wild Horse came as a large and moving Acrobat! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the lemon supplicants, they chose a new form for them: that of a giant City of Blind Lights! Many trees and babies knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Discotheque that day, I can tell you!

And that's exactly my point!

Brian Eno said in an interview after NLOTH was released U2 spent all this additional time trying to perfect their singles [sic], but for the reasons you've highlighted the original intention didn't come into fruition. So the time spent was just procrastion.

Wasn't it officially announced there were going to 4 singles from NLOTH? Surely the fourth was going to be Stand Up Comedy? It sounds over produced like it was engineered to appease the mainstream, but after the album didn't perform as well as expected the fourth single was dropped.

Ok, that's my speculation but SUP to me sounds more in the vein of the tracks released as mainstream singles, rather than something that belongs on a "niche album".

You said they deliberately put on the middle trio to get into the mainstream. I'm saying the theory doesn't work.

SUC was worked on for 16 months, which means it was around for a long time, surely well before they had a sit down to decide which songs will be singles.

There were intentions of having 4 singles, but I don't think SUC was going to be a single, considering it was never played live.

Yet one of the alleged "mainstream singles" songs was completely reworked for the live shows, and one of them was never a single, or even played live. And we all know how well things went for the lead single from NLOTH...

Just because they weren't mainstream successes doesn't mean U2 didn't try to make them mainstream successes.

SUC was worked on for 16 months, which means it was around for a long time, surely well before they had a sit down to decide which songs will be singles.

This doesn't make any sense. They have to have songs before they decide on singles, right? And precisely the fact that they worked on it for so long makes me think that they desperately tried to make it a hit. Vertigo is one other example of a song having a complicated birth. Moment of Surrender is a 7-minute song done in (mostly) one take and it wasn't released as a single (Brian Eno lobbied for it, yes). I see no difference in a song being worked on for 16 months or for 16 hours, and how this can affect their decision on what a single should be. I can imagine them working on a song for a long time trying to make it sound as big or radio-friendly as possible, yes. Native Son turning into Vertigo, putting a chorus into Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own when Lilywhite joined in 2004, while the song was there for at least 3 years before it and so on.

I fail to see the connection between Crazy Tonight being completely reworked live and them thinking about it being a single way before the tour commenced, or them reworking it since they didn't think it would be a big single. Mysterious Ways was a huge single and it was completely reworked on ZooTV (and this is what I consider to be a song completely reworked by U2, with added lyrics, added guitar solo, new intro and so on... not playing a couple of notes over a pre-recorded remix track made by Redanka).

Not to mention the fact that Crazy Tonight was released as a single, 2 months after the tour started, thus after and while they were playing the remix. The song was hyped in the interviews before the album came out is that it's the album's Beautiful Day. Of course they wanted that song to sell the album.

Back
Top Bottom