The 'I didn't expect the album to be this great' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The big question is how much I will like the album when I can hear some CD wav quality instead of mp3's? The guitar on NLOTH is buried in the background on the mp3, though I like what I hear.

Yeah very true . I'm honestly proud to be a U2 fan, it feels like it's a great time to be one. Perhaps the right time for my generation ( I'm 21).

On something related , as a drummer , I feel like I've heard Larry's drumming at it's very best. "Crazy Tonight" has an amazing beat.

I honestly didn't think that Larry would ever be this good again, much less want to play this way. He is incredible throughout the whole thing.

Apparantley according to some people on the thread about not liking the album, they should hurry and bring out another album soon :|

am sorry i just dont get there attitudes, they dont like it, so all of a sudden things should just change

I'm definitely in this camp. :up: I can't really tell you what I expected for this album. On the one hand, I did expect quality, and I love really every album they've put out (yes, including the last two), but I just felt like I was hyping this beyond reason and would probably be somewhat disappointed. However, not only was I immediately thrilled with album for its denseness, experimentation, maturity, and artistry, but as I listen to it more and more, each song is growing on me. These seem to be songs that will continue to reveal themselves in new ways for a long time to come.

Oh tour, you could not come soon enough. :drool:

am sorry i just dont get there attitudes, they dont like it, so all of a sudden things should just change

I get their attitudes. They think it's all about them. They don't look at the glass half full but half empty. To me the glass is overfull but to them U2 work for them and should cater personally to them.

All the songs on this album have champions and detractors so that is a good sign. Most people will have something to like somewhere.

i think this is a strange record. i also think it's a tour de force. i cannot compare it to other U2 albums because it defies comparison. it almost sounds like a new band. i was at first disappointed in MOS because it wasn't "one," in the way that, say, "sometimes" is trying to update "one" and COBL is trying to update "streets." both are good songs in their own right, but they do beg comparisons to earlier U2 songs.

there's nothing in the U2 cannon that we can compare to much that's on this album, really. MOS is a totally different song than "one," but equally as powerful though with a totally different effect.

i think U2 has broadened their already extraordinary emotional range with this album.

I get their attitudes. They think it's all about them. They don't look at the glass half full but half empty. To me the glass is overfull but to them U2 work for them and should cater personally to them.

All the songs on this album have champions and detractors so that is a good sign. Most people will have something to like somewhere.

Great way to sum it up :up:

i think this is a strange record. i also think it's a tour de force. i cannot compare it to other U2 albums because it defies comparison. it almost sounds like a new band. i was at first disappointed in MOS because it wasn't "one," in the way that, say, "sometimes" is trying to update "one" and COBL is trying to update "streets." both are good songs in their own right, but they do beg comparisons to earlier U2 songs.

there's nothing in the U2 cannon that we can compare to much that's on this album, really. MOS is a totally different song than "one," but equally as powerful though with a totally different effect.

i think U2 has broadened their already extraordinary emotional range with this album.

Your not bloody wrong, MOS took me a few listens to "get", but when i did i relised just how beautiful it is, its not rying to be like one of their older songs as has happened on the last couple of albums,

and my god i cannot get Crazy tonight out of my bloody head, i really cant

I'm shocked, quite frankly. The word that comes to mind when I listen to the album is "Gorgeous". I didn't think they had it in them, I am so happy to be wrong.

This is one of the most intelligent posts I've seen regarding the new album--great points all around. MoS is definitely not what I was expecting either, and I think it really is a new sound for them. I would put WAS in this category as well. U2 is proving that they still have new emotional territory to explore in their music; they've sidestepped the tendency to retry certain winning formulas in favor of entirely new formulas--Unknown Caller is a pretty odd-sounding song for example. Magnificent is like a trance version of something as iconic as "Everlasting Love" (the original). Fez-Being Born is downright haunting, almost like Alex Descends put into an Unforgettable Fire blender. On paper, Cedars should be boring, but it's creepy and extraordinarily compelling. I'm very, very impressed.

This is one of the most intelligent posts I've seen regarding the new album--great points all around. MoS is definitely not what I was expecting either, and I think it really is a new sound for them. I would put WAS in this category as well. U2 is proving that they still have new emotional territory to explore in their music; they've sidestepped the tendency to retry certain winning formulas in favor of entirely new formulas--Unknown Caller is a pretty odd-sounding song for example. Magnificent is like a trance version of something as iconic as "Everlasting Love" (the original). Fez-Being Born is downright haunting, almost like Alex Descends put into an Unforgettable Fire blender. On paper, Cedars should be boring, but it's creepy and extraordinarily compelling. I'm very, very impressed.

I agree with your take on this. Your comment about Cedars especially holds true for me. It sounded like it would be a quality song, but maybe a bit on the dull side. As it is, I find it wonderful and fascinating. Nice to be wrong there!

Since this thread is about what our expectations were, I have to say they were low. I have loved every album excep the bomb. I liked atcylb, where they were at least producing new stuff. I am not bashing bomb, it was still one of the best albums of its year for me, but best album of the year is not the same as a u2 album. bomb seemed like coldplay were playing u2... simple. and like many others have commented I also could not really enjoy the full album after the first two listens; I found myself skipping songs.

Well, that had me worried and frankly boots (though in no way among my favourites), lifted the blanket a little. I like boots in a kind of its a fun better than vertigo type of song, and thats what I expected for a first single: something they could fire out to the masses and be a killer in nightclubs. In many ways similar to vertigo. But it felt better because of the lyrics, there was more density in them than vertigo's, of which only 'everything I wish I didn't know' stands out for me.

And then the leak threads:ohmy::lol:.... After having gone through the fifth day, I was sure that all this obsessive waiting will result in me building it up to such altitudes that it will have to disappoint.....

And I am very happy while writing this, HOW THE FUCK DID IT EXCEED EXPECTATIONS????!!!

This album has twisted me around. I wanted to quote a lot of stuff you guys said, but am too lazy. Someone here said that he couldn't see MOS as another 'one', because this was something different, and not burdened by the past. What is past is past, and I love it (all of my favourites are from there), but this is a band that has moved on, they want to make new music, and I am pretty sure there isn't another piece going around with such musical and lyrical strength, density, and diversity. I have listened to it about 12 times. crazy seems to be the weakest, but thats no shame in this album. Edge is on fire, larry is drumming as well as ever (and making an effort), Adam is on his upward spiral that started from POP, and Bono has actually surprised me. That sonofabitch, he spiked my hopes sky high before HTDAAB, and before this album didn't make much noise... touche.

I like the whole thing so much that I haven't decided which song is the best. My favourite album is JT, then Achtung. I will only know if this is good enough to join them after two or three months, when I pick the album up again after having not listened to it for a while. Then I'll know for sure, but from what I am hearing right now, it seems quite unlikely that this won't end up with a masterpiece label.

What is confirmed, though, is that U2 are back in the game and ready to take it by the scruff of the neck. :D

I'm only on my second listen but I want more. And more after that. :drool:

I don't recall having the same feeling with Bomb. I really don't.

This is so much more than that... I've been waiting for a U2 album like this, but I don't think I really realized it, does that make any sense?

I hadn't listened to any of the beach clips - all I'd heard up until tonight was Boots and Magnificent, and the latter was only yesterday.

I'm pretty freaking pleasantly surprised and in total U2 fangirl mode again right now. :love:

I had no expectations ...I just knew it would be good!....and man it's more then just "good" its Fabulous!! :hyper::applaud:

Some great positive threads, I can't describe how I feel nearly as well as some of the posts I have read here.

However, I can say after listening to this album, about 20 times now, it still makes me want to do the Zoo dance.

On full listen #4, and here's hoping it keeps growing on me and others- especially those who think the band sounded tired, predictable, and poppy.

I will admit, though- I am still trying to warm up to tracks 5-7. That's gonna take some time....

because I didn't

and I'm now really happy - the song seem to be getting better with repeated listening

Cool for you, I think the whole album is going to learn on you, yeah learn sounds stupid but it's what I think, you're gonna feel good. I hope anyways.

I think it's their best since Zooropa, maybe since AB, but I am skipping tracks, two at the moment, MOS and Crazy Tonight(a lot of you love those songs, so maybe I'm not hearing something you are)...just could never get into them...but the rest of the album is absolutely fantastic!!

And yes, I also feel, the same as some of you that Magnificent will go down as one of the best all time U2 songs...CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR IT LIVE!

I stated earlier that this album was a notch below ZOOROPA and POP, just short of greatness. Driving around listening to this album, being so blown away by the fact that it's still growing on me and getting better with each listen, I will give it a nudge into the Greatness category, that exists just outside of Masterpiece land, where JT, AB and UF live.

I truly feel it's the album almost everyone has wanted since 2001. And if you don't want it, then you don't know what you are looking for.
*pun intended*

I'm shocked, quite frankly. The word that comes to mind when I listen to the album is "Gorgeous". I didn't think they had it in them, I am so happy to be wrong.

This is just the beginning of what we will be amazed over.:up:

I had no expectations ...I just knew it would be good!....and man it's more then just "good" its Fabulous!! :hyper::applaud:

this.. :up:

Moment of Surrender for alot of fans. Which I think will be a #1 single if it's released as one

You've been a big fan since the age of 7? You must have been some sort of wunderkind. :wink:

Yeah, my dad used to always play there best hits, and i just liked them, and when he bought the slane DVD, he played it every saturday, and i just ended watching it all the time, searched there songs up on the net, and it all started from there i guess.

I'm beginning to love it - initially I was blown away, but when the excitement had settled the following day I listened again and began to think...is this it? Perhaps it was my low after the rampaging high of learning it had leaked.

Then I put it on last thing at night last night and listened to it with my headphones...amazing...

I played a bit of the album this morning too.

I'm just beginning to get to know the songs, their melodies are getting stuck in my head. I'm really loving this album now.

And I agree with a previous poster - with Bomb, after the initial excitement I got the feeling that it wasn't great after a day and began to stop listening to it. With NLOTH, I'm still excited to give it more listens.

I hate comparing to their other great albums so I won't. All I can say is I will definitely be re-visiting this album again and again for years to come.

Just heard it on MySpace.

This is the first time I've been blown away listening to an album for a real long time (last one was In Rainbows by Radiohead in 2007) NLOTH blew that out of the water. This is just beyond unreal.

:drool:

Break down:
5/5: No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, Moment Of Surrender, Unknown Caller, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy, White As Snow, Breathe
4/5: Fez-Being Born
1/5: Get On Your Boots (Of course, Get On Your Boots had to be on an album it simply doesn't belong on.)

Fourth Masterpiece? Hell yeah.

Back
Top Bottom