The Edge to be on 102.1 the Edge / Alan Cross Reviews 'Get On Your Boots'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Title//Lenght//Stage In production//WTF

No Line on the Horizon // 4:11 // Finished // Cenzo Mix - The Biz!

Get on Your Boots // 3:25 // Nearly finished // A few touches up on new Dec mix

Moment of Surrender // 7:12 // Nearly finished (Brian would like to talk about this.) // Bono - Vox > End? Edge - Piano Bass is eating up song? 3rd verse Eno idea

Unknown Caller // 6:06 // Finished // Great Just need [something]

Magnificent // 5:44 // Nearly finished // New Eno Version - Mix Debate [a lot of other stuff written]

Stand Up (Comedy) // ?:?? // Finished // Steve Mix Poss. tweaks [a lot of other stuff written]

Every Breaking Wave // 4:13 // Priority to finish // Vocals TBC - Possible drums [a lot of other stuff written]

Breathe // 4:42 // Second in priority // Bono - Vox > The 'Dec' Mix debate

Crazy Tonight // 4:16 // Priority to finish // Vocals - TBC New gtrs to be added. [something]

?orn (Prov.) // 5:58 // Nearly finished // Intro to be decided on? New Eno Edits + treatment

Cedars of Lebanon // ?:?? // Finished // * Extended edit debate Needs approval?

That's what I managed to read.

based on the numbers that look to be tracklisting info, we get:

1 - Magnificent // 5:44 // Nearly finished // New Eno Version - Mix Debate [a lot of other stuff written]

2 - Every Breaking Wave // 4:13 // Priority to finish // Vocals TBC - Possible drums [a lot of other stuff written]

3 - Moment of Surrender // 7:12 // Nearly finished (Brian would like to talk about this.) // Bono - Vox > End? Edge - Piano Bass is eating up song? 3rd verse Eno idea

4 - Unknown Caller // 6:06 // Finished // Great Just need [something]

5 - Crazy Tonight // 4:16 // Priority to finish // Vocals - TBC New gtrs to be added. [something]

6 - Get on Your Boots // 3:25 // Nearly finished // A few touches up on new Dec mix

7 - Stand Up (Comedy) // ?:?? // Finished // Steve Mix Poss. tweaks [a lot of other stuff written]

8 - Breathe // 4:42 // Second in priority // Bono - Vox > The 'Dec' Mix debate

9 - ?orn (Prov.) // 5:58 // Nearly finished // Intro to be decided on? New Eno Edits + treatment

10 - No Line on the Horizon // 4:11 // Finished // Cenzo Mix - The Biz!

11 - Cedars of Lebanon // ?:?? // Finished // * Extended edit debate Needs approval?

1 - Magnificent
2 - Every Breaking Wave
3 - Moment of Surrender
4 - Unknown Caller
5 - Crazy Tonight
6 - Get On Your Boots
7 - Stand Up (Comedy)
8 - Breathe
9 - ??orn
10 - No Line on the Horizon
11 - Cedars of Lebanon

Unknown Caller // 6:06 // Finished // Great Just need [something]

Watch someone make a thread out of this, taking it to mean that Unknown Caller is great but still needs a certain "something", and that the band could restart the sessions from the beginning just to be safe. :doh:

Watch someone make a thread out of this, taking it to mean that Unknown Caller is great but still needs a certain "something", and that the band could restart the sessions from the beginning just to be safe. :doh:

Dont give them any ideas. :doh:

based on the numbers that look to be tracklisting info, we get:

1 - Magnificent // 5:44 // Nearly finished // New Eno Version - Mix Debate [a lot of other stuff written]

2 - Every Breaking Wave // 4:13 // Priority to finish // Vocals TBC - Possible drums [a lot of other stuff written]

3 - Moment of Surrender // 7:12 // Nearly finished (Brian would like to talk about this.) // Bono - Vox > End? Edge - Piano Bass is eating up song? 3rd verse Eno idea

5 - Crazy Tonight // 4:16 // Priority to finish // Vocals - TBC New gtrs to be added. [something]

6 - Get on Your Boots // 3:25 // Nearly finished // A few touches up on new Dec mix

7 - Stand Up (Comedy) // ?:?? // Finished // Steve Mix Poss. tweaks [a lot of other stuff written]

9 - ?orn (Prov.) // 5:58 // Nearly finished // Intro to be decided on? New Eno Edits + treatment

11 - Cedars of Lebanon // ?:?? // Finished // * Extended edit debate Needs approval?

1 - Magnificent
2 - Every Breaking Wave
3 - Moment of Surrender
4 - Unknown Caller
5 - Crazy Tonight
6 - Get On Your Boots
7 - Stand Up (Comedy)
8 - Breathe
9 - ??orn
11 - Cedars of Lebanon

if true wow I mentioned before how I would love to see first single middle way through the tracklist, kinda return to cassette, had to listen to half the tracks and appreciate the album to get to the first single

no one said boo about my earlier comment

my guess is it says REBORN (PROV.), and likely renamed to Tripoli, (ADDED, if its a song about a journey)

but a wild guess nonetheless

Someone said almost the same thing in the other thread...

Here are my thoughts:

The only reason I would disagree with this is that Tripoli seems to have been an established song for quite awhile, so it would seem odd to still have a "provisional" title(if that is what it means).

The reason I think Tripoli has been an established song for awhile is the Lanois video clips from Fez, the motorcyle video that Anton shot, and given the fact that Bono said the song is about someone on a motorcyle...

I'd laugh...if you weren't so right on the money with that assesment:up:

if true wow I mentioned before how I would love to see first single middle way through the tracklist, kinda return to cassette, had to listen to half the tracks and appreciate the album to get to the first single

What?!

In the day of cassettes albums were almost all "top" heavy in order not to lose the listener. The singles were all at the beginning. What albums are you thinking of???

Tracklisting (possible based on the U2.com clip).

1 - Magnificent
2 - Every Breaking Wave
3 - Moment of Surrender
4 - Unknown Caller
5 - Crazy Tonight
6 - Get On Your Boots
7 - Stand Up (Comedy)
8 - Breathe
9 - ??orn
11 - Cedars of Lebanon

Slow building anthem with the ambience of the Unforgettable Fire and laced with the wide eyed wonder of U2's earlier albums. Edge here is at his most dynamic. Features the line:"Only love can reset your mind".

"Only love can leave such a mark," Bono roars on what sounds like an instant U2 anthem. Will.i.am has already done what Bono calls "the most extraordinary" remix of the tune.

Lillywhite cues up the track, a slow burning track called Every Breaking Wave that gradually builds to a climax brimming with passion and intensity. Bono begins to sing rocking forward and backwards on his studio chair............he performs a note perfect vocal that employs the movement of the ocean as a
metaphor for the human struggle, before building to the plaintive line "I dont know if I'm that strong". Two takes and 10 minutes later its done. Key line "Every Sailor knows that the Sea/Is a friend made enemy"

A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica." "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]," he adds.

Georgiously melodic 7 minute song that already has the air of the U2 classic about it, with lyrics about dark stars and existential crises:"I did not notice the passers-by/And they did not notice me". Recorded in one take. This album's One.

This seven-minute-long track is one of the album's most ambitious, merging a Joshua Tree-style gospel feel with a hypnotically loping bass line and a syncopated beat.

Opens with the sound of birdsong recorded live in Fez. A middle eastern flavoured percussion loop drives this tale about a man"at the end of his rope" whose phone bizarrely begins texting him random instructions: "Reboot yourself","Password, enter here","You're free to go".
Dallas Schoo describes the song as "one of Edge's major solos in his life - you wont hear better than that on any other song".

This midtempo track could have fit on All That You Can't Leave Behind. "The idea is that the narrator is in an altered state, and his phone starts talking to him," says the Edge.

Upbeat pop track with distinct echoes of 60's era Phil Spector, particularly the moment when its chorus disappears into a wash of reverb. Centres around the line: "I'll go crazy If I dont go crazy tonight",

Bono - "Which sounds like a T=shirt slogan to me" notes the singer. Brian Eno said that Crazy Tonight was in a bad way which surprised Larry.

"It's kind of like this album's 'Beautiful Day' — it has that kind of joy to it," Bono says. With the refrain "I know I'll go crazy/If I don't go crazy tonight," it's the band's most unabashed pop tune since "Sweetest Thing."

Formerly titled Sexy Boots this demented electro grunge employs a proto-rockn'roll riff, but propelled into the future, with a hip-hop twist in the middle. Feature bono in flirtacious, self depreciating mode: "I dont wanna talk about wars between nations".

The likely first single, this blazing, fuzzed-out rocker picks up where "Vertigo" left off. "It started just with me playing and Larry drumming," the Edge recalls. "And we took it from there."

Rousing groove-based rocker with shades of Led Zep and Cream. Edge mentions that they're trying to keep Stand Up in a rough state and not overproduce it by putting it through Pro-Tools which cleans up imperfections.

Edge - "Stand Up is just a great gutsy performance from everyone. Stand Up is a swaggering rock and roll song with a real groove.........there's some dirt in what your playing...............Yes, its totally unreasonable. If you're going to do a big guitar song I think you need to push it all the way. It started with a Moroccan rhythm and gone rock n roll."

Another hard rock tune, powered by an unexpectedly slinky groove and a riff that lands between the Beatles' "Come Together" and Led Zep's "Heartbreaker." Edge recently hung out with Jimmy Page and Jack White for the upcoming documentary It Might Get Loud, and their penchant for blues-based rock rubbed off: "I was just fascinated with seeing how Jimmy played those riffs so simply, and with Jack as well," he says.

Arabic cello gives way to joyful chorus. Brian Eno says this is U2's best ever song. It's 8pm and Eno, Bono and Will.i.am are on Olympic Studio 1 writing a cello part for a song called Breathe that U2 - a touch ambitiously - are only beginning to record in ths final fortnight, never mind mix.............the singer belts out a rollicking vocal featuring door-to-door salesman, a cockatoo and a chorus that begins "Step out into the street.......sing your heart out".

Began life as a slow paced Eno-esque ambient treatment, before being dramatically reworked in the Olympic Sessions into an abrasive punk-rock tune akin to Vertigo, with its "No! Line!" chorus chant.

Bono - "It's the Buzzcocks meets Bow Wow Wow", reckons Bono.

The title track's relentless groove began as a group improvisation. "It's very raw and very to the point," says the Edge. "It's like rock & roll 2009."

Daniel lanois instigated closer that finds Bono imagining himself as a weary, lovelorn war correspondent "squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline". Ends with the possibly telling line "Choose your enemies carefully cos they will define you"

"On this album, you can feel what is going on in the world at the window, scratching at the windowpane," says Bono, who sings this atmospheric ballad from the point of view of a war correspondent.

what I was getting at is i think its cool to have first single half way through the album

Yeah, as I said earlier if the news that Tripoli is the opener, I find that reassuing, I too would like the first single to be something other than the first track...

Tracklisting (possible based on the U2.com clip).

1 - Magnificent
2 - Every Breaking Wave
3 - Moment of Surrender
4 - Unknown Caller
5 - Crazy Tonight
6 - Get On Your Boots
7 - Stand Up (Comedy)
8 - Breathe
9 - ??orn
11 - Cedars of Lebanon

Slow building anthem with the ambience of the Unforgettable Fire and laced with the wide eyed wonder of U2's earlier albums. Edge here is at his most dynamic. Features the line:"Only love can reset your mind".

"Only love can leave such a mark," Bono roars on what sounds like an instant U2 anthem. Will.i.am has already done what Bono calls "the most extraordinary" remix of the tune.

Your organizational skills quite possibly make you the man of my dreams. :love:

From the possible track listing it seems that rather than starting high energy this one will build tempo throughout the album.

Dana

Told you...Rolling Stone magazine said "Winter" was dropped ...it will appear on the soundtrack to the movie "Brothers"...so U2 can get their Oscar next year:D

It also gives them a freebie for The Best Of 2000-2010 whether it's good or not since fans will want it on a U2 album...whilst still allowing them to have as many as five tracks from No Line On The Horizon on the next compilation.

ATYCLB: 2-3 (Elevation/Walk On, Kite?)
HTDAAB: 4-5 (Vertigo/All Because Of You/Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own/City Of Blinding Lights, Original Of The Species?)
NLOTH: 4-5
"Winter"
2 New Songs

Definitely enough for a solid collection of their third decade. Fall 2010 release, no?

tripoli-map.gif

Back
Top Bottom