Songs of Experience - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
up to date listing of new songs mentioned in SOE coverage:

1. Morning After Innocence
2. Red Flag Day
3. The Little Things You Give Away
4. Civilisation
5. Get Out Of Your Own Way
6. Instrument Flying
7. Much More Better (title needed)
8. Tightrope

well one doesn't sound like others.

yeah the buzz from someone well placed is that when all is said and done, the tour will have lasted three years - so far they're planning for:

Europe - Spring 2016
North America - Summer 2016
Australia (& Asia?) - Fall 2016

All subject to change. Not sure if South America gets a visit. Stadiums will enter the equation for the final legs.

..plenty of time in between legs to finish an album

If the rumours of touring Europe in march 2016 are true, isn't that kind of early? For the 360 tour, there was a 10 month gap before they started repeating areas to tour in, and for that it went Europe -> North America -> Europe.

So for this current tour, it'll be a 3 month gap, going North America -> Europe -> Europe again!

Is that kind of repetition normal? Or does it contribute to the idea that the next leg will be a revitalised tour done in stadiums, and/or with Songs of Experience, to justify the repetition?
(or maybe u2 simply has enough to demand to tour wherever, whenever the fuck they like)

Last edited:
up to date listing of new songs mentioned in SOE coverage:

1. Morning After Innocence
2. Red Flag Day
3. The Little Things You Give Away
4. Civilisation
5. Get Out Of Your Own Way
6. Instrument Flying
7. Much More Better (title needed)
8. Tightrope

Thanks to band interviews, we can piece together even more now. I think i read in an interview with Bono that 'The Morning After Innocence' opens SoE. The 'u talkin' u2 to me' podcast mentions a song listed as an album opener. If it's the same song, that means that:

Morning After Innocence = "Total kickass album opener", "little more experimental", "huge drums", "Bono's favourite drum breakdown on a u2 album", "favourite sonic part of any u2 album ever", "more of a rock song (than the more pop songs on SoE)".

The 360 tour was supposed to resume on June 3rd in 2010 in Salt Lake City, with a new album. That would've made it Europe-NA-NA-Europe-Australia-south America. Past precedence is really nothing to go off of. It makes sense to resume next year in Europe, as the stage and all the equipment will already be in Europe.

A new rumor says that next years tour will begin in April in Riga. That gives them all of Dec, Jan, Feb and March to finish SOE, if they're still going to do that. So we have Riga in April, Portugal in July... That seems about the right length for a tour leg. We should know everything in about a month.

Then make NA August-October, and then skip over to Asia-Australia at the end of 2016? Just throwing out guesses here.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

Shit, i forgot about Bono's back! I guess the original plan for the 360 tour would've been closer to what they're doing now. Still, the gap between tour legs as originally planned still would've been 8 months, more than double what they're doing now . Seems significantly shorter (which could be justified by a new album/overhauled tour) to me. But still, i think you make a good point that it's not really so different.

I guess november (specifically around the HBO shows) will be pretty tense/exciting, if the consensus is that they're announcing the next tour leg (and potentially SoE with it).

I still believe that we will get at least a new song with the HBO Special. One of which they played on the podcast that was said to be for a film. It could be a giveaway tune as a result of showing them working on that specifically or recording on the road in general during a SOE bit (similar to what they did on the Unforgettable fire doc with the progress of Pride).

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
I'm 99% confident that the documentary will have a look into the making of SOE and snippet a couple songs, even it's only for a few minutes.

That documentary seems to have disappeared though. Nothing on HBO, no promo, no nothing. I'm not sure that's still planned to air.

That documentary seems to have disappeared though. Nothing on HBO, no promo, no nothing. I'm not sure that's still planned to air.

Yeah I'm curious about this too. I was actually more excited for this than the concert.

Yeah I'm curious about this too. I was actually more excited for this than the concert.

Me too. But I'm pretty sure it would have at least been mentioned by now if it was still scheduled to air a week before the concert.

It probably will still air - they don't promote the shit out of every special or documentary they have.

Maybe they're promoing the concert hard (I mean, it has a trailer, so I'm just going on that), and the doc will just be slotted in a post-prime time (i.e., after the usual 9:00 Big Movie they air on Saturday nights) without a lot of fanfare.

WTF?! Why are you talking about U2 doing "album-less" tours in the context of an album that is only a year old and talk of another coming out soon? Why do you hate that a band tours to get revenues? Do you not understand the industry? Come on, Mack, get ur shit together.

What I'm fearing is that any band doing album-less tours becoming "legacy" acts. I want them to see new music on top of classic songs. I have nothing against tours being main source of income of bands.

What I'm fearing is that any band doing album-less tours becoming "legacy" acts. I want them to see new music on top of classic songs. I have nothing against tours being main source of income of bands.

But what about U2's current tour and album release(s) has you worrying about that?

That's not what you said in your previous post. You said you hated it and that U2 need to get their shit together...

Isn't being around for almost 40 years, with or without new material, kinda make them a legacy act anyway you slice it? I know RUSH is completely hated around here but I saw them this past summer on their 40 year anniversary tour and it was pretty great......

Isn't being around for almost 40 years, with or without new material, kinda make them a legacy act anyway you slice it? I know RUSH is completely hated around here but I saw them this past summer on their 40 year anniversary tour and it was pretty great......

I don't hate Rush. Alex Lifeson is hell of a guitarist (and Geddy is a hell of a bassist)

I dunno but wouldn't you think there'd be a mention somewhere here:

U2: iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE: Live in Paris | HBO

But what do I know, I just think it's a bit weird. Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks when the schedule comes out.

You can already see the schedule for Sat, Nov 7, and there is nothing on the HBO family of channels' schedules that shows a U2 documentary.

Last edited:
You can already see the schedule for Sat, Nov 7, and there is nothing on the HBO family of channels' schedules that shows a U2 documentary.

I saw this too.. hopefully it's just been temporarily delayed.. I'm looking forward to this

Shame, I hope they still plan to air it eventually.

Huh? Am I missing something? It says Nov 14 on that page, it says so on U2.com and it says so on the teaser. Why are you discussing Nov 7?

EDIT: Oh, I looked it up, I see what you're talking about now. Haven't heard a peep about that. Was it ever officially announced by U2 and/or HBO, or was it some kind of leak?

Last edited:
Last edited:
So delayed or canned? Wouldn't be U2 to delay anything, right?

I was of the impression some had been shown privately and it was quite personal and intense re the injury etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom