Some personal thoughts on No Line On The Horizon, 6 months after release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think UC is the best song on the album and one of their best ever.

I'd call it the second best on the album, but both it and MOS, my favorite from NLOTH, are in my top-ten overall. I kind of consider the two to be one song.

I also agree on UC being a really great song. Right now my favorite on the entire album. I'm beginning to get sick on songs like Magnficent and Breathe, but I still really like the album even now half a year after release. From the looks of it, Songs of Ascent is going to be a great album (although it will probably not do well on the charts). It seems like it'll contain more "weirder" songs in the style of Fez-Being Born and UC (yes, I consider UC to be a quite different and weird song compared to other stuff they've made the last decade).

I think Get On Your Boots holds up surprisingly well on me, I think it's quite alot better now than I did back in late-January.

There's been a lot of talk about this last album...maybe, too much talk. This album was not a masterpiece... this album was -- average, bloody average.

Ha, just fooling, y'all. The thing that I don't get is the deep chasm of love here for "Moment of Surrender", which still puts me to sleep. I seem to be in the minority here, but I don't really get anything from it. The chord change into the chorus is nice, but not much else about it thrills me (I also think Bono's vocal treatment on it is way out of sych with the rest of the song).

Just realized I'd better add something to last post before I get mass-flamed! For an addendum: I like NLOTH, and there are a handful of killer tracks there. I certainly agree that "Unknown Caller" is great, one of the best tracks this decade. I think "Cedars of Lebanon" is my favorite right now... I would be happy with more like that!

I think Get On Your Boots holds up surprisingly well on me, I think it's quite alot better now than I did back in late-January.
Same with me. I hated it when it first came out. But it has really grown on me. I don't think it's the worst song on the album anymore, it's somewhere in the middle.

I think it's a lot better than Vertigo and Elevation. The big difference with Vertigo is that I liked Vertigo at first listen, thought it was brilliant. Now I still like it but nothing more than that. It was the other way round with Boots for me. That's why I think it didn't make a good single.

The thing that I don't get is the deep chasm of love here for "Moment of Surrender".

Insert Uknown caller for me. I enjoy the verses and the solo but the song loses a lot for me with all the technology lingo in the chorus.

Just realized I'd better add something to last post before I get mass-flamed! For an addendum: I like NLOTH, and there are a handful of killer tracks there. I certainly agree that "Unknown Caller" is great, one of the best tracks this decade. I think "Cedars of Lebanon" is my favorite right now... I would be happy with more like that!

Yeah, MOS is my favorite song. But I don't understand the love for the good, but only good, Magnificent.... to each their own!

Insert Uknown caller for me. I enjoy the verses and the solo but the song loses a lot for me with all the technology lingo in the chorus.

Unknown Caller feels like it's mired in quicksand for large stretches of the song. Sometimes I look at the clock and think 3:33 is going backwards to 3:32 during those verses.

But then there's the solo.

NLOTH is definitely in my top 3 of U2 albums. When it came out, I thought it was my favorite all-time album. Now, I'm not as sure...London Calling and Achtung Baby probably are better...but I still love it for Unknown Caller and Breathe.

Unknown Caller is a sonic journey that I want to take again and again--that Edge solo!!!! I love love love Breathe's sunny optimism and my favorite all-time U2 lyric: Walk out/Into the sunburst street/Sing your heart out/Sing my heart out. Hearing that line in concert will make all the expense, all the traveling, all the hassle of attending a stadium show in the next state over from where I live so, SO worth it.

I like NLOTH far, far better than AYCLB, and there are no duff tracks on it like HTDAAB's One Step Closer.

That's my opinion, anyway.

purpleoscar said:
Crazy Tonight has a guitar piano melody that reminds me of a classical piece of music I can't pin down.

namkcuR said:
I know what you're talking about. I don't know what it's called but I know what you're talking about.

I figured it out after 6 months. :doh:

The 2 or 3 notes in Crazy Tonight reminded me of this at 0:20 (Tchaikovsky):

YouTube - P.TCHAIKOWSKY:piano Concerto No.1 Op.23 - Andrei GAVRILOV - I Tempo part 1 (Excellent version)

There I got that earworm out of my head. :D

I'll chip in here...

NLOTH for me will be the album where the U2 that I love, the arena rock stars, went for a more rootsy diversion with a few odd choices thrown in there.

The title track to me is pure rock n' roll brilliance, and I enjoy Stand Up Comedy (although the popular thing on this forum is to loathe it apparently), and Crazy Tonight (Ditto... although the live remix was quite disappointing), however the rest of the album is very... ok.

MOS would be better served with a haircut off of its length, and Cedars of Babylon feels like Bono was trying too hard lyrically.

POYB is allright, once I heard it live I got a better appreciation for it, but I'll now contest that it is how the song is meant to be heard... something was lost in the transition to the recording process for the disc

NLOTH will fall for me in the lowest tier of U2 CD rotation, alongside The Unforgettale Fire, Zooroopa and October (all class albums, but I guess I just miss my rock stars.)

Cedars of Babylon feels like Bono was trying too hard lyrically.

POYB is allright,

NLOTH will fall for me in the lowest tier of U2 CD rotation, alongside The Unforgettale Fire, Zooroopa and October (all class albums, but I guess I just miss my rock stars.)

With these song titles and Unforgettable Fire being lowest tier? It's obvious you live in an alternate universe.

:wink:

A universe with proper rock stars perhaps... I know its not the most welcomed thing on this forum to dislike The Unforgettable Fire... I realize that in my late night lunacy I did switch Babylon for Lebanon though, and acronymed Get On Your Boots to Put On Your Boots (really no excuse for that!) :lol:

A universe with proper rock stars perhaps... I know its not the most welcomed thing on this forum to dislike The Unforgettable Fire... I realize that in my late night lunacy I did switch Babylon for Lebanon though, and acronymed Get On Your Boots to Put On Your Boots (really no excuse for that!) :lol:

Do you still have donuts in your universe????? ;)
lol!

"I know a girl whose 17 i watch her aging everyday for me oh yeah", haha sorry a little creepy but i cant help but sing that sometimes.

No Line on the Horizon (Quagmire Dirty Creep Remix)

6 or 7 months on or whatever, I love nloth, mos, fez and cedars. like unknown caller, breathe, crazy, boots, suc, white as snow.

6 or 7 months on or whatever, i still really do not magnificent.

the U2 that I love, the arena rock stars, went for a more rootsy diversion with a few odd choices thrown in there.

They have not always been about arena rock! :huh: What about Zooropa, Passengers and Pop? And even some of the earlier albums!

lol. UF and Zooropa are like some of their best works!

BVS, do we really need you -- or anyone -- to come back and make a whole post, purely for the purpose of disagreeing with the guy's (girl's?) tastes? He is perfectly entitled to make one of his 9 posts and express himself, and probably doesn't need you adding to your pile of 25,000 just to bite his head off.

There is nothing wrong with disliking any U2 album... Lord, there are more important things to worry about. Fine to get into a critical discussion with the dude, but I wish you wouldn't make an entire post just to say "you're wrong."

(On the other side of the coin, we have Axver, who makes a million posts just to reinforce his strange tastes... but, fair enough, at least he's not attacking people.)

Still love it. Still feel it's great. Been reading the setlists each night and I have been revisiting the songs they're not playing live. Cedars is such a great song to me stil.. I wish they'd play Stand Up Comedy live and maybe play it when I see them next month.

Still love it. Still feel it's great. Been reading the setlists each night and I have been revisiting the songs they're not playing live. Cedars is such a great song to me stil.. I wish they'd play Stand Up Comedy live and maybe play it when I see them next month.

agreed. the way i look at it, the first 4 songs, like most U2 albums, are pretty great. but what puts this album up on my rankings is the second half. songs like Fez-Being Born, Cedars, White As Snow, and even Get On Your Boots carry a lot of weight too. if anything, that's been my biggest disappointment with the last two albums, is that the second half couldn't keep up with the first.

BVS, do we really need you -- or anyone -- to come back and make a whole post, purely for the purpose of disagreeing with the guy's (girl's?) tastes? He is perfectly entitled to make one of his 9 posts and express himself, and probably doesn't need you adding to your pile of 25,000 just to bite his head off.

There is nothing wrong with disliking any U2 album... Lord, there are more important things to worry about. Fine to get into a critical discussion with the dude, but I wish you wouldn't make an entire post just to say "you're wrong."

Could you show me where the hell I did this?

I really wish you wouldn't make an entire post just to talk about some personalized trumped up theory.

Ok, well since you haven't gotten the several clues so far, let me just come out and ask you:

What do you mean by "proper rock stars"?

Part of me wonders if I should answer this due to the 'I'm so much smarter than you are and let my prove it with this witty retort' attitude you present.

That being said...

I was a fairly recent U2 convert (ATYCLB), so my first real experience with U2 is the arena-rock 2 albums of this decade, with a healthy discovery of past albums (Achtung Baby is my favourite)

Proper Rock Stars = Macphisto, Superbowl, Atomic Bomb U2... I appreciate the rootsy stuff, but its on the bottom of the ladder for me.

Back
Top Bottom