Some personal thoughts on No Line On The Horizon, 6 months after release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed, MoS is his best vocal take this decade. By some stretch too, me thinks. In fact, I can’t really think of another one that even deserves a nomination against it.

Disagree, Crazy Tonight is rubbish. It’s just really boring. I’ve bumped those three middle songs to the end of the album on my iPod so I don’t have to put up with that shit knocking me out of being able to enjoy the album in one go. I should move Crazy Tonight off it altogether and onto a playlist called “Silly U2 B-Sides” alongside Big Girls Are Best, move Get On Your Boots onto a playlist called “Good Songs on Wrong Albums” and Stand Up Comedy, well, just delete it I guess.

Agreed, the Magnificent production is stellar.

It's not what's cool, it's what fits the song and therefore the album. Crazy Tonight is supposed to have some teeny-bopper-ness and screechiness to it, not because those are good things, necessarily, but because it's by design for the spot after Unknown Caller. It's the same thing with Unknown Caller... all of the tech references aren't just random or for the sake of being 'cool'. There's more to a good album than that.

I'm not buying this. Bono sounds stupid on the falsetto parts. It's as simple as that. it could've sounded decent if he gave it a few more tries.

I like the song Unknown Caller. I don't have a problem with the lyrics. it works.

that's what im about. what works and what doesn't.

i don't want to have to hear a wretched Bono performance and then have to make up excuses as to why i should like it. sorry, but i don't just automatically start thinking, "geez this is horrible...let me search Bono's artistic soul and figure out why i should see the artistic value in this obnoxious, crappy vocal choice."

one of my friends came up to me after the album was released and said, "you know i really liked that Crazy Tonight song, but what the fuck is up with that part where he goes-(insert crappy Bono falsetto)." He went on to say that it actually ruined the song for him. I feel the same way. The song wasn't that special to begin with, but those disaster moments really don't make me want to ever give that song another spin. it makes me want to avoid it like the swine flu (even if its bullshit).

On the “crazy tonight” line, it sounds silly/fun, makes perfect sense and is all well and good. It’s when he does it again on “haven’t heard” that it just sounds plain terrible and makes you question the first instance as well.

"You don't get it do you?"
Seriously, with respect, you don't. Remember that South Park episode when Kanye didn't understand why everyone was calling him a gay fish? You, and the others who don't understand what Bono was doing in that song are "gay fish."

It isn't a bad vocal, it's a joke. It's him exercising the right to be ridiculous. It's supposed to sound EXACTLY how it does, and IMHO it is EXTREMELY enjoyable as is... Which is probably why the song is doing better with the public than Magnificent did.... A couple of other people out there get that he was making a joke!

He doesn't sound like a 'douchebag,' he sounds like he's playing! He's being silly! That's the point!!!!!!! :doh:

Oh I get it, pal. Bono was just having a grand old time singing horribly into an expensive studio mic in an expensive studio with tons of expensive shit that could've gone into fixing what is now a fucking expensive vocal mistake. to my calculations, it cost me about 15$ to buy the album, an album of 11 songs, let's do the math, it cost me about one dollar and 36 cents to hear this "ridiculous" "fun" "jokey" song and it cost me about the same to buy that small pack of Q tips that i needed to scrub Bono's wretched falsetto's out of my ears, otherwise i would've gone CRAZY THAT NIGHT!!! So at the end of the day i guess i broke even, no biggie.

I get it, Bono's just being silly. Tee-hee. Good for him. I'm glad he's having a blast. But next time save the assclowning bits for the collection of outtakes and rarities album.

There's nothing funny to me about hearing one of the greatest singers in the world sing horribly on purpose. I don't mean he has to sound badass at all times. Christ, his falsetto on Lemon is anything but quintessential Bono, but it fucking works is the point! His granny british falsetto stuff on the "I got you under my skin" single with Frank is off the hook! It works! It's hilarious and it works! But on this song he just sounds

1) stupid
2) out of breath
3) like a complete tool
4) worse than Michael Brady
5) almost as bad as his vocal stylings on the Yahweh chorus

so yea, i get it that the song is meant to be lightweight and fun. in that case why not just have Edge playing out of tune the whole time, and Larry can fuck up the tempo. then we can all say "GOD BLESS! AT LEAST THEY'RE HAVING FUN"

...i hope i've gotten thru here :applaud:

Since you are talking about having fun...
You people know what i miss??? That seriousness, tightness vocal delivery of the 80's. Apart from the much higher notes and the incredible occasional howl, the thing that is missing now is the sense that the vocals were always perfect and in place.

Oh I get it, pal. Bono was just having a grand old time singing horribly into an expensive studio mic in an expensive studio with tons of expensive shit that could've gone into fixing what is now a fucking expensive vocal mistake. to my calculations, it cost me about 15$ to buy the album, an album of 11 songs, let's do the math, it cost me about one dollar and 36 cents to hear this "ridiculous" "fun" "jokey" song and it cost me about the same to buy that small pack of Q tips that i needed to scrub Bono's wretched falsetto's out of my ears, otherwise i would've gone CRAZY THAT NIGHT!!! So at the end of the day i guess i broke even, no biggie.

I get it, Bono's just being silly. Tee-hee. Good for him. I'm glad he's having a blast. But next time save the assclowning bits for the collection of outtakes and rarities album.

There's nothing funny to me about hearing one of the greatest singers in the world sing horribly on purpose. I don't mean he has to sound badass at all times. Christ, his falsetto on Lemon is anything but quintessential Bono, but it fucking works is the point! His granny british falsetto stuff on the "I got you under my skin" single with Frank is off the hook! It works! It's hilarious and it works! But on this song he just sounds

1) stupid
2) out of breath
3) like a complete tool
4) worse than Michael Brady
5) almost as bad as his vocal stylings on the Yahweh chorus

so yea, i get it that the song is meant to be lightweight and fun. in that case why not just have Edge playing out of tune the whole time, and Larry can fuck up the tempo. then we can all say "GOD BLESS! AT LEAST THEY'RE HAVING FUN"

...i hope i've gotten thru here :applaud:

Nope! You don't get it! :applaud:

Since you are talking about having fun...
You people know what i miss??? That seriousness, tightness vocal delivery of the 80's. Apart from the much higher notes and the incredible occasional howl, the thing that is missing now is the sense that the vocals were always perfect and in place.

I just think the "crazy tonight" and the "haven't heard" sounds stupid, bud. That's it! No further insight needed. It disagrees with these ears! Plain and simple.

I miss the days when people can just understand that someone thinks part of a song sounds stupid, and not have to then compare it to past mistakes as like proof that it's not a mistake after all!

Nope! You don't get it! :applaud:

Do you listen to Yoko Ono in your spare time? Why is singing like a no talent jackass some kind of artistic achievement in your book? There are a lot of singers that can contort their voices in many ways, sing in an ugly fashion and actually make it work. Bono is one of these people!!!! WHAT HAPPENED HERE????

Do you listen to Yoko Ono in your spare time? Why is singing like a no talent jackass some kind of artistic achievement in your book? There are a lot of singers that can contort their voices in many ways, sing in an ugly fashion and actually make it work. Bono is one of these people!!!! WHAT HAPPENED HERE????

Dude! Relax! I don't believe you're even trying to understand this!

What are the lyrics of this song about? What are the lyrics of the entire album about? This silly falsetto moment is key to the whole thing! If you'd calm down and think it through, I'm sure you'll get it!

Bono is singing like a brilliant artist who knows what tool to bring for a specific job. He is saying something by singing in a playful falsetto. Do you really not get it? Or are you just pretending??????:hmm:

No, I don't listen to Yoko Ono. I listen to U2, but apparently I understand what I hear better than some, who don't expect to have to ever really think! :lol: Art IS supposed to challenge us, you know?:doh:

"Every beauty has to go out with an idiot/ How can you stand next to the truth and not see it?/ Oh, a change of heart comes slow....."

Well, for what it's worth, I had a listen to Stand Up Comedy a few days ago, and it really isn't half as bad as some fans would think. I'm certain to get keyboard bashed for this but it's quite a decent song, weakest on NLOTH no doubt but not to shabby in general to my ears ...

Dude! Relax! I don't believe you're even trying to understand this!

What are the lyrics of this song about? What are the lyrics of the entire album about? This silly falsetto moment is key to the whole thing! If you'd calm down and think it through, I'm sure you'll get it!

Bono is singing like a brilliant artist who knows what tool to bring for a specific job. He is saying something by singing in a playful falsetto. Do you really not get it? Or are you just pretending??????:hmm:

No, I don't listen to Yoko Ono. I listen to U2, but apparently I understand what I hear better than some, who don't expect to have to ever really think! :lol: Art IS supposed to challenge us, you know?:doh:

"Every beauty has to go out with an idiot/ How can you stand next to the truth and not see it?/ Oh, a change of heart comes slow....."

I am convinced that you don't read any of my posts. Did you not see the mutiple "I GET IT"'s????? I'll say it once more. I GET IT!!!!

I GET THE FACT THAT HE SINGS THOSE COUPLE LINES IN A CAREFREE FALSETTO BECAUSE THE SONG IS ABOUT BEING RIDICULOUS AND CAREFREE AND FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII GEEEEEEEEEEEEET ITTTTTTTTT!!!!!

I get it i get it i get it i get it

do you get it????? do you get it now that I GET IT????

back to my main point, yet again because it seems some people just wait to talk instead of actually listening.

i said it before and i'll say it again: i get what Bono was trying to accomplish there, i get what mood and what theme he was aiming for, i get it bro!

here's the plot twist! it! sounds! STUPID!!!!! I think it sounds REALLY STUPID!

i think he could've, get this....TRIED IT AGAIN!!!

i think maybe quite possibly...IT COULD'VE WORKED!!!!

a different take with a more confident falsetto from Bono could have sealed the deal. but he just failed, fucking tanked on those lines. I am speaking only about the way he SOUNDS. I'm not speaking about the song's CONCEPT.

You know where that calibre of performance could've worked? If the name of the song was "I Can't Sing For Beans And To Even Try To Sing Would Be Crazy Tonight!!!" which would of course be shortened on here to ICSFBATETTSWBCT. A song about not being able to sing competantly. Those falsettos would've sat right at home there.

Looking forward to your response. Before you respond, re-read what i said, i don't feel like repeating the whole "i get it" thing again.

Well, for what it's worth, I had a listen to Stand Up Comedy a few days ago, and it really isn't half as bad as some fans would think. I'm certain to get keyboard bashed for this but it's quite a decent song, weakest on NLOTH no doubt but not to shabby in general to my ears ...

Yeah, I've started to like SUC more and more lately, too. :up:

On the “crazy tonight” line, it sounds silly/fun, makes perfect sense and is all well and good. It’s when he does it again on “haven’t heard” that it just sounds plain terrible and makes you question the first instance as well.

Somehow i missed this...but yea, Mr. Shavers understands what i'm getting at. And I agree, the "crazy tonight" line isn't as bad as the "haven't heard" one. I don't think it sounds pleasant, mind you, but it's not half as bad as the horrendous "haven't heard" moment.

I am convinced that you don't read any of my posts. Did you not see the mutiple "I GET IT"'s????? I'll say it once more. I GET IT!!!!

I GET THE FACT THAT HE SINGS THOSE COUPLE LINES IN A CAREFREE FALSETTO BECAUSE THE SONG IS ABOUT BEING RIDICULOUS AND CAREFREE AND FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII GEEEEEEEEEEEEET ITTTTTTTTT!!!!!

back to my main point, yet again because it seems some people just wait to talk instead of actually listening.

i said it before and i'll say it again: i get what Bono was trying to accomplish there, i get what mood and what theme he was aiming for, i get it bro!

a different take with a more confident falsetto from Bono could have sealed the deal. but he just failed, fucking tanked on those lines. I am speaking only about the way he SOUNDS. I'm not speaking about the song's CONCEPT.

You know where that calibre of performance could've worked? If the name of the song was "I Can't Sing For Beans And To Even Try To Sing Would Be Crazy Tonight!!!" which would of course be shortened on here to ICSFBATETTSWBCT. A song about not being able to sing competantly. Those falsettos would've sat right at home there.

Looking forward to your response. Before you respond, re-read what i said, i don't feel like repeating the whole "i get it" thing again.

I hear you saying that you get it, but you sooooo clearly don't!

forget it dude. i think you know what i'm talking about but you'd rather just play dumb to get a rise out of me. we're arguing about a song. what a waste of time. peace.

I'm not playing anything, especially dumb, although I was kind of shocked by your visceral, angry reaction!

There was nothing "incompetent" about Bono's vocal, whether it happens to be to your taste or not! And there is nothing out of place about writing a song about the necessity of silliness, fun, and play - and then choosing to make one's point not only lyrically, but through careful performance! (Which he did.)

I meant it sincerely when I said that you don't get it. I don't believe that you do. You can repeat the words back to me in as angry a tone as you want, but you don't really understand. If you did, you wouldn't then go on to demonstrate otherwise!

Love and Peace or else right back atcha! :wave:

Yeah, I've started to like SUC more and more lately, too. :up:

Personally I don't believe it warrants the "worst U2 song" title that it seems to receive from a few fans. And the "stop helping god across the road like a little old lady" line isn't bad at all, has a certain playful attitude to it, methinks.

was your face all red when you typed this too? you may want to apologize to your keyboard for all the hard hitting action!

Personally I don't believe it warrants the "worst U2 song" title that it seems to receive from a few fans. And the "stop helping god across the road like a little old lady" line isn't bad at all, has a certain playful attitude to it, methinks.

I still think its a better song than Magnificent!

Even though I know that puts me at odds with most of this community! :wave::lol:

Agreed, MoS is his best vocal take this decade. By some stretch too, me thinks. In fact, I can’t really think of another one that even deserves a nomination against it.

Kite is the only one i can think of. He never came close to the album vocal live, much like MOS.

Coriandersterm: well I liked the tour version, if only they hadn't cut the best part of the song, the solo. Also I really like the vocals on the Jolls Holland version.

Digitize: I know it's supposed to be fun, silly etc. But it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's bad. Not only because he didn't pull it off, it doesn't fit in.

Winter reeks of Coldplay b-side material to me. I'm glad it was left off. That is not in the least a slight against Coldplay, btw. I quite enjoy their music. It just sounds like them, lol.

I still think Winter is 1000 times better than Pez Being Boring, Beaters of Web-Anons or Slight as No.

Thank god U2 left those songs off for three amazing songs that ironically rhyme with those apparently bad songs, what are the odds! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom