SOE promo tour/promo activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pardon me if this has been brought up already, but any grumblings of the ol 2 doing something in New York City on 12/1? three years ago, they did the world AIDS day concert sans Bono in times square. the album drops on 12/1, and they're filming SNL the day after.

U2 on Australian 60 Minutes next Sunday

Any chance there will be any tour dates announced or clues? I think the ARIA awards are on that night too would be perfect for them to do a special video apperance announcing or teasing about tour dates. Woukd be good exposure on two different tv stations.

Any chance there will be any tour dates announced or clues? I think the ARIA awards are on that night too would be perfect for them to do a special video apperance announcing or teasing about tour dates. Woukd be good exposure on two different tv stations.
I'm sure it will get asked. We'll get something like "We're working on it. We hope to get there to see you soon. We love playing Australia, blah blah"

In regards to SNL, I'm hoping for Blackout. If they don't play it...I gotta say I'll be a little disappointed. I don't feel strongly enough about the other new songs to set my heart on anything. What would be most exciting to me would be to play a song we haven't heard up to this point, like Red Flag Day, but we know they won't. I'd be down with Little Things again, but I doubt they'll go that way either.

If they get a crack at a classic for the closing credits I'd love them to play something energetic from their early days: The Electric Co., Out of Control, Gloria, Two Hearts. Wishful thinking, I know, but we know they can still rock those. What they'll probably do is play Vertigo, either not caring or completely forgetting they already played it in 2004. Either way, I'll be watching.

They'll play Stuck In a Moment and One. Roll credits.

Yeah, sadly that's a good point about Trafalgar Square. Hadn't really considered that performance till you mentioned it. Still gotta watch the footage from that. I'll keep my fingers crossed cause I feel like they're gonna play a rocker, but we'll see.

Btw, love the Ian McCulloch quotes. Can't decide between him and Rollins as to the more astute critic of U2. Strangely both seemed pretty silent about the SOI release method....unless I missed something.

On the other hand, American Soul wasn't played at Trafalgar Square either and it's now being delivered to radio as a single, so it could be a good chance to be played at future appearances. Might mean SNL will be Best Thing, American Soul, and an oldie like Beautiful Day or Vertigo.

I sure hope McCulloch or Rollins had a hot take on SOI. My signature could use updating!

They did an interview with this mob relatively recently (last year or two?) and nothing came of it. Possible but don't count on it.

So U2 will be on Good Morning Football on Friday morning.

Wondering if they’re going to do anything else in nyc that day still.

I know that when I think of American football I think of U2...

... wait, no I don't!

That’s a great move! Now they can get visibility to all NFL football fans who watch NFL Network at 7am on a Friday....I would estimate a sales boost of at least 3 or 4 albums.

But seriously, I have to believe this is part of a broader tie in with the NFL for that weekend. Maybe all games will be rocking the new U2 songs and part of the deal was U2 show up on that show....I hope.

giphy.gif

They'll play Stuck In a Moment and One. Roll credits.

As to SNL, Eminem got assailed in press and social media for playing two oldies in his three song set, connoting to some that his new album likely sucked and he was afraid to play the new stuff. I doubt U2 would risk that. I'd go with TBT or GOOYOW first, then Blackout and Little Things to close. 3 totally different feels, one mellow number to end the set, and one rocker to show they can still use an amplifier. Please don't play American Soul. Please, please no. No no no no.

As to SNL, Eminem got assailed in press and social media for playing two oldies in his three song set, connoting to some that his new album likely sucked and he was afraid to play the new stuff. I doubt U2 would risk that. I'd go with TBT or GOOYOW first, then Blackout and Little Things to close. 3 totally different feels, one mellow number to end the set, and one rocker to show they can still use an amplifier. Please don't play American Soul. Please, please no. No no no no.

The conservative guess is GOOYOW and TBT. Chance they'll do GOOYOW straight into American Soul after seeing what Eminem did. Maybe also play Love is Bigger over the credits like how they played Ultraviolet over the credits last time.

It's U2, so they aren't beholden to the two Song convention. All depends on what they want to make of their appearance.

The conservative guess is GOOYOW and TBT. Chance they'll do GOOYOW straight into American Soul after seeing what Eminem did. Maybe also play Love is Bigger over the credits like how they played Ultraviolet over the credits last time.

It's U2, so they aren't beholden to the two Song convention. All depends on what they want to make of their appearance.

No, as you indicate I definitely see them more in the Prince/Jagger/Macca camp. Jagger got 3 songs, McCartney did an extended medley of old and new, Prince got about 11 minutes. How they divvy it up is their call but I would suspect that will be the continuation of what they get.

Thanks for sharing! So many smiles from Larry. He's finally on board!

Didn't believe you at first, but then I watched and I'll be damned, he is smiling a lot. We've come full circle from their first TV appearance back in '78:

r7pdGdn.png

The end truly is near.

Last edited:
Just a thought, that i'm not sure anyone else has put out there. But I'm thinking its possible Kendrick shows up on SNL and they do Get Out, into American Soul with him walking out and doing the transition...

and then a third song later in the show. TBT or an album cut.

Just a thought, that i'm not sure anyone else has put out there. But I'm thinking its possible Kendrick shows up on SNL and they do Get Out, into American Soul with him walking out and doing the transition...

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about Kendrick. That’s very possible.

This must be a struggle for them to decide what to play on SNL this weekend. You have Best Thing still trying to rise on the Hot AC chart, so I couldn’t blame them for playing that one. But then again, it may be about time to start promoting new singles. Meanwhile, you have so many other great songs on the album that it must be tempting for them to play.

Let’s not forget, on their last time on SNL they came out and played Breathe first, which was never released as a single. An odd choice. In other words, nothing would surprise me on Saturday.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about Kendrick. That’s very possible.

This must be a struggle for them to decide what to play on SNL this weekend. You have Best Thing still trying to rise on the Hot AC chart, so I couldn’t blame them for playing that one. But then again, it may be about time to start promoting new singles. Meanwhile, you have so many other great songs on the album that it must be tempting for them to play.

Let’s not forget, on their last time on SNL they came out and played Breathe first, which was never released as a single. An odd choice. In other words, nothing would surprise me on Saturday.

yeah but that was during 360, so they highlighted some of the songs they were playing during the tour: Breathe, Moment of Surrender and Ultra Violet.

different timing this time around.

I thought of this as well, and I absolutely think they'll play together at some point... but I think it'll be saved for the Grammys.

I just only hope that Bono joins Kendrick for XXX and Kendrick doesn't join U2 for American Soul.

As much as I don't love American Soul* ... it would be cool to see Kendrick with Bono doing XXX, then Kendrick doing the speech into American Soul.

I'd tune into that.

*It might be finally growing on me. As much as I don't like the lyrics or the chorus, that intro is friggin' killer.

A reminder that Bono is on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight for his special RED show. Should be fun.

Well, so far no mention of the new album or any new songs on Kimmel, but Bono did do a nice little performance of One More For the Road with Chris Martin.

Back
Top Bottom