SOE promo tour/promo activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have never played 3 full songs on air. Last time we got about 2 mins of Ultraviolet before it was cut off.

No, they got through I Will Follow in 2004. I remember because they played All Because Of You in the studio after that, and you could hear the first note as the telecast ended.

U2 used to be VIPs playing 3-4 songs. I recall the cast visibly standing along side the stage to watch them. They just don’t carry that kind of weight anymore.

That happened once, like the first time they ever played SNL during the ATYCLB years, and they played 3 songs. Since then they’ve been treated like any other musical guest.

GOOwhatever is too tight and too lean. It was fine, but this has become maybe my least favorite song on the album. At least AS has some room and some drama.

So this is the 2nd live performance of GOOYOW (EMA being first) where Bono drops the second "fight" in the chorus. What is that about? I know they change words in songs but changing the chorus(I'm a brand new song) is odd.

I really like this song but the "sermon" outro is awkward on the album as it seems out of place but it does flow into AS and that kind of works (would work better to put it all at the start of AS). However, live it is just out of place, especially without AS following and with Bono just picking up a mega phone.

This overall performance was a B. Nothing memorable.

If you want to know "memorable" U2:

2000 SNL- Elevation was performed with Bono extending the ending of the song and walking into the audience and EVERYONE was on their feet.

2004 SNL- I will Follow was performed as the cast were saying good night. The place went nuts when Luke Wilson said "how about one more"

GOOYOW was better than AS but man I wish b-man would drop the mega phone gimmick.I think they missed the opportunity of playing little things... Goodness that outro is absolutely beautiful, I get those U2 shivers when i hear that

U2 used to be VIPs playing 3-4 songs. I recall the cast visibly standing along side the stage to watch them. They just don’t carry that kind of weight anymore.
The most songs ever aired has been 3. Typically only 2 are broadcast.

I find it amazing that for the third album in a row, the songs played as promotion are the weaker songs on the album.

It won’t have legs because it doesn’t have a strong single to buoy it in the public consciousness. They’ve undermined themselves with the single choices so far and a clunky live performance of AS doesn’t help. The established fans will discover the deeper cuts but nobody else is being given a reason to look for them.

My hope is you are wrong and they are smart enough to let a few of those deeper cuts see the light of day...my gut says they will. But hey I'm still shocked Gone and Kite were never released!!!

wJw5qIn.png

A little satisfying while it lasts :applaud:

Look at all that terrible music. I wouldn't want to be in that company.

https://youtu.be/xQceLMdrZpk

https://youtu.be/efi4SCY0TA0

I really don't get the negativity about these performances. Just watched them on YouTube and I thought they were superb. The band especially Bono have there swagger back, body language says a lot. Sounded great. Get out of your own way was loads better then at the MTV awards and American soul was a superb tv performance.

Was they the two songs they should be singing, hell no but they delivered them with confidence and swagger. Really enjoyed it myself

The boys are back !!!!

Thanks for the links, really enjoyed watching those, a couple of really good, confident performances. Both those songs have really grown on me.

I haven't watched yet, but it does seem like a blown opportunity...

No, not the song selection (although I would have liked to wake up and hear that they played something more representative of the album)... but for shits sake, you'd think someone would have been able to throw together some sort of skit where they could make fun of themselves for the iTunes thing and turn some of those frowns upside down.

For reals... This isn't hard. I picture a Best buy or Verizon store where a customer comes in to buy these new iPhone and they get a free Bono. Come on people

I haven't watched yet, but it does seem like a blown opportunity...

No, not the song selection (although I would have liked to wake up and hear that they played something more representative of the album)... but for shits sake, you'd think someone would have been able to throw together some sort of skit where they could make fun of themselves for the iTunes thing and turn some of those frowns upside down.

For reals... This isn't hard. I picture a Best buy or Verizon store where a customer comes in to buy these new iPhone and they get a free Bono. Come on people

Larry probably wasn't on board. Or maybe it's #toosoon for those members of the cast who were victimized. But That would have been a funny skit.

Edges guitar on American Soul sounded great but in the eyes of the general public, they didn’t do themselves any favors with this performance. It plays into their annoying stereotype.

Back
Top Bottom