SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those bummed out about 'American Soul'.........look, War has 'Refugee' & 'Red Light' and that doesn't take away from the greatness of War.

Hard of for any band to have every song on an album be great. From the early reviews it seems the whole context of the SOE is a great listen. Which is pretty awesome for a band pushing 40 years. Can't wait till Dec 1st!!
The slightly annoying thing is they COULD have had every song being great - if only they replaced any duds with 'All My Life'. That song would have fit in perfectly on this record by all accounts. It's easily the best pop/rock song U2 have written since 1991.

Lest we forget...just listen to that outro starting around 2:20... :drool:

https://youtu.be/EO8arThAKfk

Last edited:
I had that same feeling. But going back to the song, I’ve actually come around a bit more to it. It was like a 4 for me. But it’s inching to 6 territory. I did make a version without the refujesus part and it helps :). Lemme know if u want it.

I do think these songs may work better as a group and they do seem to be growers. American Soul will never be a favorite of mine. But it may be one that I visit once in a while. Probably strong live.

Just think, you like 4 out of 5 songs you’ve heard!!
That’s 80%!! That’s a high percentage for any album.

Yeah, and to be fair, for me there is only one U2 album (AB) that doesn't have any clunkers. Nobody hits it at 100% all of the time. There are always at least one or two songs, even on JT or TUF that I have absolutely no desire to listen to ever again.

The slightly annoying thing is they COULD have had every song being great - if only they replaced any duds with 'All My Life'. That song would have fit in perfectly on this record by all accounts. It's easily the best pop/rock song U2 have written since 1991.

'All My Life' is my personal 'Mercy'....I hope one day they release it, but to be totally honest I can't see it fitting on any of their most recent albums. It is probably like HMTMKMKM...probably best released on a sound track or as part of a single.

'All My Life' is my personal 'Mercy'....I hope one day they release it, but to be totally honest I can't see it fitting on any of their most recent albums. It is probably like HMTMKMKM...probably best released on a sound track or as part of a single.
I don't know about it not fitting SOE though. I mean, it would definitely fit on ATYCLB, as would Get Out of Your Own Way or Best Thing or even Little Things. So if all these songs (including All My Life) would fit on ATYCLB together, why not all together now?

Why? It's much less contrived than 'Beautiful Day' and ''Vertigo' to my ears. Name another uplifting, joyous, U2 pop-rock song that is better than 'All My Life' from the past 35 years...

You're basing this opinion on a beach clip of a song that you don't even know the real title to.

That's crazy.

At least Mercy was a studio recording.

20 years ago they released Pop, which was even more inconsistent than ATYCLB.

No one else has jumped on this bullshit yet?

ATYCLB is consistently unambitious and safe. That's about it. It certainly doesn't dazzle and surprise in the way that Pop does, on nearly every single track. It's teeming with life and energy whereas ATYCLB barely maintains a pulse.

No one else has jumped on this bullshit yet?

ATYCLB is consistently unambitious and safe. That's about it. It certainly doesn't dazzle and surprise in the way that Pop does, on nearly every single track. It's teeming with life and energy whereas ATYCLB barely maintains a pulse.
When did I ever talk about which album is more interesting or teeming with life? I simply said Pop was more inconsistent than ATYCLB. Now regardless as to which album you prefer (that's a different debate for a different day), one can certainly not fault me for holding that opinion about its consistency.

You're basing this opinion on a beach clip of a song that you don't even know the real title to.

That's crazy.

At least Mercy was a studio recording.
Why is that crazy? I can certainly make out enough of the song to decide for myself, thank you very much. Have you truly listened to this latest video of the song (the longer and crispier version)? Maybe you're not trying hard enough.

Why is that crazy? I can certainly make out enough of the song to decide for myself, thank you very much. Have you truly listened to this latest video of the song (the longer and crispier version)? Maybe you're not trying hard enough.
Yea that's what it is.

At least you're not pretending to be an insider anymore.

Yea that's what it is.

At least you're not pretending to be an insider anymore.
So this is the reason for your negative remarks? Now I see. Well, if you are referring to the "new album predictions" thread about 17 years ago (or was it 13?), I think the title of the thread pretty much makes it obvious I wasn't an insider. It was a PREDICTIONS thread. It was a fun thread for the purpose of just that - fun. I think most people understood that.

Last edited:
So this is the reason for your negative remarks? Now I see. Well, if you are referring to the "new album predictions" thread about 17 years ago (or was it 13?), I think the title of the thread pretty much makes it obvious I wasn't an insider. It was a PREDICTIONS thread. It was a fun thread for the purpose of just that - fun. I think most people understood that.

The negative remarks are because you said a song you've never actually heard, outside of crap quality recording, is the best pop rock song they've made in 30 years, which is a ridiculous statement.

As for the other part... yea. Nah.

The negative remarks are because you said a song you've never actually heard, outside of crap quality recording, is the best pop rock song they've made in 30 years, which is a ridiculous statement.

As for the other part... yea. Nah.
What you mean to say is in your opinion it's a ridiculous statement that All My Life is their best joyous pop-rock song in 30 years. In my opinion, your opinion is moot in this case.

What you mean to say is in your opinion it's a ridiculous statement that All My Life is their best joyous pop-rock song in 30 years. In my opinion, your opinion is moot in this case.
Sure.

It is my opinion that claiming an unreleased song that can only be heard via crappy recording is their best pop song in 30 years is fucking stupid.

Why? It's much less contrived than 'Beautiful Day' and ''Vertigo' to my ears. Name another uplifting, joyous, U2 pop-rock song that is better than 'All My Life' from the past 35 years...

All My Life just makes me think...well Phil Collins!! Never really dug the beach clips of that one.

It's a really good chorus but not much of a song there

Did this make it to the forums yet?

The album can't come fast enough...

Wow....the way Bono described The Little Things that Give You Away gave me a great new appreciation for the song. How Innocence is talking to Experience (the reviewer even noted it's Paul talking to Bono) and then Bono saying how the song starts as a conversation and then builds with "experience/Bono" having that realization that they are scared and do fear for things. It made me think of the lyrics from the live shows and it gave me chills. I am now really excited for the album version and to listen to this with the new perspective. I mean I can't speak for everyone but this subject matter really hits home. Very cool!!!

I also loved how Edge said he is proud of the songs on this album and really feels they are great. Yes, he said that about SOI (which I liked a lot) and what else is he going to say but it still adds to my excitement for 12/1!

Back
Top Bottom