SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

110926nerds_steveurkel1.jpg

Yeah, U2 is more of a personal listening experience when I listen to them now anyway. I get that a lot of people outside of my fan bubble really dislike them for whatever reason. But I have some guitar tech nerdy associates that like Edge for his gear and sound. I’m excited for the new album still, and the new songs are growing on me. The best U2 songs have always been growers anyway. I’ve been a fan since 92 so a lot of U2 classics I like now didn’t really start out that way for me.

If I cared what my friends thought of U2, I would have stopped listening to them a long time ago.

U2 is a very easy band to hate, or mock, as is Bono.

but nearly everybody loves their big songs. people who say they don't are fucking liars.

U2 is a very easy band to hate, or mock, as is Bono.

but nearly everybody loves their big songs. people who say they don't are fucking liars.

The main thing I hear in my circle of friends or people I've just met is I like their music but Bono is a complete C##T

I wonder if the O’Connor writer at the Independent has written other articles about U2 and what his stance has been. It would be nice to put some context to his praise about the new album. He might be close to the band like Fanning or Flanagan. Although I respect the opinion of the latter two, it’s no surprise they think highly of the album too. I guess Fanning tends to be more critical and less of a fan boy type. He didn’t seem to like The Best Thing all that much.

Gotta say it's kind of cool that some journalists are so eager to review SOE, that they are sort of doing a pre-review while they are still under gag order.

I was kind of surprised that the one review gave the last verse of the album and it was the last verse of SFS. We had heard from the Twitter reviewer that SFS chorus was reused, but it looks like some verse parts as well.

I'm not a big fan of SFS, but it is a really strange song for me. I actually got (and still do sometimes) get chills or a little tear in my eye with the last verse - I'm a long way, from where I was, where I need to be...

But the chorus I don't love, and the solo is pretty bland. Hoping this more melancholy version, with different verses will put the song in a whole new light for me.

Gotta say it's kind of cool that some journalists are so eager to review SOE, that they are sort of doing a pre-review while they are still under gag order.

I was kind of surprised that the one review gave the last verse of the album and it was the last verse of SFS. We had heard from the Twitter reviewer that SFS chorus was reused, but it looks like some verse parts as well.

I'm not a big fan of SFS, but it is a really strange song for me. I actually got (and still do sometimes) get chills or a little tear in my eye with the last verse - I'm a long way, from where I was, where I need to be...

But the chorus I don't love, and the solo is pretty bland. Hoping this more melancholy version, with different verses will put the song in a whole new light for me.
Yes in all seriousness, I am both concerned and intrigued by the descriptions of this song. SFS never really did anything for me but l am also hoping this new arrangement gives this song a new meaning/life.

Yes in all seriousness, I am both concerned and intrigued by the descriptions of this song. SFS never really did anything for me but l am also hoping this new arrangement gives this song a new meaning/life.

Would be cool to put in place of SFS in my inevitable Innocence and Experience compilation album.
So far I know it will contain EBW, The Troubles, Crystal Ballroom, SLABT, RBW, and The Blackout. So the next 7 to 10 spots are up for grabs. :)

I’m happy with Brendan O’Connor’s excitement for the album in his article but I always take the “this is the best work they’ve done in 20 years” comments with a huge grain of salt. It seems to be the standard new U2 album hype talk since no line.

Last edited:
I’m happy with Brendan O’Connor’s excitement for the album in his article but I always take the “this is the best work they’ve done in 20 years” comments with a huge grain of salt. It seems to be the standard new U2 album hype talk since no line.

I get your point, and definitely try to temper my excitement when reading glowing reviews
But, it also doesn't mean it isn't true... I gotta say, SOI was far and away my favorite since POP. And I know I'm not alone in that sentiment around Interference.
I'm skeptical that this album will reach that same level for me. But thinking logically, just having an album with consistently strong songs, is for many, going to put it above the 2000-2009 albums. And for some, stronger than POP, since POP was a love/hate type of album.

Not to keep bragging about hearing this thing but at least from my point of view, as a fan, this is a very strong album, but no, it's not "the best work they've done in 20 years."

As an album you could possibly argue it's the most cohesive thing they've made in 20 years. But for example for me, No Line was a terribly constructed album but Moment of Surrender was a 10 out of 10 song.

As an album, the first 10, maybe 11 songs on Experience are great. It doesn't get boring and stays interesting. There's no 'Grace' on this album, much as I didn't like Landlady.

Not to keep bragging about hearing this thing but at least from my point of view, as a fan, this is a very strong album, but no, it's not "the best work they've done in 20 years."

As an album you could possibly argue it's the most cohesive thing they've made in 20 years. But for example for me, No Line was a terribly constructed album but Moment of Surrender was a 10 out of 10 song.

As an album, the first 10, maybe 11 songs on Experience are great. It doesn't get boring and stays interesting. There's no 'Grace' on this album, much as I didn't like Landlady.

I’ve been meaning to ask you a few questions

1) Does Red Flag Day actually sound like a modern War album song?

2) Do any of the songs have that Kite/Sometimes You Can’t...feel where Bono sings with that passion that I think was missed on SOI?

3) Can you compare summer of Love to any U2 song from the past in any way?

Glad you enjoyed the album!

Good to hear from you again. I was one that loved SOI, and thought it was the most consistent since POP. Would you say that SOE is more consistent than SOI?? I found myself skipping Miracle, SFS and sometimes Reach. But the rest i liked well enough to listen all the time. Also added TCB in there cause it's just an amazing song.

Here it seems like you might like them all except Landlady, Love is Bigger, and possibly 13??? Is that accurate?

Also, do you remember the style of Landlady? Rocker? ballad? atmospheric? darker low-key like SLABT?? Pop?

And if not the best in 20 years, how would you rank it out of the post-2000's U2 albums. Yes, i know that's not really fair having heard it once.

Thanks again.

I’ve been meaning to ask you a few questions

1) Does Red Flag Day actually sound like a modern War album song?

2) Do any of the songs have that Kite/Sometimes You Can’t...feel where Bono sings with that passion that I think was missed on SOI?

3) Can you compare summer of Love to any U2 song from the past in any way?

Glad you enjoyed the album!

great questions!

Could you provide us with something that we haven't heard yet re: the album?

Back
Top Bottom