SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plus no American has any right to moan about post 2000 u2. It's all your faults that u2 went in this direction.

If you had all of taken to pop and actually brought the record and attend the popmart tour instead of leaving stadiums half empty we would never of had this u2 sound. :) :)

Technically though I was into u2 before I was born. My mother was a big fan in 86 and she says u2 boy/October/war were regularly played when I was in her stomach. So the roots were planted then :)

I hope you weren't actually in her stomach. It isn't supposed to work that way :D

Cool insight though, I love reading true fans' differing perspectives. It really does feel like a bit of a privilege!

I got hooked as a wee fella, 8 years old, hearing the Joshua Tree on the radio constantly, loving the tone of the guitar. That was it for me. I didn't play the guitar at the time but that tone - I loved it. And I vaguely knew a few songs from War and Unforgettable Fire from the radio, and loved them too.

When Rattle and Hum came out it just carried that tone on. In 1989, for a spell, All I Want is You seemed to be everywhere. My dad took me to a theme park (I use the word loosely - google Footrot Flats Amusement Park if you non-kiwis want to know the shit we have to put up with) in the spring/summer of 89. I was 10. It was just me and him. All I Want is You played on the car radio on the way there, about 4 times while at the park, and again in the car coming home. It was the best song I'd ever heard.

U2 came to Auckland that years but despite much pleading and many tears, my parents wouldn't let a 10-year-old go to a massive heaving rock concert. Fucking bastards.

That Christmas I got the back catalogue on tape. I sat there on the living room floor Christmas morning listening to Boy, then October, before getting kicked out and told to take the music elsewhere.

But I was enthralled. I was hearing those albums for the first time and the hook (for me) was still there. Space, tone, melody, uniqueness, a sort of heart on the sleeve feel.

Pop I now respect, but at the time I was disappointed. It didn't seem like my band. All the albums subsequent (with the exception of No Line, which, for a time, I thought was a classic hampered only by a repulsive middle three) have failed to hit me with the sense of inventiveness, individuality, sparseness and integrity I grew up admiring.

To each their own! I'm still a fan and still amped for the new songs.

I hope you weren't actually in her stomach. It isn't supposed to work that way :D

Cool insight though, I love reading true fans' differing perspectives. It really does feel like a bit of a privilege!

I got hooked as a wee fella, 8 years old, hearing the Joshua Tree on the radio constantly, loving the tone of the guitar. That was it for me. I didn't play the guitar at the time but that tone - I loved it. And I vaguely knew a few songs from War and Unforgettable Fire from the radio, and loved them too.

When Rattle and Hum came out it just carried that tone on. In 1989, for a spell, All I Want is You seemed to be everywhere. My dad took me to a theme park (I use the word loosely - google Footrot Flats Amusement Park if you non-kiwis want to know the shit we have to put up with) in the spring/summer of 89. I was 10. It was just me and him. All I Want is You played on the car radio on the way there, about 4 times while at the park, and again in the car coming home. It was the best song I'd ever heard.

U2 came to Auckland that years but despite much pleading and many tears, my parents wouldn't let a 10-year-old go to a massive heaving rock concert. Fucking bastards.

That Christmas I got the back catalogue on tape. I sat there on the living room floor Christmas morning listening to Boy, then October, before getting kicked out and told to take the music elsewhere.

But I was enthralled. I was hearing those albums for the first time and the hook (for me) was still there. Space, tone, melody, uniqueness, a sort of heart on the sleeve feel.

Pop I now respect, but at the time I was disappointed. It didn't seem like my band. All the albums subsequent (with the exception of No Line, which, for a time, I thought was a classic hampered only by a repulsive middle three) have failed to hit me with the sense of inventiveness, individuality, sparseness and integrity I grew up admiring.

To each their own! I'm still a fan and still amped for the new songs.

Great post, I get the stomach bit :) :)

[emoji23][emoji23] bit harsh on the parents there!

Mine were the same but I was 14 and the band was limp bizkit :) shouldn't admit that should I :) limp bizkit :) they wouldn't let me go to the Milton Keynes bowl. Looking back I don't blame them

My u2 introduction came via my brother in the early 90's when he kept blasting u2's AB and Zooropa in his ghetto but very souped up station wagon lol. You could hear that stereo 2 blacks away. He had posters of u2 in his room and wouldn't shut up about u2 lol. I was 11 when AB came out and must of heard it a ton of times not by choice hahaha. But I really got into u2 during pop really which was my first official album of u2 I bought the day it came out. And popmart was the first u2 concert I went to at 18 years old with my brother who was still a rather diehard fan. Interestingly my bro stopped liking u2 when ATYCLB came and I became that obnoxious diehard fan lol. I don't think my bro cares for u2 anymore but he is a lot older now and with lots of work and a kid so I doubt he has much time for such things as u2 anyway.

Last edited:
I came across U2 when I was a year old in ‘86. My mom noticed that I seemed to like their part in her amnesty international concert tape. She would put it on to keep me busy for when she needed to take a shower. Been hooked ever since.

I came across U2 when I was a year old in ‘86. My mom noticed that I seemed to like their part in her amnesty international concert tape. She would put it on to keep me busy for when she needed to take a shower. Been hooked ever since.

As a mom of little ones, I love this. My 3-year old twins always ask for U2 in the car- my son wants One, my daughter asks for One Tree Hill (she calls it “sun in your eyes song”) and Stuck in a Moment. They’ve both started asking for “Get Out Your Way.”
I feel like I’ve set them on a good path.

My opinion on post 2000 U2 seems to be unique because I regard ATYCLB and HTDAAB as very strong albums, while I didn't much rate NLOTH and SOI.

Last edited:
Don’t bother, this is a poster who has recently made the following statements:

Described “You’re the Best Thing About Me” as “Utter Garbage”

Described the Chorus of “Get out of your Own Way” as the “sound of a Dog blowing itself”

After hearing a 40 second clip of a recording of the GOOYOW video, the live performance of Blackout in Facebook and TBT stated that “SOE will easily be the worst or second worst record U2 makes” (mind you there are 13 songs on the album and at the time they heard 1 studio recording)

I’m all for differing opinions but the pure ridiculousness and hate towards U2s current output makes it clear no matter what is on SOE or how they play it live...they have already made up their minds.

:up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

I posted a few days back about how u2 are now unable to be objective about their own music and they genuinely seem to think that their current work stands up against their best stuff. Well, here's a case in point. Edge reckons SOI is as good as JT in this video. The enemy of great is very good as Bono continues to say. Looks like u2 are not able to distinguish between the two anymore.

Think he says "bye now" at the end.

First of all; are you serious?!

Secondly, this is hilarious coming from an Oasis fanboy.

Each post 2000 albums has its gems mixed in with some duds. I go into each album expecting a bit of both and I really enjoy the gems they have to offer.
I would say it's been that way since Pop. U2's songwriting became more structured in 1997. They seemed to be less free flowing artists allowing songs to find them, and more like mechanics or engineers - building songs, piece by piece. That usually happens when you start to understand how things are put together, and you rely less on "God walking into the room".

U2 songs have almost always been traditionally structured, and that's not a knock. The structure works. I think that what's changed in what they do with the structure: their arrangements used to develop more, i.e. Edge playing different parts each verse and adding things to the song. Since 2000 they've been more stagnant. The songs on Pop are traditionally structured, but there's a lot going on there. SOI, not so much.

I feel the need to say again how much I like SOI, and I listened to the first and last four on NLOTH and liked it a lot. Those arrangements are pretty good.

I'm very interested in the reviews when they are finally released. It will be nice to get reviews that are about the songs vs the release method.

Don’t bother, this is a poster who has recently made the following statements:

Described “You’re the Best Thing About Me” as “Utter Garbage”

Described the Chorus of “Get out of your Own Way” as the “sound of a Dog blowing itself”

After hearing a 40 second clip of a recording of the GOOYOW video, the live performance of Blackout in Facebook and TBT stated that “SOE will easily be the worst or second worst record U2 makes” (mind you there are 13 songs on the album and at the time they heard 1 studio recording)

I’m all for differing opinions but the pure ridiculousness and hate towards U2s current output makes it clear no matter what is on SOE or how they play it live...they have already made up their minds.

I've noticed their consistent negativity about everything new that U2 does. If I hated a band's new material so much, I would start to wonder if maybe I really just don't like them anymore.

I've noticed their consistent negativity about everything new that U2 does. If I hated a band's new material so much, I would start to wonder if maybe I really just don't like them anymore.

I also hate the defence of being able to be critical on a fan site - yes, you can.

But if your MO for the last 8 years has been to shit on everything they do, take it somewhere else.

I find these posts more annoying than the negativity, though even I am a little bored of some of the seemingly pre-determined derision. And I love to indulge in a bit of hyperbole, but some of the stuff about GOOYOW being the worst U2 song ever is over the top even by my standards.

I don't think anyone is saying to never be critical on a fan site.. I think it's just an observation that a lot of people have had- if certain users so hate what u2 has become,(and for some, it's not just the new album, we're talking people who claim u2 has been shit since the 90's or since ATYCLB or pick a date)what is the point of coming and repeatedly spewing the same negative message over and over like a broken record? It's like we get it, you don't like (fill in the blank), we heard you the first 50 times you said it. It's not going to change minds so what is their purpose in doing so?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom