SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So The Blackout was confirmed as the video they were shooting in that hall with the fans, beer on site and it was confirmed that the best thing wasn't even played there correct? They played light from home after they were done or whatever it's called? Best thing was implied as a video being shot from the sign at the concert and the lyrics on the chicks back? Now with the blackout letter I would think that's going to be the first single contrary to what others have reported. Just seems to be more "official" activity around it.

I actually had forgotten about that. For some reason i thought TBT was played as well, but I must have just misremembered.
So yeah, The Blackout definitely looks like a lock for first single.
Strange that the reports that came after that video shoot, still kept saying TBT would be the first single.

I like the mystery.

well they did shoot a video for Best Thing too, so it's easy to be confused.

maybe we're getting more than 1-2 songs before the album drops

well they did shoot a video for Best Thing too, so it's easy to be confused.

maybe we're getting more than 1-2 songs before the album drops

Do you know where/when it was shot or with who? All I remember is the notification that a video was being shot during a concert and a woman had best thing lyrics on the back of her shirt on stage. Was there further clarification from other fans/listeners/witnesses that I missed that it was indeed done?

Well, i don't blame them for wanting the first two singles in the can now, so they don't have to worry about that part while they wrap up the JT tour and then start in on promo stuff for the new album.

So i wonder how many of these letters got sent out. Only seen about 4 or 5 posted on social media. Interestingly that's all it takes, since every major music news site picked up the story.
Just wonder if it was a dozen? or a hundred? or a thousand...?
Will be interesting to see if Europe receives any soon

I was skeptical of the letters when I first read about them. Looked too fan made. That being said I got one in the mail today so I guess it's real. I'm in Georgia if anyone is wondering.

Do you know where/when it was shot or with who? All I remember is the notification that a video was being shot during a concert and a woman had best thing lyrics on the back of her shirt on stage. Was there further clarification from other fans/listeners/witnesses that I missed that it was indeed done?

It was around Amsterdam shows...

U2songs have hinted that up to four video projects were worked on this summer
u2songs | Songs of Experience Update |

So do they play the new single when the tour resumes? Would they play it as the last song?

Ok, so Valencia is jumping in the mix.

I can't post the FB post right now from my phone, but it says "Pretty soon the lights will turn out"

Then under that
Everything you know is wrong..... ?.... ?

Hmmmmm

Yeah, I tend to agree. The Everything you know is wrong thing is a little weird. But the Blackout part is nothing special.

Valencia lost all credibility over recent years to me.

If they're right now... congrats, they can add 2+2 given yesterday's letter.

So do they play the new single when the tour resumes? Would they play it as the last song?

I would think they would play it, but only after the 8th once its hit the general public.
Last song or not is a tough one. Would love it if they played it as the first song of the encore.

Bono -- "This is a new song that we want to play for you all....hope you like it.....UNO DOS TRES...."

What if the Blackout isn't the first single, but just a song that U2 gives us prior to the tour starting up? Then 'Best Thing' is the proper release?

Miley Cyrus has 3 singles out with her album due at the end of September. First single came out way back in May. Certainly possible we get 3 from U2 before dec.

Last edited:
Yep. Lol. Just remember elevation tour when they started with the lights up and then dropped them halfway through the song and crowd goes nuts. Could be cool to do something like that again. And yeah, very simple

Miley Cyrus has 3 singles out with her album due at the end of September. First single came out way back in May. Certainly possible we get 3 from U2 before dec.

I didn't know that, but the one cool thing that streaming has done is open that sort of thing up like it wasn't before. It'll be interesting

Well, The War on Drugs have released 5 songs ahead of their release this week. So the idea of releasing new songs ahead of the proper album release has changed thanks to streaming.

"Willie, turn the lights out... but no, everyone, put your phones away... we want actual darkness this time."

What if the Blackout isn't the first single, but just a song that U2 gives us prior to the tour starting up? Then 'Best Thing' is the proper release?

The simultaneous video shoots for different songs, and reported indecision about a lead single makes me think we could indeed see more than one song released within a few days of the album announcement.

A lot of artists already do it that way, it keeps publicity up, and they can have their cake and eat it too by releasing a song that 'makes a statement' without being diluted into a commercial form, and then releasing a more radio-friendly track.

Can't decide between Moment of Surrender or Get on Your Boots? The Troubles or the Miracle? Why not both?

Sure it may not happen, but I could certainly see the Blackout being released with the announcement of SoE, with the 'proper' single of The Best Thing following a few days/ a week later.

The simultaneous video shoots for different songs, and reported indecision about a lead single makes me think we could indeed see more than one song released within a few days of the album announcement.

A lot of artists already do it that way, it keeps publicity up, and they can have their cake and eat it too by releasing a song that 'makes a statement' without being diluted into a commercial form, and then releasing a more radio-friendly track.

Can't decide between Moment of Surrender or Get on Your Boots? The Troubles or the Miracle? Why not both?

Sure it may not happen, but I could certainly see the Blackout being released with the announcement of SoE, with the 'proper' single of The Best Thing following a few days/ a week later.

Good point.
And a band like U2 could cover more radio ground with 2. TBT gonna be more adult contemp, Blackout more adult alt., alt. Rock stations.
And double the streaming and downloading

Good point.
And a band like U2 could cover more radio ground with 2. TBT gonna be more adult contemp, Blackout more adult alt., alt. Rock stations.
And double the streaming and downloading

Yeah, exactly. Why limit themselves to one particular audience/direction/area when they can offer multiple tracks at the same time?

It doesn't even negate having that one 'big' single. The initial track can just be the announcement, and raise some eyebrows about the bands new sound (imagine if the very first thing people heard after Vertigo was Moment of Surrender). And then once they have the spotlight, and have turned a few heads, they can hit us with the big late summer single.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom