SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After a bit of googling, the text looks to be a para-phrasing of this:

"Blake published Songs of Innocence and of Experience: Shewing the Two Contrary States of the Human Soul in 1794, and this collection of forty-six poems has a unique position in English literature. Some of them—The Tyger, for example—are among the best-known poems in the English language.

The book combines two sets of poems: Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience. These two sets of poems have generated much critical discussion as to how Blake intended them to be understood. But there is general agreement that the two sets of poems are related by the principle of contrast; a contrast between the state of Innocence—to be understood as childhood, idealism, hope—and that of Experience—to be understood as adulthood, disillusionment, social criticism, and despair.

The poems were also meant to be interpreted on another level; that of the world before and after the Fall of Man, and of the struggle within the soul itself. Blake came to see these two states as "contraries in the human soul!". At first, Innocence is the world of the Lamb, the world of the true God of Love and Understanding, or Jesus, while Experience is the work of the false God, or the great negative influence. But if we can see this, then Experience can also be a means of achieving true insight.

Blake does not tell the reader how these poems should be read, nor is he trying to say that one state is better than the other, but rather leaves it up to the readers to draw their own conclusions"

http://www.skoletorget.no/abb/eng/blake/life.html

After a bit of googling, the text looks to be a para-phrasing of this:

"Blake published Songs of Innocence and of Experience: Shewing the Two Contrary States of the Human Soul in 1794, and this collection of forty-six poems has a unique position in English literature. Some of them—The Tyger, for example—are among the best-known poems in the English language.

The book combines two sets of poems: Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience. These two sets of poems have generated much critical discussion as to how Blake intended them to be understood. But there is general agreement that the two sets of poems are related by the principle of contrast; a contrast between the state of Innocence—to be understood as childhood, idealism, hope—and that of Experience—to be understood as adulthood, disillusionment, social criticism, and despair.

The poems were also meant to be interpreted on another level; that of the world before and after the Fall of Man, and of the struggle within the soul itself. Blake came to see these two states as "contraries in the human soul!". At first, Innocence is the world of the Lamb, the world of the true God of Love and Understanding, or Jesus, while Experience is the work of the false God, or the great negative influence. But if we can see this, then Experience can also be a means of achieving true insight.

Blake does not tell the reader how these poems should be read, nor is he trying to say that one state is better than the other, but rather leaves it up to the readers to draw their own conclusions"

Skoletorget/The Life and Works of William Blake

Here is the full text of the page about Blake:

Blake published Songs of Innocence and of Experience: Shewing the Two Contrary States of the Human Soul in 1794, and this collection of forty-six poems has a unique position in English literature. Some of them—The Tyger, for example—are among the best-known poems in the English language.

Blake does not tell the reader how these poems should be read, nor is he trying to say that one state is better than the other, but rather leaves it up to the readers to draw their own conclusions.

Source: Skoletorget/The Chimney Sweeper

haha I was about to come post the same thing.. INTERFERENCE IS ON THIS SHIT, FOLKS

The bottom bit appears to say U2 will announce their new album Songs of Experiene on xx/xx/xx - the middle xx (the month for every country other than America) looks like it begins with a 0

Proximity to the warehouse they were sent from? I can't imagine that u2 would only announce their new album to Americans, and I also can't imagine that they would not use the conventions of their own country or the majority of their fan base.

Proximity to the warehouse they were sent from? I can't imagine that u2 would only announce their new album to Americans, and I also can't imagine that they would not use the conventions of their own country or the majority of their fan base.

They would use the U.S. format in mailers to the U.S., though, so if we're seeing American images thus far, that date is the day, not the month.

Well... hear me out in this.

Did U2 just miss a big publicity opportunity?

I think that we can all agree that the days of U2 having a popular radio "hit" is behind them, unless one might say... an act of God.
Well what did we just have? Yes, an act of science, but a HUGE national event that captures the United States collective awe and attention.

Imagine if U2 would have planned a concert in a cool location along the direct path of the Eclipse. Somewhere in Oregon, Illinois (probably the best choice), South Carolina...

The once in a lifetime show would be called what else??
The Blackout!

it would be a free show, obviously a huge open air area, free safety glasses given out, refreshment areas, Blackout merchandise, etc...
it would be a full concert of hits including SATS of course, and right as the elclipse reached the moment of totality, boom - they break into their new single, The Blackout.
Huge media hype, days of radio promos leading up to the show, national media coverage of the event, huge radio play and streaming and YouTube views following.

Why am I not on this bands payroll by now??
Because you would have been one of the people nodding their heads when the suggestion to push the album to everyone's iTunes library was discussed?

Word is, Chris Evans had one hand delivered to him this afternoon.

Nah, he got the full version:

R-1818471-1433428888-5960.jpeg.jpg

Two random thoughts:

1) The mailer seems to confirm that "Blackout" is written as one word, not two. There was some curiosity about that.

2) Supposedly, the chorus of the song includes the phrase "When the lights go out." Could it be "When the lights go out, it's clear who you are will appear"?

I tried to find and match the font used on the letter, and it seems that the bottom text says: "U2 will announce their new album Songs Of Experience on 09/08/17". This is very close to guesswork, though.

The bottom bit appears to say U2 will announce their new album Songs of Experiene on xx/xx/xx - the middle xx (the month for every country other than America) looks like it begins with a 0
Yea... but it says announce, not release.

So if you're assuming the single in September is also when the album announce date is, which is a pretty good assumption, that would be 09

Interesting why they wouldn't put the date they're going to announce the album on. Like what's the point of this mailer if there's no date to look forward to?

just to be safe, because it might still get delayed? :D

Interesting why they wouldn't put the date they're going to announce the album on. Like what's the point of this mailer if there's no date to look forward to?

To milk this as much as possible. I like the strategy. The one part of it that's a little silly is that we know the next album will be called Songs of Experience. Blacking out those words doesn't do much.

they should play the lead single from their new album for the very first time at the exact moment when absolutely everyone will have their attention focused 100% on something else entirely. now there's a winning idea.

Wow. Ummmm. Cause people can't see and hear at the same time? That's why concerts have no visuals I guess. :huh:

ZooTV was the worst tour of all time because with all the visuals happening, I ended up not hearing any of the songs. It was terrible.

Wow. Ummmm. Cause people can't see and hear at the same time? That's why concerts have no visuals I guess. :huh:

ZooTV was the worst tour of all time because with all the visuals happening, I ended up not hearing any of the songs. It was terrible.

the eclipse is going to be happening on stage 30 feet behind the band?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom