SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know Boots was so much hated by the U2 community. I don't think it deserves to be that hated. I mean, it's not a bad song at all. The guitar riff is quite catchy and the "Let Me In The Sound" part is great, and quite refreshing.

I've listened back to NLOTH a few days ago, and while i didn't like it that much when it came out, I find it great now. There are great songs there and i think U2 was still inventive in their writing at that time.

I was disappointed by SOI, as IMO, the songs seemed more generic and overproduced.

I hope SOE will bring some fresh ideas, and not something we've already seen a thousand times.

The band managed to surprise us throughout the years, while still being creative and relevant. That's why I have always loved U2. I hope this creativity will be back with SOE.

Last edited:
Boots was just a silly song to lead with.

If they had replaced the 't' with a 'b', they would have had a chart topper.

Novel opinion here: I actually really like Boots, and think that the lyrics are pretty neat, even if some lines come across as a little, ahh, quirky.

However, it should never ever ever ever have been released as any form of single.

The remixes for Boots are way better than the original. They should take all of those mixes and smash them together.

2710224-puss_in_boots_pic01.jpg

Boots is ok. The fact that it launched their first album in 4.5 years is what did it in. Had it just been an album track it wouldn't get slammed here nearly as much.

Overall, Boots is not their best effort. I do believe that the guitar riff is really cool though.

Regarding the new album, wasn't "Tightrope" rumored to be on SoI? If I recall correctly, U2 Valencia was hyping that title prior to release...Perhaps even Madonna was tweeting about it...Or did i dream that part?

I've played it for casual U2 fans to see what they think. They all thought it was awful. My wife couldn't figure out how the same band who wrote "One" could write that piece of garbage. Musically it's fine, aside from that weak ass "guitar solo". It's the lyrics that ruin it. The concept is stupid and poorly portrayed, the Vertigo-style rapid fire lyrics sound forced and his voice has no authority or strength behind it during that part. The chorus is okay, but has no hook. The LET ME IN THE SOUND bridge is cool, but wasted on this stupid song.

However, that will probably be U2's last top 40 song in the US (that they achieved on their own).

Last edited:
Thank goodness that in two weeks we won't have to talk about Boots anymore.

We'll be bitching about THE BEST THING instead, lol.

No, I'm usually a pretty easy fan to please, with all the bands I'm a fan of. Boots is a real head scratcher for me, though.

I wonder if Bono saw "Kinky Boots" on Broadway and was subsequently inspired to write music for a Broadway musical of his own, as well as to write "Get On Your Boots".

I'm a little late to this party but apparently after the Kygo version leaked, a few people created guitar-based covers of The Best Thing and posted the results on YouTube. Has anyone else checked them out? They've got me pretty excited for the song. I think it could be a mild hit.

I'm a little late to this party but apparently after the Kygo version leaked, a few people created guitar-based covers of The Best Thing and posted the results on YouTube. Has anyone else checked them out? They've got me pretty excited for the song. I think it could be a mild hit.

Yes I have. It's light and bouncy. I think it would have done better in the summer months (in the U.S.).

I hope that it's not another Wild Honey or A Man and a Woman...Not bad songs, but U2 are capable of much better.

It would be a smart move to start playing it at the start of the leg, but if the Sept 8th rumor is true than they may wait until after that....or they may drop the single on itunes a week earlier before the 1st show and the song hit radio on the 8th...

Prior to Kygo's mix there was a beach clip of what was presumably was the album version. Those clips are probably more based on that.

Yes I have. It's light and bouncy. I think it would have done better in the summer months (in the U.S.).

I hope that it's not another Wild Honey or A Man and a Woman...Not bad songs, but U2 are capable of much better.

you mean much more better :hyper:

Are we in a 'stagnate' period where there will be little to NO information on SOE...:hmm:

Should start getting info on 9/3...right RD???

I dunno! Maybe nothing til the 8th?

Not long.

In the meantime.. new War on Drugs record this week... might as well get lost in a new dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom