SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sure, this band wasn't lazy in the past, but when they spend more time on vacation than they do in the studio for years, either they don't have to work ethic to start and finish a product in an efficient amount of time, or they don't care to put in the work ethic. this was a gift wrapped marketing opportunity for anything and it seems like they didn't even bother. it's not like there's no precedent for them playing new songs live, they've done performances where they do a song they've never played before ("American Prayer" and that one for the "46664" concert were both within the last decade or so, and of course glastonbury).

great, so they played an awesome version of desire. so bono's voice turned to shit and he fucked up the lyrics. who cares. both things have happened many times before.

my point is, outside of this forum, nobody gives a fuck about any of that. nobody other than us is talking about the performance last night.

u2 had the opportunity last night to have people outside of this circle talking about them today on a goddam tee. so freaking what if they played it and it wasn't absolutely perfect? they couldn't even play the songs they've done a million times perfectly! but with something they haven't done before, people would be talking about u2. they want relevancy? they absolutely need to take advantage every single fucking time they can. they're a bunch of rock stars pushing 60 who were last in the position they want to be in today, fifteen years ago. they're recording and promoting albums like it's still the 80s and 90s and that ship sailed once the dread pirate ship SS Napster showed up just off the coast. you can't do that and be famous anymore and nearly every single person/band who tried that in the 00s and early part of this decade and never adapted to the new reality of social media and internet streaming don't have music careers anymore. u2 say they still want relevancy, they still want to write hits, and then do everything to the fucking contrary.

i'm not mad, despite the fact that i'm sure some people will feel the need to tell me otherwise. in fact i expected more or less exactly what happened, and posted it before the fact in one of these threads if anyone wants to try and call my bluff. i know they still have the talent. we can hear it in demo versions of songs and we can hear it in songs that don't get overcooked or written as "rawk anthem for the teenz". these men are still phenomenal musicians, but as rock stars they are completely in over their head in this decade. i'm frustrated as a long term fan of the band that was to see this band that now is making baffling decisions based on an unattainable goal, and whiffing badly on things that could be sure home runs. just like the one that could have been last night.

today?

nobody gives a fuck about what u2 did last night except us.

they had the power to make it otherwise and decided to play it as safe as possible.

that is indeed what i call a failure. especially for a band that literally built its career on taking big risks.

Last edited:
I echo the Desire love. I think it was quite a surprise. No one was really guessing it would be featured, until the news of it being rehearsed. And even if one did think it would be played, surely no one thought the electric version. Really cool surprise, and lot of thought went into it with the Trump dollar bills.

Makes me giggle at the thought of how damn cool it would be IF they were touring right now sept-oct-nov in America and opened every night with this version of Desire. Dark stage, the police sirens start up and all of a sudden redlights flashing across the stage and band walks out to take instruments and rip into this Trump bashing Desire with dollar bills falling. It would be rare to open with a track not off new album, but I think Desire is known and up tempo enough to kick it all off with energy. The falling dollar bills kinda reminiscent of the confetti during Blinding Lights intro. Reminding everyone that has forgot since zootv, that they still have those balls the size of grapefruits to comment as they wish on politics. It would only work in these months leading up to election. Ahhh, what could have been...

Last edited:
For me, Bono's live vocals have to me been a bit of a slow downward slide since the Elevation tour (I here people say Popmart, but haven't heard enough of that tour). I kind of see him as a vocalist who has moments now rather sustained high levels. And I don't think he does very well after a long break.

It's my opinion, please don't bash me. I don't think they should break up because of it and his studio vocals are still very good.

You don't need to feel like you'll be bashed for your opinion. However, I do disagree. I feel Bono's voice got progressively better after PopMart and especially so right after the end of the Elevation Tour in songs like Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America (both studio and live). Then it was even better during the Vertigo Tour, especially the last leg. Bono's voice was phenomenal from the end of 2006 until after NLOTH released. He did have some rough spots during U2 360; I remember thinking he didn't sound so hot in the first US leg, but otherwise I think he pulled some solid vocals with some notable highlights. I+E tour has been fairly solid too, not great, but not bad either.

I mean, some aspects of his voice have gotten worse and weaker, but I also think some aspects have gotten better. Sometimes it falls apart like it did for a while last night or that TFI Friday performance, but that's nothing new. When was the last time that didn't happen ever so often? Zoo TV?

The perception is that this band spends too much time spinning its wheels going nowhere when it comes to new material. The perception is that they make poor decisions. This iHeart show adds to those perceptions. And perception is everything. I think this is where a lot of the bitterness comes from. For some, me included, this show is a kind of tipping point.

And not even a bit of that point tipped because of the echo chamber we create for ourselves?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

sure, this band wasn't lazy in the past, but when they spend more time on vacation than they do in the studio for years, either they don't have to work ethic to start and finish a product in an efficient amount of time, or they don't care to put in the work ethic. this was a gift wrapped marketing opportunity for anything and it seems like they didn't even bother. it's not like there's no precedent for them playing new songs live, they've done performances where they do a song they've never played before ("American Prayer" and that one for the "46664" concert were both within the last decade or so, and of course glastonbury).

great, so they played an awesome version of desire. so bono's voice turned to shit and he fucked up the lyrics. who cares. both things have happened many times before.

my point is, outside of this forum, nobody gives a fuck about any of that. nobody other than us is talking about the performance last night.

u2 had the opportunity last night to have people outside of this circle talking about them today on a goddam tee. so freaking what if they played it and it wasn't absolutely perfect? they couldn't even play the songs they've done a million times perfectly! but with something they haven't done before, people would be talking about u2. they want relevancy? they absolutely need to take advantage every single fucking time they can. they're a bunch of rock stars pushing 60 who were last in the position they want to be in today, fifteen years ago. they're recording and promoting albums like it's still the 80s and 90s and that ship sailed once the dread pirate ship SS Napster showed up just off the coast. you can't do that and be famous anymore and nearly every single person/band who tried that in the 00s and early part of this decade and never adapted to the new reality of social media and internet streaming don't have music careers anymore. u2 say they still want relevancy, they still want to write hits, and then do everything to the fucking contrary.

i'm not mad, despite the fact that i'm sure some people will feel the need to tell me otherwise. in fact i expected more or less exactly what happened, and posted it before the fact in one of these threads if anyone wants to try and call my bluff. i know they still have the talent. we can hear it in demo versions of songs and we can hear it in songs that don't get overcooked or written as "rawk anthem for the teenz". these men are still phenomenal musicians, but as rock stars they are completely in over their head in this decade. i'm frustrated as a long term fan of the band that was to see this band that now is making baffling decisions based on an unattainable goal, and whiffing badly on things that could be sure home runs. just like the one that could have been last night.

today?

nobody gives a fuck about what u2 did last night except us.

they had the power to make it otherwise and decided to play it as safe as possible.

that is indeed what i call a failure. especially for a band that literally built its career on taking big risks.

Yes, they can finish albums quicker and perhaps second-guess too much, but if we get this before fall 2017 it will be a lightning-fast-by-their-standards follow-up.

But again, what if this wasn't the plan here? I understand being disappointed. I don't understand the culpability assigned to them by some versus the lack of acknowledgement that we were expecting without sufficient evidence.

I was guilty of it, but you know, I come here to speculate.

Somehow it is only now being said frequently that this was a thank you to iheart. And somehow there was an overwhelming insistence till yesterday that EVERYONE playing at the festival were promoting new music, till someone said once that coldplay played last year and didn't play new music.

We expected when we should have hoped. The band didn't deliver. I'm trying to find a nicer way to say it's time to get over it.

Last edited:
We would all not be so up in arms if we had never heard the beach clip, Kygo never did the remix, etc etc and got ours hope up and this would have just been a one off like Dreamforce will probably be too. We assumed this was a promotional vehicle, when it probably wasn't, no idea if they were rehearsing a new single for it or not really besides speculation so it's funny how hope will drive you nuts at times. We think we know the schedule when we really don't, but hopefully that 2017 comment sticks and it is early 2017. It should be pretty clear when the real promotional train starts up and it would be nice to get some teasers beforehand atleast. SOI drop was fun, but we don't need that again. All in all, it was nice to see the boys again and there were some really nice performances in there. I was disappointed too, but nothing could ever break my relationship with this band. Every year we have them is pure gravy.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Cheers. I mean the story IMO should be:

1) U2 completely trolled donald trump and kudos for showing the balls to take a strong political stand at such a time. That's what rock bands should do

2) people close to them and bono saying new album and tour next year, so we can hope, with some evidence, that album comes early next year.

3) they really did a great version of desire, nailed one and raised the roof with pride.

4) we hoped for a new single and didnt get it.

-

I think you can boil down U2's current problems to just this:

They care more about gaining the respect from non-fans than they do about pleasing current-fans.

Like that's all fine and dandy, but music has moved on. To be part of the musical conversation for as long as they did was incredible as it is. And if they focus more on practicing "you do you" then I think the non-fans will come over. It happened to Springsteen. It happened to Pearl Jam. You can't constantly embarrass yourself by forcing yourself into the conversation and expect people to listen to you.

But again, what if this wasn't the plan here? I understand being disappointed. I don't understand the culpability assigned to them by some versus the lack of acknowledgement that we were expecting without sufficient evidence.

it doesn't matter what "the plan" was. in fact i would say if they had new music nearly ready to go and said "nah let's not bother trying" that's even worse. that's not even bothering to make an attempt at all, not "we tried to get it to sound good live in the time we had but we spent too much time on the beach and not enough time working on it, oops".

Last edited:
Here is adam and bono's interview. This is not the one with the album talk, but there is a saucy bit about shoe size.

https://youtu.be/7E_Bn155FZA

I tend to think that the members of U2 have earned the right to sit on whatever beach they want for however long they want.
They really don't owe us jack.
I do agree, though, that if relevance is that important to them, they should cut their vacay by a few days and maybe bust butt a little harder. If not, then they should shut up about relevance and just do yo thing.
:shrug:

it doesn't matter what "the plan" was. in fact i would say if they had new music nearly ready to go and said "nah let's not bother trying" that's even worse. that's not even bothering to make an attempt at all, not "we tried to get it to sound good live in the time we had but we spent too much time on the beach and not enough time working on it, oops".

Seeing the videos it seemed to go over well. The fans knew the songs, loved some of them. Young people got introduced to them. They can be assured of airplay when they release a song/album.

Dude, you just seem angry at this point. We don't know what the plan is. For example, they 'blew' the Superbowl in 2014 and because of the method of release the Apple keynote was a bust. But if that one small detail, not having the album auto-downloaded (#firstworldproblems), worked out that would have been an awesome capitalisation of promotional opportunity.

Not saying they have something as grandiose planned for this, because I don't know. Neither do I know at what level of completion the album is, whether there would be too much gap between the first single and the album in this attention-deficit world if a lead single was released yesterday. Therefore, I cannot justifiably be outraged that they did not play or release a lead single. Disappointed, yes. But for the umpteenth time, that is not down to them making and breaking any promises.

you're completely missing the point. forget it.

Sorry then.

You meanwhile have labelled them lazy without actually having an idea outside rumours whether they have songs ready to play, and at a stage in the album release process to start the promotion vehicle.

Last edited:
Sorry then.

You meanwhile have labelled them lazy without actually having an idea outside rumours whether they have songs ready to play, and at a stage in the album release process to start the promotion vehicle.

what i'm saying is if they really, truly, genuinely mean what they say when they say they want relevance, they should have busted their ass to have something to promote for a promotional booking (seriously, this is the entire purpose of the iheart festival). they should have given themselves enough time to at least rehearse something new, even if the recording isn't quite finished. i'm not sure why people are insisting that this is a silly thing to expect based on what the band has said. write a one-off song or try out something you've got planned as a b-side if you really don't want to spill any beans on the new album (for whatever ridiculous reason you may want to not promote your new album at all at a promotional festival), we know they're capable of that.

alternatively, if someone in their staff booked this gig while not giving the band enough time to finish anything, then that person fucked up massively and should be canned first thing monday morning. in either case there's no way you can call this a success, unless the only real objective was to promote the back catalogue.

anyways the last 24 hours has reminded me why i avoid these threads like the plague. see ya

Here is adam and bono's interview. This is not the one with the album talk, but there is a saucy bit about shoe size.

https://youtu.be/7E_Bn155FZA

Is there one with new album talk? I'm just curious what they said, how they said it, and what their inflections were!

I just watched the entire show on youtube (except Every Breaking Wave, which I can't seem to locate). I feel better after seeing it. They did a pretty decent job, it was probably much better to see it in person. It's not like anybody expected them to bust out "Dirty Day" or "I threw a brick" for this thing. But I was hoping for a new single, like everyone else. There will be more little trinkets of information over the next few months. Keep in mind they have a gig at Dreamforce coming up in a couple week. While that will also just be a greatest hits setlist, maybe we'll have more information at that point.

For me, I'm fine with waiting until 2017. We'll at least have the single in less than 4 months (HOPEFULLY!!!). From the sounds of it, they want it to be early 2017. Probably a single in January, album Feb/March, then from what Joe O said tour in April.

Also, PLEASE do "Desire" in that version from now on. Best it has sounded since Zoo TV.

The outcome of last night was exacly what i expected,so i'm not desapointed.But really,what a useless 40 minutes.And if their presence there was just to say thank you to iheartradio fot playing EBW a few times on their stations in 2015,well thats even more pathetic

But not as pathetic than managing of screwing up a couple of their old hits......even if they had 2 weeks of rehearsal.

The question was brought up a few times since last night but worth repeating...What the hell did they accomplished last night, in terms of going forward ?

Last edited:
Well, they reminded people they're still here. We did get a kick ass Desire, so last night wasn't a total loss.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom