"Singing like a Bird" ... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 02:48 AM
"Singing like a Bird" ...

I hadn't thought about the quote dropped a while back about Bono singing like a bird on this album until just today. Just wondering how us Interferencer's relate that quote to Bono's singing since we've had some exposure to the newest songs for a while now. Any thoughts?

I will offer my own personal thoughts since I'm starting this one

I am in no way trained in vocals or singing, but, my first impression of reading that quote was beautiful, high range and delicate singing, but when I think of Bono on this album, the 'bird' I am thinking of would be as his voice soars and flies around more, smoother, not as raspy, holding onto the oohhh ohhhhhs on songs like Moment of Surrender, White as Snow (not so much on GOYB). It also seems Bono finds or adds a new vocal range or understands the strengths as the band progresses (sans Pop? even though I feel that was where he purposely let go of his voice in a controlled manner in combination with his smoking habits at the time; where as then the crackling kicked in ...Velvet Dress onto ATYCLB/ Beautiful Day) Now he seems to have tightened up the harmonies again when viewing NLOTH as a whole. Just my untrained thoughts

(I'm sorry if this has been posted or discussed already, so if this needs to be merged, I understand...)

Old 07-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

i would say the quote was pretty accurate. it's definitely his best vocal performance since Zooropa.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

He did a damn good job at the beginning of Unknown Caller

I mean he nailed the bird sound.

Plus he sang about a bird in Breathe.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

Pointless trivia - an Umbrella Cockatoo is actually referred to as a U2.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
American's seem to be obsessed with range. Why? Does that mean bass singers like Bing Crosby are shit and Sinatra was shit because he's only a baritone. I much prefer baritone voices to tenor voices. Thom Yorke, Matt Ballemy, Chris Martin, Gary Lightbody, Billy Corgan and that fat guy from Keane all sing like girls. I like Freddie Mercury voice but I much prefer the baritone voices of Elvis, Stipe, Sinatra and Chris Cornell. I prefer bass voices of Nat Cole and Bing. Bono sounds like a baritone, which is why I much much much prefer his voice to Freddie's. But silly people prefer Freddie because he sings higher. Why? It's only a high note. You do realise that Bono and Freddie are both completely different types of voices that's why Freddie is more able naturally in terms of high notes and flexibilty. Whilst Bono's voice is more suited for strength of character and dynamics. Freddie had a one dimensional timbre. And if he had a 4 octave range of course he had training. He spoke with a baritone voice but appears as though he developed into a tenor, only possible through training. Bono couldn't sing with a 4 octave range, his voice is too heavy. Pavarotti had 3 octaves only. Both Bono and Freddie are incapable of singing like the other. It's a bit like compairing a tennis player to a footballer. I swear on littlle Malcolm's life that I never heard a rasp in Bono's voice during ATYCLB, Bomb or their respective tours.

And what about phrasing? You listen to how Julie Andrews used to phrase. Is Bono capable of that?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Refugee

Oh and last week some dweeb pointed out that they don't like Bono's falsetto on MOS Magnificent . They prefer Chris Martin's enhansed studio falsetto. Obviously never heard him live or Speed Of Sound. Bono has a much stronger falsetto than Chris' does nowadays. He obviously never heard Lemon or The First Time
Old 07-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:48 AM
There is nothing wrong with an impressive tenor (Bono, Sting), but there seem to be very few popular artists with bass or bari voices. Falsetto doesn't = range. If you can go from very low notes to high notes it gives you more versatility but doesn't necessarily fit your songwriting approach.

But for the geeky-kid poet kind of lyric writing Gary Lightbody does, his voice fits, I wouldn't call him girly. He's not trained and amazing, but it fits SP.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Annie View Post
I swear on littlle Malcolm's life that I never heard a rasp in Bono's voice during ATYCLB, Bomb or their respective tours.
Please tell me you aren't serious...no rasp?? Hilarious

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Ghost of Love

Quote:
He obviously never heard Lemon or The First Time
The First Time is (noteworthy) example of the strength of Bono's falsetto?? You might want to listen to the rest of the album for better examples.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
Refugee

What about the idiot who proclaimed, in very matter-of-a-fact way, that Bono Bono can sing like Dylan, Morrissey, Lemmy, Niel Tennant, Ian Brown and Brian Johnson, he was being sarcastic. Yet he much prefers he's caterwalking than the show off look what I can do attitude of Chris Martin, Chris Cornell, Cher, Jeff Buckley and Thom York. Where do these people come from? Alison Graham was right when she said that internet message boards are the sanctorary for the dumb. No one bothers to check their facts before they post. Presumably this guy was referring to the tone of these singers when he posted this message. He obviously loves whinny voice because Jeff, Chris Martin and Thom York have very whinny voices. He obviously hasn't heard tham sing live, or heard many songs by Bon Jovi because he is a singer who is well known for employing a gravely chesty sound to his lower register. Chris Cornell's tone is enhanced by using a graphic equalizer because he doesn't have a great tone even if he tries. And how dare Bono sing how his song how he wants to? Yes I am being sarcastic myself now. You've just written a song, it has your name on the credits, but you must sing as though you're an opera or broadway singer, ie with no sense of creativity or individualism. How dare he purposely strain for effect on a song he's just written, or crack during a song when the lyrics contains the word crack (Walk On). How dare Niel Tennant sing in his typical deadpan manner for a song he's just written. If they weren't happy with the vocal they would just do a retake, there's no one telling them how to sing their own songs. They supposed to sing it like that, you stupid thickside. It's like going to the ballet and complaining that there wasn't enough farting. To be unique means you're evil, you must sound the same, look the same and behave the same as everyone else. After all this generic attitude makes life really interesting doesn't it? It's like Noreen in Big Brother. The other day she was saying that she never realized she could get like Halfwit because he looks different to everyone else. He wears different clothes to everyone else . He even has the nerve to say different things than anyone else . Therefore she won't his friend.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Ghost of Love

what the?

:exit:

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
What about the idiot who proclaimed, in very matter-of-a-fact way, that Bono Bono can sing like Dylan, Morrissey, Lemmy, Niel Tennant, Ian Brown and Brian Johnson, he was being sarcastic. Yet he much prefers he's caterwalking than the show off look what I can do attitude of Chris Martin, Chris Cornell, Cher, Jeff Buckley and Thom York. Where do these people come from? Alison Graham was right when she said that internet message boards are the sanctorary for the dumb. No one bothers to check their facts before they post. Presumably this guy was referring to the tone of these singers when he posted this message. He obviously loves whinny voice because Jeff, Chris Martin and Thom York have very whinny voices. He obviously hasn't heard tham sing live, or heard many songs by Bon Jovi because he is a singer who is well known for employing a gravely chesty sound to his lower register. Chris Cornell's tone is enhanced by using a graphic equalizer because he doesn't have a great tone even if he tries. And how dare Bono sing how his song how he wants to? Yes I am being sarcastic myself now. You've just written a song, it has your name on the credits, but you must sing as though you're an opera or broadway singer, ie with no sense of creativity or individualism. How dare he purposely strain for effect on a song he's just written, or crack during a song when the lyrics contains the word crack (Walk On). How dare Niel Tennant sing in his typical deadpan manner for a song he's just written. If they weren't happy with the vocal they would just do a retake, there's no one telling them how to sing their own songs. They supposed to sing it like that, you stupid thickside. It's like going to the ballet and complaining that there wasn't enough farting. To be unique means you're evil, you must sound the same, look the same and behave the same as everyone else. After all this generic attitude makes life really interesting doesn't it? It's like Noreen in Big Brother. The other day she was saying that she never realized she could get like Halfwit because he looks different to everyone else. He wears different clothes to everyone else . He even has the nerve to say different things than anyone else . Therefore she won't his friend.
huh?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Refugee

Plus I think that person who said the slbum was pitchier then ever, I presume that they are getting confused by the fact that Danny, Edge and Brian are joining in the singing on some of the songs. Q magazine and Zane Lowe said that Bono was singing with better technique than on any other album. It is one or the other, it can't be both artful and raw & pitchy all at the same time.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Where are all these reviews that you are always talking about that talk about technique, pitch, and graphic equalizers?

I've never in my life read a review that talked about technique.

They might talk about the strength, mood, or overall quality of a voice but it's usually just a subjective account if they like the person's voice or not.

Tags
bono, bono's voice