Redanka should produce the next U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joydivision8

The Fly
So it suddenly occurred to me yesterday that it would be fantastic to have Redanka produce the next U2 album (after Songs of Ascent). A lot of people dig the Crazy tonight mixes he did, but for me what really caught my ear was his Magnificent "360 mix"....It keeps the structure and everything intact from the original but adds a great thump and slickness...I honestly think that if this had been the original version and had been released as a first single it would have hit pretty big. If you've not heard it, you can go to Redanka's Myspace, there is the "360 edit" version there. His "Power" mix of Vertigo is pretty sweet too.

While I am a fan of NLOTH, I feel like some fresh input in the production area would be great...undoubtedly it would be interesting for U2 to work with a new producer, no matter who it is. Given Bono's recent comments about wanting to stay relevant as far as radio singles etc, I think going with a producer who is more "now" like this would make sense...And the fact that it is someone new with more of an electronica background would inherently push a more expiramental angle for the band at the same time. Any thoughts on this?

So it suddenly occurred to me yesterday that it would be fantastic to have Redanka produce the next U2 album (after Songs of Ascent). A lot of people dig the Crazy tonight mixes he did, but for me what really caught my ear was his Magnificent "360 mix"....It keeps the structure and everything intact from the original but adds a great thump and slickness...I honestly think that if this had been the original version and had been released as a first single it would have hit pretty big. If you've not heard it, you can go to Redanka's Myspace, there is the "360 edit" version there. His "Power" mix of Vertigo is pretty sweet too.

While I am a fan of NLOTH, I feel like some fresh input in the production area would be great...undoubtedly it would be interesting for U2 to work with a new producer, no matter who it is. Given Bono's recent comments about wanting to stay relevant as far as radio singles etc, I think going with a producer who is more "now" like this would make sense...And the fact that it is someone new with more of an electronica background would inherently push a more expiramental angle for the band at the same time. Any thoughts on this?

If U2 want to try to have hits there's a lot worse things they could do than work with Redanka. I'd love if they done something similar to Crazy again, maybe record a song, give it to Redanka to remix and then try to improve on that. I mean Redanka's mix is great but it has a lot of things holding it back and I feel like U2 heard realised the potential it had and managed to make it sound amazing live. Let's just hope SOA doesn't have another middle 3 that don't belong on the album, I'd rather they threw the pop song at the front or the end of the album, kick the album off with a bang than slowly go into the more ambient stuff, but just throwing them in the middle would suck

I was thinking the other day that SOA should b released in a double album format, w/ a 2nd disc of Redanka-like remixes of each of the trax.

Redanka or no, I wouldn't mind another rockin U2 album! :)

BUT it won't be songs of Ascent, or the Spiderman album, OR the Rubin Sessions.... So there are a few projects in line ahead of it!

I love love LOVE CT's remix, and I'd love to see more of Redanka's work in the future. But a whole U2 album full of remixes? I can't possibly see that work. Would be cool if what Disciple said would happen tho, one disc with the regular songs, the other disc remixes. I'd dig that.

you just like redanka, admit it

how about a remix CD by Black Sun Empire?

point is, if you're not into house, dnb, techno, etc, you will associate U2 to some shitty dance music

my brother is/was a dnb DJ in toronto so I can appreciate that dance culture. i actually admit to enjoying dnb and Black Sun Empire. And some electro. And I bought Howie B's Snatch LP back in 1999. So I have an appreciation for the underground dance genre. But I wouldn't want a radio friendly dance DJ producing any U2 LP. It just doesn't fit. Too kitsch for me.

Paul Oakenfold was far less known back in 1992, so I'll give his EBTTRT remix CD a :up: (plus, it wasn't an LP).

What Howie B did on Pop was simply amazing IMHO, the album only faltered because of a very hard deadline (and perhaps the LP's title). On another note, if you check out Kasabian's latest LP, you will notice it:

a) is largely inclusive of the Madchester genre, among the Stone Roses, 808 State, James, Jesus Jones
b) produced by hip-hop producer/ DJ Dan The Automator

I will correct myself in saying that I would appreciate U2 getting into the grittier electronic sounds in underground hip-hop, trip-hop, dnb, etc. It worked for them for Achtung Baby and Pop (on a critical perspective).

I think they've done their amount of electronica/dance, if anything it seems like they want to explore more world influences along with their UF style atmosphere, and given the Rubin stuff, more melodic music. In all honesty, all of those seem more in keeping with them at this time.

Who knows though... maybe someday they'll turn to Kanye West to produce.

Although I like the Crazy tonight remix it gets a little empty after a while, a feeling I have with all these dance/remixed tracks.

I hope U2 continues with Eno etc, I love the sound they have now and I don't care for "big changes" which may turn out to be ones I hate.

^ok, how are any of their LPs considered electronica or dance?

Zooropa is influenced by European synth music, and Pop is influenced by dance music. No neither one is going to fall completely in that category, U2's still a rock band, but those influences are there.

and edge was listening to KMFDM and NIN before writting rifs for Achtung Baby. I get your point. But associating darker, edgier electronic music should not be associated to dance music. Just as Howie B should not be classified as dance music either (the guy who produced Pop). Maybe my whole point is beside the point that Redanka should not produce the next U2 album.

And I wouldn't mind Edge checking out the latest album from NIN and any underground hip-hop from the San Francisco area. Heavy and funky bass rifs and guitar licks are fine with me.

How about George Martin of Beatles fame? He is still alive.

I remember reading he's almost deaf now though. Had to work with his son on producing the LOVE project. Besides they'd never hear the end of "so they really wanna be like the Beatles" in that case.

Anyway...anyone but the familiar faces of Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite.

if u2 has an album produced by redanka, i can finally quit caring about them. it would be a sad day, but it sure would save me a lot of money.

I remember reading he's almost deaf now though. Had to work with his son on producing the LOVE project. Besides they'd never hear the end of "so they really wanna be like the Beatles" in that case.

Anyway...anyone but the familiar faces of Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite.

I agree that Giles Martin would be nice pick in the future.
Now I'm curious about what Rick Rubin has done to U2 tracks.
It seems U2 are keen to go back to the tracks they left in the can.

I think that if U2 really want a fresh producer who can take them in a different direction, they should go with Nigel Godrich. Not only has he worked on nearly Radiohead album (which have widely different styles), he helped McCartney turn out his best work in a decade with Chaos and Creation. I think he would really push U2 into uncomfortable territory and get some great work out of them.

Just get Redanka to work his magic on the Rick Rubin sessions. There's your hit album right there.
(Also, this is probably a bit "out there," but I would be curious to see what would happen if U2 teamed up with Danger Mouse. Maybe not for a full album, but having him help produce one or two songs would be interesting.)
EDIT: On the subject of Danger Mouse, he's recently formed a new band with James Mercer of The Shins:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Bells)

Back
Top Bottom