Rate the Song: Invisible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Invisible on a scale of 0 to 10.

• Total voters
Well may be I am wrong here, but it sounds TOO computerized for U2 (read that very well ... for U2 standards). I have tried to listen too it again yesterday even with the subwoofer on and it still feels like a drumcomputer and same with the synthesizer edge. Is that really Edge playing there? I tried to imagine the song with real sounding drums and guitar then it could sound great. But at the moment the song is not catching me. I think this might be the first time as far as I can remember. God Part II is a very cool song, but those drums don't sound like a drumcomputer. Ah well I will give it try this afternoon when I'm back at home. Or maybe I'm expecting different songs when Bono keeps saying that Edge is on fire.

Yes. Edge is playing. A real guitar. It has a lot of effects on it, but this is not the first time that that has been the case. See: 1991-1997.

OK, then what? More halfhearted music that has some elements of experimentation without really going for it?

I'd rather they just do something entirely different.

I will never understand this notion that if its not full on "experimentation" then it's halfhearted. What a load of fucking shit.

Apply that notion to every other band and you'd stop listening to music. Yes, even the sacred Radiohead.

Thanks dig for the song Poll, I reminisce the more "Innocent Days" of Interland when all we had to fight about is to where to put Miami in the POP rate the song poll.

That being said, I'd love them to do a loud, heavy shoegaze style record, something like Jesu or Alcest. I think they'd do that really well. Just let the band serve as a canvas for Edge to create a world.

imo U2 was doing post-rock in 1984

but yea i'd fuckin love that.

I give Invisible a solid 7. It's not a WOW kind of song, but it's catchy and well-produced. it also manages to both sound like U2 and sound not quite like anything they've done before, though it's not a drastic departure to be sure. mostly it just makes me wanna hear the rest of the album. consider me intrigued.

U2 Don't Take Your Guns to Town (A Tribute to Johnny Cash) - YouTube

Listen to this and the "baby" version of TTTYAATW.

You can say you don't like the idea all you want but these songs are played in a fun, natural, and lighthearted way and they also happen to sound great. Please tell me how they sound "forced." I hear the exact opposite.

Thats fine, and trust me out of anyone on this board I would like to hear U2 do an honest to goodness reggae song (not a reggae-fied cover), why the hell not. But a whole album of reggae and/or other genres? How bout they do this when they're completely out of ideas for music that they are known for? :doh:

I think the best they could do would be like Arcade Fire:

Flashbulb Eyes - Arcade Fire - YouTube

No. I don't agree with Redhill's premise of an entire album at all, but they could do decidedly better than Flashbulb Eyes...and I actually think it's a decent track.

Why? Two words: Win Butler. Who, incidentally and for the most part, is why the music on Reflektor in general far overshadows the lyrics.

Bono would do better. Absolutely.

I didn't say it had to be the best "rock band doing a reggae album" of all time. I said that's what I would like and I think it would be exceptional and would fit them perfectly somehow. I hear it as being more lighthearted than Police but with some intricate drum patterns from Larry which would be quite welcome.

BTW, I'm quite aware I used a cover as an example. So what? It's the sound I'm talking about and they really pulled it off. The flavor they put on it was all theirs as well.

I like the "POP meets reggae" style and I would love to hear an album of it. Picture an electro reggae album done in a (mostly) lighthearted way with a few serious tracks.

Jesus, the more you describe this album the worse it gets. I'm getting the cartoonish Snoop Lion vibe here.

The reason that The Police sound works immensely is that it is not a particularly "lighthearted" attempt at reggae music. There's a huge amount of respect there and it's interwoven into the core of the sound and interpreted with a reverence almost.

Don't Take Your Guns To Town isn't quality music. It's fun, it's likeable, but it certainly gives off the vibe of four Irish guys getting drunk and/or high and banging out some island music for fun. You want an album of that?

And why haven't you mentioned Playboy Mansion? Sweetest Thing? Even I Threw A Brick, for cryin out loud? Those are far better examples of reggae-influenced U2. No, instead you go for the cartoonish happy go lucky Johnny Cash cover. Ugh.

Don't Take Your Guns To Town isn't quality music. It's fun, it's likeable, but it certainly gives off the vibe of four Irish guys getting drunk and/or high and banging out some island music for fun. You want an album of that?

Yes....and yes, it is quality music to my ears. Shimmering guitar work with a great tone, Bono holding the note well without straining on the chorus, Adam obviously enjoying himself, Larry playing some intricate (for him) patterns with great timing...where is the lack of "quality" in all that?

Remember, however, I said as a quick release after a "proper" album. That's one of the reasons Zooropa worked so well.

where is the lack of "quality" in all that?

I meant in terms of reggae music. It's cheese fluff. It's the kind of reggae cover song you hear a no-name resort band playing on the north coast while you drink watered down pina coladas until you can't move. You're so hammered after the 17th drink that everything starts to sound like a reinterprative masterpiece. U2 did it already. Another album...or even few songs of it? Pass.

Like I said, I'd much rather they do an actual reggae song. One very well done tune. :up:

Well may be I am wrong here, but it sounds TOO computerized for U2 (read that very well ... for U2 standards). I have tried to listen too it again yesterday even with the subwoofer on and it still feels like a drumcomputer and same with the synthesizer edge. Is that really Edge playing there? I tried to imagine the song with real sounding drums and guitar then it could sound great. But at the moment the song is not catching me. I think this might be the first time as far as I can remember. God Part II is a very cool song, but those drums don't sound like a drumcomputer. Ah well I will give it try this afternoon when I'm back at home. Or maybe I'm expecting different songs when Bono keeps saying that Edge is on fire.

Just curious, what are you using to listen to the song with? A phone or something?

Maybe I'm being overzealous, but I rated a ten. I've listened to it fifty times and I love it more each time. Can't wait for the next big thing!

:hyper:

At 212 votes, Invisible has moved up slightly. It is in 93rd place, sandwiched between "40" and Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad.

It's actually dropped 10 spots, unless you've checked its placement since Sunday and I missed it. It was 83rd before.

Yes....and yes, it is quality music to my ears. Shimmering guitar work with a great tone, Bono holding the note well without straining on the chorus, Adam obviously enjoying himself, Larry playing some intricate (for him) patterns with great timing...where is the lack of "quality" in all that?

Remember, however, I said as a quick release after a "proper" album. That's one of the reasons Zooropa worked so well.

Holy crap, what are you talking about? Where is Bono holding any notes in the chorus, what are you describing as "shimmering" guitar?

I've always enjoyed their take on this, but seriously what version are you listening to?

:up:

Almost all U2 songs sound better live, more than any other band, it's where they really come alive. I almost exclusively listen to live stuff when I'm listening to U2.

This is true.. U2 are by far the best band ive seen live. Their performances give off such an energy, its almost spiritual. Even Boots sounded half decent live.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

At 212 votes, Invisible has moved up slightly. It is in 93rd place, sandwiched between "40" and Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad.

Its rank hasn't surprised me that much. I mean, you start getting into a pool of mid-level material pretty quickly around #100....mostly because this band doesn't have that many more album tracks than 100.

As far as you redoing the massive poll, I wouldn't begin that until about six months after the album is out. Including the new tracks would make it worthwhile and letting them simmer down would make it more fair (we all know that practically every track on the new album would do much better a week after the album's release than six months after).

At 223 votes (the new votes include two 0s [!]), Invisible has slipped substantially to 105th place with a mean of 7.4215246637. It is just below Daddy's Gonna Pay and just above Miracle Drug.

I declare it to be a 6. Its high points (chorus, @ 2:35) are solid highs, but the verses feel like filler and the "dream/not as such/that much" lines are awful. Luckily, "awesome chorus, weak verses" is a time-tested formula for successful songs. If you have to sell a car with a ding, that's the way to do it.

Gonna keep an eye on it for live performances and the eventual album version, though- I get the feeling there's a kind of Age of Consent sort of energy on the bass that they haven't quite cracked yet.

Back
Top Bottom