Ranking 'No Line On The Horizon' as an album title

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. The Joshua Tree
1.5. Titanium Soul
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. Achtung Baby
4. Under A Blood Red Sky
5. October
6. Zooropa
7. No Line on the Horizon
8. Achtung Baby!
9. Rattle and Hum
10. Pop
11. War
12. Boy
13. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

U2's titles in isolation have tended to be fairly mediocre, but some of them become pretty good when put in the context of the music. Boy is the best example. It's a bland, boring title by itself, but becomes a great title once you consider it in connection with the music - no other title would fit quite so well.

But in isolation:

Great
1. Under A Blood Red Sky
2. Zooropa
3. No Line On The Horizon

Decent
4. The Joshua Tree

Meh, not too bad
5. War
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind
7. October

Not good
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. Rattle And Hum
10. Boy

Fucking terrible
11. Original Soundtracks 1
12. Achtung Baby
13. Pop
14. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Personally, I hope U2 never release an album called "Man" :down:

1. Achtung Baby
2. Rattle & Hum
3. Zooropa
4. War
5. The Joshua Tree
6. Boy
7. POP
9. NLOTH
10. ATYCLB
11. HTDAAB
12. October

Personally, I don't really like No Line On The Horizon as a title.

Rattle and Hum, War, Zooropa and The Joshua Tree are really the only ones I think are half decent.

Boy
Pop
War
October
Zooropa
Achtung Baby
Rattle and Hum
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
No Line on the Horizon
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

I like short album names.

Personally, I don't really like No Line On The Horizon as a title.

Rattle and Hum, War, Zooropa and The Joshua Tree are really the only ones I think are half decent.

We share the same top 5...although you've missed out Achtung Baby :sexywink: Maybe I just like Achtung Baby as a title so much because I love the album, but it's actually up there as one of my all-time favourite album titles (also in there: Beggars Banquet, Blood on the Tracks, Heartattack & Vine, Highway 61 Revisited, Darkness on the Edge of Town...Chinese Democracy, X & Y, Justified :lol:)

1. Achtung Baby
2. Rattle & Hum
3. Zooropa
4. The Joshua Tree
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Under A Blood Red Sky
7. October
8. Pop
9. War
10. No Line On The Horizon
11. HTDAAB
12. ATYCLB
13. Boy

Titles I like:

The Unforgettable Fire
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
All That You Can't Leave Behind
No Line On The Horizon
Zooropa
Boy
War

Titles I don't:

October
Rattle and Hum
Pop
Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree

By far Pop is the worst album title; great album , but utter shit title.

U2's titles in isolation have tended to be fairly mediocre, but some of them become pretty good when put in the context of the music. Boy is the best example. It's a bland, boring title by itself, but becomes a great title once you consider it in connection with the music - no other title would fit quite so well.

But in isolation:

Great
1. Under A Blood Red Sky
2. Zooropa
3. No Line On The Horizon

Decent
4. The Joshua Tree

Meh, not too bad
5. War
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind
7. October

Not good
9. Rattle And Hum
10. Boy

Fucking terrible
11. Original Soundtracks 1
12. Achtung Baby
13. Pop
14. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

I almost completely agree, except that I think 'The Unforgettable Fire' is a great title...

I almost completely agree, except that I think 'The Unforgettable Fire' is a great title...

I may be a total fanlad for The Unforgettable Fire, but the title's honestly never done anything for me (that's not to say I hate it, though). It's possibly my least favourite aspect of the album.

My favourite two titles are Rattle & Hum and Under A Blood Red Sky, though UABRS isn't exactly an album. More like an EP.

I may be a total fanlad for The Unforgettable Fire, but the title's honestly never done anything for me (that's not to say I hate it, though). It's possibly my least favourite aspect of the album.

Mine is probably some of the poor mixing. Or mastering. The washiness of some of the cymbals.

I give it one point because NLOTH reminds me of Hoth which is totally badass.

Throw in some AT-AT's on the cover and that's got to be worth something.

hoth2.jpg

NLOTH reminds me of a sloth, no wonder it's taking so long to come out. :hmm:

UH! It's hideous! Please delete it now before it shatters my computer screen. :reject:

Great

1. JT
2. War
3. UF
4. NLOTH

Very good

5. Boy
6. Zooropa
7. ATYCLB

Okay

8. Rattle and Hum
9. October

Weak

10. HTDAAB
11. Pop
12. AB

I question the intelligence of people who say that "no line on the horizon" makes no sense. It's pretty obvious what it means.

It's a bit clunky as an album title, but I very much like the phrase. It is brooding and intriguing.

To me No Line On The Horizons sounds dark and even bleak. It's a good album name.

I don't know if there is already a thread about this one...

How would you rank 'No Line On The Horizon' as an album title?

1. The Joshua Tree
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. Achtung Baby
4. Boy
5. War
6. No Line On The Horizon
7. Under A Blood Red Sky
8. Pop
9. October
10. Zooropa
11. Rattle & Hum
12. All That You Can't Leave Behind
13. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
I would rank it very low - if the name is coming from a song title I think "Winter" would have been better or even "Moment Of Surrender"

They could've even had a bit of fun and called it "Magnificent", bit of a joke to throw the unsuspecting potential listener off the scent in the same vain as Achtung Baby

I would rank it very low - if the name is coming from a song title I think "Winter" would have been better or even "Moment Of Surrender"

They could've even had a bit of fun and called it "Magnificent", bit of a joke to throw the unsuspecting potential listener off the scent in the same vain as Achtung Baby

Wasn't there actually a rumour back in the days of the last album release that it was going to be called Winter? How long has this title been around, I wonder? :hmm:

Ah, found it!
(05-04-2004) Rumor: U2 Bringing on 'Winter'? -- Interference.com *
Rumor: U2 Bringing on 'Winter'?

DJ Uncle Joe Benson of Los Angeles' classic rock station Arrow 93.1 recently reported that the forthcoming U2 album may be called "Winter." Benson acknowledged that there has been no official word on the title but the semi-official buzz on "Winter" is strong.

As always, for updates on U2's next album, stay tuned to Interference.com.

Thanks to Uncle Joe!!

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...ringing-on-winter-interference-com-91372.html

Back
Top Bottom