Quote from Eno re new U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
taken from this months Q Magazine..

You’ve worked on several albums that became hugely successful and/or influential: U2, Talking Heads, David Bowie. Did they ever feel like leaps in the dark that might go horribly wrong?

[Laughs] Nearly always. When I started with U2 [on 1984’s The Unforgettable Fire] I didn’t know what would happen. I thought it was a pretty strange idea, to tell you the truth. I thought, “What do they want me for?” I remember having a phone call with Bono and I said, “If I come on board I’m going to change a lot of what you’re doing.” And he said, “That’s exactly what we want.” On both sides there has to be recognition that we’re getting together to do something that will surprise everybody, including us. On this record [Eno is currently working with U2 again], we didn’t start out with the idea, “OK, we’re going to make another U2 album.” We’re just going to make music. And what we’ve done so far doesn’t sound like another U2 album, but I think it will do.”

"But I think it will do"? That sounds less than enthusiastic.

Nonetheless, his comment has piqued my curiosity a bit. It'll be cool to hear what new direction U2 are heading in.

re. the "I think it will do" part, Eno is a bit like this, very understated. I'm a huge Eno fan and from this one little quote I think he knows that this could well be something a little special. I think this record, whatever it is, could be a little bit peverse and I think everyone in the camp probably knows it will change the 00's perception of U2. I honestly don't believe we're in for another ATYCLB or HTDAAB... but we'll see!

I can picture him now saying that last line with that little twinkle in his eye that he gets...

understated indeed.

yes this is good news, I wouldn't think too much about the "I think it will do" part....my anticipation for the new album is growing even more...:drool: :drool:

Was it confirmed Eno is working on the next U2 album ? He might be referring to the Morocco "NOT U2/Passengers part II" project with Lanois.

U2girl said:
Was it confirmed Eno is working on the next U2 album ? He might be referring to the Morocco "NOT U2/Passengers part II" project with Lanois.

I'm starting to think that the Fez sessions is both for the seperate project with the six of them and the album which involves just the bandmembers of U2 considering the amount of material that apparently came out of it.

Danny commented on the groupsinging chorus from Fez recently.
This is what I think he said about U2 giving him the permission to use it in his film:
"I thought they're not gonna let one of the choruses come out before their own record."

Here's the interview:
http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=1780

Last edited:
The_Edge89 said:

"They're not gonna let one of the choruses come out before their own record."

So does this also mean the new U2 album is released BEFORE the 'Passengers' album?

BANZAI said:

So does this also mean the new U2 album is released BEFORE the 'Passengers' album?

It sounded to me the way he said it that it was the chorus of a U2 song for the bands next album.

"We've done a lot of group singing on U2 records in the past and it's nice to finally have it on video" or whatever he followed that comment up with further proves that to me.

As I said, these recent comments by Brian and Daniel makes me a bit confused about what the Fez sessions were for, but it is likely to guess that it is for both projects given the large number of pieces they got together in Morocco according to Adam.

Last edited:
I think we need to stop using the Passengers II label. The band's never labeled their current Morocco project. For all we know, it might be released as "U2 with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois."

I can just picture the reaction of some when the record does come out... "I thought this was supposed to be another Passengers record! I hate this! blah blah bitch bitch"

Dorian Gray said:
I think we need to stop using the Passengers II label. The band's never labeled their current Morocco project. For all we know, it might be released as "U2 with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois."

I can just picture the reaction of some when the record does come out... "I thought this was supposed to be another Passengers record! I hate this! blah blah bitch bitch"

That's 100% exactily what I think :up:.

Dorian Gray said:

Um, well the band haven't actually said shit about any of these projects, but it's not as if someone just made up the "Passengers" thing, it did come from someone within the U2 camp.

it sounds to me that they have just written and recorded a lot of material at various sessions with various people and they may pick some of the more obscure ambient songs for another project. It's something that has always fascinated me because I can hear a lot of Eno and Lanois on all of their U2 collaborations and I think that they may borderline on getting actual songwriting credits for a lot of stuff. In fact I think that this has probably caused quite a bit of tension in the past.

U2 are a band that get really involved with lots of people in making records, they aren't a self-sufficient unit like say Interpol. But that's not a bad thing I think it's actually kept them pretty fresh and open to ideas especially in the 90's. But I do hear a lot of Eno in U2.

Because we know so much about the band and their movements but very little about the music at the moment there is a lot of wild speculation. But IMO they have felt the need to do something different this time and have hawked themselves around to various people looking to find a spark. Something tells me that they may have found it. We do seem obsessed on here though with the notion of two distinct projects and two distinct sounds. I think we may be surprised because the process this time sounds a lot less structured and more open, and i don't actually think the band themselves want to pin anything down yet. Although on here we almost seem to want to know everything before even the band has decided which song goes where!

I'm happy to rejoice in the fact that I think the Vertigo Tour was a full stop much like the Lovetown Tour was. The notion that they rediscovered their past on the last tour leaves me thinking that they are about to reject it again and as I said earlier, get a bit perverse. Maybe start the next shows with 8 new songs etc and not give a toss.

Bring it on is what I say...

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Um, well the band haven't actually said shit about any of these projects, but it's not as if someone just made up the "Passengers" thing, it did come from someone within the U2 camp.

did it? can you link to this?

EDIT: if you're talking about the Steve Averill quote, about the two projects the band is working on, there's no mention of the Passengers label, just an album and a non-U2 project. (spidey?)

EDIT #2: ok, so the words "similar to Passengers" are used, but still this is something differernt.

bottom line is we're all over-analyzing. myself included

Last edited:
Dorian Gray said:

did it? can you link to this?

EDIT: if you're talking about the Steve Averill quote, about the two projects the band is working on, there's no mention of the Passengers label, just an album and a non-U2 project. (spidey?)

EDIT #2: ok, so the words "similar to Passengers" are used, but still this is something differernt.

bottom line is we're all over-analyzing. myself included

A project similar to the Passengers that won't be a U2 album where Eno and Lanois will be equal collaborators and a new full U2 project.

Like I said, nothing in this quote equates with anything we've heard about the Spidey project.

Dorian Gray said:

"Passengers II" is just a way of saying the Morocco/Eno/Lanois project won't be an official U2 album.

Steve Averill said as much, and it was as late as Fall 2006 when Edge said it looked like Rick Rubin was producing the U2 album. He also said they have two distinctively different sets of material.

We should all stop worrying,by all accounts the band have a fresh new sound and we will hear it next year. I for one think this next album is gonna blow people away.

It's funny how rumor and vague claims can become rock solid fact if you repeat them enough.

It's like the Bush administration around here.

Edge also said that the material could just become a 12 inch single for all he knew. Let's run with that one!:wink:

I'm hoping for a different sound this time, and from what we've heard it's gonna be something that doesn't sound like HTDAAB and ATYCLB. Let's hope it won't be too poppy.

josh82 said:
I'm hoping for a different sound this time, and from what we've heard it's gonna be something that doesn't sound like HTDAAB and ATYCLB. Let's hope it won't be too poppy.

It will be a masterpiece. End of discussion. :)

Axver said:
"But I think it will do"? That sounds less than enthusiastic.

This really depends on how you read it. When I read it I thought it sounded like he meant 'I think it will probably sound more like U2 as the sound develops.'

KUEFC09U2 said:
We’re just going to make music. And what we’ve done so far doesn’t sound like another U2 album, but I think it will do.”

shart1780 said:
I don't know. I'd almost be happier hearing him say the album sucks than how the Edge is on fire.

:huh: You need to get a new interest. One that you can actually, you know....enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom