on Danger Mouse's production

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Article is idiotic. Does Gorillaz sound exactly like Broken Bells? Does Norah Jones sound like Black Keys? Yes, there's a distinct current that flavors everything he does, but it never overpowers the sound of the band itself.

I'm expecting a clean, electronic, danceable funky sound with lots of falsetto, similar to Numb, Lemon with melodies from the middle east, ala Man and a Woman. I don't like electronica for the sake of electronica. DM will give it purpose.

I'm expecting a clean, electronic, danceable funky sound with lots of falsetto, similar to Numb, Lemon with melodies from the middle east, ala Man and a Woman.

:lol:

all these expectations! i seriously have no clue what to expect this time round, i never do! lol

If you're going to author an article that presumes to dissect DM's sound down to its hallmarks, you lose all credibility right off the bat for failing to notice the spaghetti Western score influence that's all over his work from hip hop to rock, you don't even have to be able to hear it yourself anymore thanks to his Rome album that called out this obsession.

If you're going to author an article that presumes to dissect DM's sound down to its hallmarks, you lose all credibility right off the bat for failing to notice the spaghetti Western score influence that's all over his work from hip hop to rock, you don't even have to be able to hear it yourself anymore thanks to his Rome album that called out this obsession.

For me, that falls right in with his 60's obsession. Plus, it kinda proves the dude has a signature at this point.

Eno has a signature sound. Lanois has a signature sound. Albini has a signature sound. Phil Spector had a signature sound.

No sure why the suggestion Danger Mouse has a signature sound is so offensive. It happens. It's why they get work.

Danger Mouse's involvement is actually getting me pretty hyped for this album. Dark Night of the Soul is one of my favorite albums for good reason -- and it's not all because of Sparklehorse. If he can slather on U2 a little of what he slathered on that record there's a very good chance that it'll be friggin' fantastic. Very excited to see how it'll pan out. Listen to Dark Night of the Soul if you haven't. It's amazing.

Danger Mouse's involvement is actually getting me pretty hyped for this album. Dark Night of the Soul is one of my favorite albums for good reason -- and it's not all because of Sparklehorse. If he can slather on U2 a little of what he slathered on that record there's a very good chance that it'll be friggin' fantastic. Very excited to see how it'll pan out. Listen to Dark Night of the Soul if you haven't. It's amazing.

Yes! Dark Night of the Soul is great. I love Sparklehorse (actually got to see them live in Manchester) and that project was very special indeed.

I'm excited that U2 have got Danger Mouse involved. He seems experimental and creative and I hope he inspires something in them to get hungry for the art and feeling of the music instead of the hit single.

this is great

Danger Mouse - Esquire

THE DANGER MOUSE GUIDE TO SUCCESSFUL PARTNERSHIPS
I'm very lucky to be part of Beck's overall body of work. Same thing with Damon Albarn's career. But I've never looked at what I do as simply helping someone make his record better. You have to want to work with me. And if you're jumping in the boat, I'm going to paddle as hard as I can. This is how to do it:
1. Be an apprentice. Each collaborator adds to your collective knowledge. They're all teachers. Ideas move to the next project.
2. Contain your ego. It doesn't get in the way early on. Early on, you're just happy to solve problems. Later on, you can't let ego suggest the same solutions to new problems.
3. Reject the past. Take Beck, for instance: I don't think about his past work. I let him think about that. Whatever else he's done doesn't make a difference to me. Here's what matters: "Would it actually work?" And it did.
4. Paddle really, really hard. (See above.)
5. Embrace the misery. I sometimes take too much responsibility for what music can do, for its role in shaping the world. But great records come from miserable times.

I wasn't impressed with Rome, but I really like Broken Bells. I think it's mostly Jack White's fault; he's so hit-and-miss. I need to listen to Dark Night of the Soul sometime.

Instead of DM, I wish U2 would have hired Aaron and Bryce Dessner of The National to produce. The National's latest album is a masterpiece and I think they could make better use of Bono's voice and Larry's drumming.

Larry's drums have been buried too deep in the mix ever since Achtung Baby...

Instead of DM, I wish U2 would have hired Aaron and Bryce Dessner of The National to produce. The National's latest album is a masterpiece and I think they could make better use of Bono's voice and Larry's drumming.

Larry's drums have been buried too deep in the mix ever since Achtung Baby...

I just want The National to open for U2 next year.

You're probably right - I got the Black Eyed Peas (pure crap) at the Rose Bowl the last time around...

I just barfed a little. :sexywink:

Luckily we got Muse in South America. :rockon: It was amazing, although most of the audience didn't know who they were and some even started booing them, yelling how much they wanted U2 to come on stage. Idiots.

Not all singers need their own spaceship to offer a rewarding listening experience

darkness-630x472.jpg

I wasn't impressed with Rome, but I really like Broken Bells. I think it's mostly Jack White's fault; he's so hit-and-miss. I need to listen to Dark Night of the Soul sometime.

I dont think Jack White had much input into Rome beyond vocals..

Dark Night of the Soul has some incredible moments. I hear Every Breaking Wave through the filter of this kind of production..

Dark Night of the Soul - Revenge - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom