on Danger Mouse's production

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
of course there are acts from the 80s who tour and have a fan base but commercially and especially for the charts they are irrelevant

for example prince, Rolling stones, bruce springsteen,etc, they have high grossed tours but when did you see them on the hot 100 for the last time ?

Well, Bruce may not have high-charting singles but having an album debut at #1 is nothing to sniff at.

DM likes a really "dead" drum sound, in the vein of classic late 60s early 70s rock. Powerful, but not shimmery or sharp. The drums on The Black Keys records he's worked on are good examples of his preferences there.

I was listening the album Brothers tonight. I like the percussion there. Even though you claim it is a "dead" drum sound, it seems to have more force than the drums on the last two U2 albums.

I like just about everything from the Black Keys - except there's always one, major problem - the vocals. I don't want to see Bono go down this road.

Or, you could start a Danger Mouse thread on a Danger Mouse forum, or, if you insist on having a full-on Danger Mouse love-in on a U2 forum created by your Danger Mouse-named user profile, in the section entitled Just The Bang And The Clatter, which is for all musical discussions outside of U2.

This is the U2 section, so any discussion of Danger Mouse will need to be relevant/tie back in to U2 somehow, which is where it's gone at this point. :D

Why do you have to be an ass? Those posts were exactly the sort of thing this thread was created for. Give us all a break. Genuine discussion in this forum is rare to come by these days, and you decided it was time to make someone who was actually trying to contribute feel like dirt

Why do you have to be an ass? Those posts were exactly the sort of thing this thread was created for. Give us all a break. Genuine discussion in this forum is rare to come by these days, and you decided it was time to make someone who was actually trying to contribute feel like dirt

Quit yer fuckin crying it was a gentle ribbing and he went to the wall with it. It's looks like hes got a pretty good handle on how to dish out equal or greater doses of sarcasm himself.

Notably, I did address the points in his post and he completely ignored it.

Personally I like the notion of hospitality. If you're going after some of the other longtime posters who obviously share some of your constellation of characteristics, you probably deserve each other in a sick way, though I would personally love it if you could take it to the Rockem Sockem Robot Nosebleed Room or something. But when you're dealing with a brand new poster with 6 posts under their belt, it might be nice to dial it down a notch.

Maybe I'm not used to a new personality on the board "cheerfully" (no, not sarcastically! lol) suggesting to me in their, what, 3rd post ever that I've veered too far off their desired track of discussion. Imo not a great way to introduce oneself to longtime posters, I mean really what was the purpose of that? Coupled with the username that seemed more appropriate on a DM board rather than, you know, a U2 board, one could hardly be blamed for interpreting it a bit as someone who was here solely to talk DM-shop taking a bit of a sarcastic snip at others who they felt were not on topic, could they? So I dished out a bit of sarcasm in return big deal. Like I said, he played along right back so what's the issue exactly? All this is a bunch of ado about nothing.

If your introduction to a new forum is basically "and yeah, if anyone actually wants to talk about the real subject at hand", do you expect everyone else to answer with hugs and hi fives? Really?

eta: I've been very hospitable to new faces who are here for genuine purposes. As you probably recall..:shrug:

thank you very much!
i appreciate your post

Well, Bruce may not have high-charting singles but having an album debut at #1 is nothing to sniff at.

nowadays albums are so low that in terms acts reach # 1 on bb200 with sales of 40,000

bruce springsteen is a cool guy and i love his music, he is critically acclaimed, but not in the same league like U2 (anymore)

---

He is 64 and still plays 3.5 hour long shows. A league above U2 in that respect.

this guy deserves the respects of us all

he is a god, he has the power to make conservatives democats :hyper:

but we spoke about sales and charts, and lots of my friends who are the same age like me (in their 20s) dont know any song by bruce , they only know him as a rock musician from the past

while u2 had big hits and made impressions on younger generations

nowadays albums are so low that in terms acts reach # 1 on bb200 with sales of 40,000

bruce springsteen is a cool guy and i love his music, he is critically acclaimed, but not in the same league like U2 (anymore)

Commercially no, he isn't anymore. You're right in that regards. He also doesn't TRY nearly as hard as u2 does commercially, and certainly doesn't try to compete with modern pop music, like u2 still claim to want. Hell, just a few years ago he put out an album of folk and bluegrass covers... just cause he wanted to.

Wrecking Ball still sold 200k in its first week. A bit more than your 40k number. And happened to make his "freshest" sounding album in a long time.

I wish U2 would follow his footsteps and just be comfortable with who they are and what they've accomplished, and simply release what they want to release and let the chips fall where they may.

of course there are acts from the 80s who tour and have a fan base but commercially and especially for the charts they are irrelevant

for example prince, Rolling stones, bruce springsteen,etc, they have high grossed tours but when did you see them on the hot 100 for the last time ?

It's the double edged sword round here.

Have big hit= Sell-out who's compromising musical integrity to draw young fans.

Don't have hit= Old fart who is no longer relevant and tours as cash grab.

I subscribe to none of this, but that's the gist of it. It's a dill of a pickle.

I'd agree with that, but even so their most recent album was by no means Californication or By the Way. About a decade off, as a matter of fact ;)

Just after Zooropa came out and "Lemon" came on in the car - a friend said, "Hmmm. I didn't know you like Prince..."

:lol:

When I was a newbie to the band, those were pretty much my own thoughts when I heard Lemon for the first time! The only other song I ever felt the same way about was Duran Duran's Skin Trade, in terms of the lead singer trying out a Prince-style vocal.

Lillywhite says the new album sounds "very professional". In the world of rock, that is not a flattering comment. He knows that U2 despise "professional". I guess Danger Mouse is rather professional sounding, come to think of it. I just find it odd that Lillywhite would say that about a U2 album knowing U2 distinguish the "great" from the "very good" by not sounding "professional". I hope this doesn't mean we get an overproduced album. I enjoy the more raw side of U2, which is why I like the original Linear version of 'Winter' more than the more polished Brothers version. It's also why I like most of the original singles on Pop over the ones they polished up for the Best Of (save 'Numb'). U2 isn't about sounding professional. They are about capturing a moment, and recording while the paint is still wet. That's where the spark of greatness comes from. Diluting themselves with overproduction will cover up that spark. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but that Lillywhite comment just doesn't sit well with me.

Would you post the Lilywhite quote here? I don't remember it exactly but I didn't read it as him describing the music as "professional". I took it as being more about the reasons for the push back.

So really it is a a quote from a guy claiming he met up with Lillywhite instead if an actual quote from Lillywhite himself.

Back
Top Bottom