NLOTH Album Reviews - Professional / Web / Mag Reviews ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry, but this is the best TIME could do?

This person seems to only have a very casual acquaintance with U2.

I think the only valid point that is made is in regard to Bono's awkward lyrics. While there are some truly transcendent lyrical moments on NLOTH, there are also an equal amount of cringe-worthy moments; and unfortunately, great albums sould make you cringe in embarrassment for the lyricist exactly ZERO times. So NLOTH has that against it, especially in IGCIIDGCT (a cringe-worthy title to go with a cringe-worthy lyric) and SUC. These songs are packed to the gills with what Bono assumes are cute little slogans and proverbs, but they all clunk together artlessly and forget to create any sense of atmosphere. So I'll go with that.

But....tuneless? That's ridiculous. And to say that Unknown Caller is a "ham-fisted attempt at life-coaching" just shows this reviewer has no clue on what the song is about.

I would say that, despite the imperfections, NLOTH is full of pulsating LIFE; overflowing with new dimensions and unexpected harmonies. I don't think it's their best ever, because of those glaring cringe-inducing imperfections, but after this decade of U2 mediocrity, it's a welcome convergence of many of U2's best moments...

After reading many reviews and listening to the album quite a few times (not gonna listen to it again until I get my box set ;)) I think its clear that once again U2 has ruffled the feathers of the establishment. For the fans, it's a solid effort. I'm personally loving it by the way and on the other hand... they are simply hating it because of Bono.

Because of his extra curricular activity, journalist are giving it some lukewarm reviews. These people don't seem to get it really. At least we do, right? I like the melodies and to be quite honest, I'm liking the lyrics the more I hear them. They are in a way sophisticated. I like that. I want them to challenge me as a listener and they are surely doing that. So to all you negative a-holes... PISS OFF!!! This is even better then the real thing out there at the moment. You want your "American Idols"? Go right ahead... this is music at is best. Cheers! :wave: My two cents.

I'm sorry, but this is the best TIME could do?

This person seems to only have a very casual acquaintance with U2.

I think the only valid point that is made is in regard to Bono's awkward lyrics. While there are some truly transcendent lyrical moments on NLOTH, there are also an equal amount of cringe-worthy moments; and unfortunately, great albums sould make you cringe in embarrassment for the lyricist exactly ZERO times. So NLOTH has that against it, especially in IGCIIDGCT (a cringe-worthy title to go with a cringe-worthy lyric) and SUC. These songs are packed to the gills with what Bono assumes are cute little slogans and proverbs, but they all clunk together artlessly and forget to create any sense of atmosphere. So I'll go with that.

But....tuneless? That's ridiculous. And to say that Unknown Caller is a "ham-fisted attempt at life-coaching" just shows this reviewer has no clue on what the song is about.

I would say that, despite the imperfections, NLOTH is full of pulsating LIFE; overflowing with new dimensions and unexpected harmonies. I don't think it's their best ever, because of those glaring cringe-inducing imperfections, but after this decade of U2 mediocrity, it's a welcome convergence of many of U2's best moments...

Like I said, people bitch WAAAAAY too much about lyrics. Lyrics for CT and SUC are fine.

I'm sorry, but I don't think people bitch enough about the lyrics.

Music itself is poetry. Poetry that can be ruined by the actual poetry of the lyrics. Artists from Bob Dylan to TV on the Radio have an extra edge because of great lyrics. Lyrics are part of the music. Not complaining about them is like not complaining about bad music.

Most lyrics in rock and roll are ho-hum. And that's fine with me, that's the throwaway essence of pop music. Its when lyrics are worse than average - when they call attention to how horrendous they are by simply being so much less than average, not melding to the music but sticking out like a sore thumb - that they bother me, and that they should bother any serious music fan. Bono's lyrics can occasionally ruin a song in this decade. Not always, not often, but enough on Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy to make me dread their appearance on the album.

I'm sorry, but I don't think people bitch enough about the lyrics.

Most lyrics in rock and roll are ho-hum. And that's fine with me, that's the throwaway essence of pop music. Its when lyrics are worse than average - when they call attention to how horrendous they are by simply being so much less than average, not melding to the music but sticking out like a sore thumb - that they bother me, and that they should bother any serious music fan. Bono's lyrics can occasionally ruin a song in this decade. Not always, not often, but enough on Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy to make me dread their appearance on the album.

Yes, people bitch too much. The voice is just another instrument. If a lyric is bad, but if the melody is fine and the vocals match the melody in a way that the music is good and pleasures me to listen it, I don't think lyrics are a big deal. Of course, I agree that there's lyrics that are bad, but reject an entire song because of its lyrics is IMO dumb.
Like I said, CT and SUC lyrics are fine.

They're fine for you maybe, but not for those who truly care about what the songs are saying. Not what they're saying, but how they're saying it.

I care about poetry. I care about bands who introduce poetry into their music. A song with poor lyrics would unquestionably be better with good lyrics. A song with good lyrics would unquestionably be better with great lyrics. I believe this is inarguable. I think the lyrics throughout NLOTH are "fine." Except in a couple instances, when they are less than "fine." And far below "fine." They are awkward sloganeering that adds up to nonsense. Choppy on Crazy Tonight, plain awful and cliched on Stand Up. This is not fine with me.

They're fine for you maybe, but not for those who truly care about what the songs are saying. Not what they're saying, but how they're saying it.

I care about poetry. I care about bands who introduce poetry into their music. A song with poor lyrics would unquestionably be better with good lyrics. A song with good lyrics would unquestionably be better with great lyrics. I believe this is inarguable. I think the lyrics throughout NLOTH are "fine." Except in a couple instances, when they are less than "fine." And far below "fine." This is not fine with me.

First of all, less arrogance.
I truly care about what the songs are saying. If I didn't I would probably be listening to anything with a good melody. The main reason why Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska is one of my favorite albums is because of its lyrics.
I think that CT and SUC say what they are intended to pretty well. A lyric doesn't need to go all metaphorical or poetic to be good, and like you said yourself, there will always be throwaway lyrics with no other intention than to entertain.
And again, of course it is inarguable. But what is shitte lyrics to some are beautiful poetry to others. It's all about whose ear is listening.
I think you make a big deal out of it, but hey, it's you and I got nothing to do with that. I was just saying that dismiss a whole song cause it has "butter and toast" lyrics or whatever is bitch way too much imo.

I think that Time magazine review was clearly irresponsible. The writer is entitled to his own opinion about the music, but having a person who thinks that one of U2's recent "hits" is "Wild Honey" seriously should not be writing about U2. It's embarrassing.

I think that Time magazine review was clearly irresponsible. The writer is entitled to his own opinion about the music, but having a person who thinks that one of U2's recent "hits" is "Wild Honey" seriously should not be writing about U2. It's embarrassing.

He truly said that? I haven't read Time's review yet....

Half the reason I connected with U2 all those years ago was because of Bono's wonderful lyrics. AB and JT are just poetry.

Now I hear him going on about punching in the numbers at the ATM machine, getting an orange from a tank and beauties going out with idiots. It makes me cringe and it brings down and otherwise great record.

I agree with you about the voice being an instrument. Those are usually my exact words. If the melody is pleasing then that's all that matters.

But it offends me deeply when a man continues to throw cliches out at the top of his lungs. "Stand up for your love!" Who the hell cares? "She's a rainbow and she loves the peaceful life!" What?!?! "Like a small child crossing an 8 lane highway/on the voyage to discovery!" Not clever at all and the single most cringe-inducing moment on the album for me. I don't even mind the "Stop helping God across the road" line - I'm fine with that one! But the "8 lane highway" is just embarassing, not even fun. And yes, embarassing enough to take me out of the whole song. Ughk. I can't help it. No album that ever places in my top ten or twenty or even thirty of a given year has that effect on me; I'm far beyond acceptance of such things. The lyrics in "Get On Your Boots" are throwaway, but they're fine because that's all they are. But Stand Up Comedy is trying to say something, and especially with that "8 lane highway" line ends up cringe-inducing. I can't help it.

I'm not being arrogant, I'm being disgusted!

Half the reason I connected with U2 all those years ago was because of Bono's wonderful lyrics. AB and JT are just poetry.

Now I hear him going on about punching in the numbers at the ATM machine, getting an orange from a tank and beauties going out with idiots. It makes me cringe and it brings down and otherwise great record.

same here, just listening to moment of surrender
even on our wedding day??

Again should we go through some other lyrics from AB and JT?,

"a woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle"

That quote from Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World is actually a quote or a riff on a famous quote from somebody else. It works in the context of the song.

Oh God I can imagine how much shit Bono would get these days if NLOTH had

Baby baby baby
Baby baby baby
Baby baby baby
Light my way

That quote from Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World is actually a quote or a riff on a famous quote from somebody else. It works in the context of the song.

But so do alot of the lyrics from the new album imo? all i know if those lyrics came out today, then bono would be getting slagged of left right and center. but yet because its was the 90's and the band had a bit of attitude (which i now belive they have back) everything was "cool".

Oh God I can imagine how much shit Bono would get these days if NLOTH had

Baby baby baby
Baby baby baby
Baby baby baby
Light my way

Once again, that's fine! That's the definition of fine! Or it was then anyway. He did it then and it fit into the context of an unabashedly pop, but still cool and hip and ultraviolet sounding, song. If he did it now (oh wait, he does!) it would be considered a retread, but you can get away with Baby's all you want. Its when the lyrics go beyond that that they either succeed or fail, and on NLOTH they do both. I'd do anything for a whole album where he just sang that over and over nowadays! No risk of embarassment!

But so do alot of the lyrics from the new album imo? all i know if those lyrics came out today, then bono would be getting slagged of left right and center. but yet because its was the 90's and the band had a bit of attitude (which i now belive they have back) everything was "cool".

Maybe, but I mean, the one from TTTYAATW is really famous. I guess its all about time and place and attitude, you're right.

I agree with you about the voice being an instrument. Those are usually my exact words. If the melody is pleasing then that's all that matters.

But it offends me deeply when a man continues to throw cliches out at the top of his lungs. "Stand up for your love!" Who the hell cares? "She's a rainbow and she loves the peaceful life!" What?!?! "Like a small child crossing an 8 lane highway/on the voyage to discovery!" Not clever at all and the single most cringe-inducing moment on the album for me. I don't even mind the "Stop helping God across the road" line - I'm fine with that one! But the "8 lane highway" is just embarassing, not even fun. And yes, embarassing enough to take me out of the whole song. Ughk. I can't help it. No album that ever places in my top ten or twenty or even thirty of a given year has that effect on me; I'm far beyond acceptance of such things. The lyrics in "Get On Your Boots" are throwaway, but they're fine because that's all they are. But Stand Up Comedy is trying to say something, and especially with that "8 lane highway" line ends up cringe-inducing. I can't help it.

I'm not being arrogant, I'm being disgusted!

I said arrogant because it looked like you said that I was not a truly music fan.
Well, to me STC and CT work fine because to me their lyrics are throwaway entertainment. They say what they want pretty well: "Hey we are songs for you to sing along on the stadiums and dance with us." Their own titles leaves that pretty clear. Hell, they are on the "break" section of the album. To me that's their intention. It's very well done enternaiment. It can be throwaway, but if it's well done throwaway it can better than most serious songs around there. My favorite song of all times IS a throwaway-entertainment-only song. But that's my opinion.
Well anyway, I think we can agree that these discussions are pointless, 'cause in the end it all comes to that boring phrase: "Music is subjective." I'm one of those people that don't believe that there's good music or bad music. Just music that pleases me and music that doesn't. That doesn't make it bad or good. Same for others.

Yeah, exactly. The more great albums you make, the harder they become to top. I'm just thrilled that NLOTH has 3 or 4 "legendary" U2 songs, and the rest of 'em are still fun too, and will sound great live.

On to the tour! :hyper:

BVS, I managed to post between your double post. Suck on that! :lol: :wink:

Mr Mac -

A. What is your favorite song of all time? You've peaked my curiosity!

B. If only you knew me...I am the greatest advocate for music being a completely objective experience! After all, we are all hearing the same song, and that's objective! I know what you'll say: that's where it ends. But I think not.

Regardless, in this case, if it bothers you or not is subjective. But, like I always say, words like "Love" and "hate" are subjective, "good" and "Bad" are objective. One may not be bothered by "bad" lyrics, but they're still "bad."

I know I know, now you'll say, but whether or not I think they're bad is subjective. Well, fooey!

It's weird... the majority of U2 fans here think it's some of the band's best material since AB. On the other hand, others think this is one of U2's worst. Maybe the people writing off the band now are just the casual, singles fan (don't know what to make of the TIME review... "Wild Honey" one of the band's biggest hits this decade? WILD HONEY?!!)

Back
Top Bottom